Making subsequent updates to a vehicle component?

Discussion in 'Component and Mod Packaging' started by Jorgen, May 23, 2013.

1. Jorgen

Jorgen Registered

I have successfully been able to create an update to a vehicle component from version 1.1 to 1.2. It installs fine and works fine in the game too. However, when I attempt to do another update from version 1.2 to 1.3, the Mod Manager says that an update is available, but when I select "Update", the progress window just flashes quickly and nothing more happens. The version stays at 1.2 and no error message is displayed.

I suspect that the manifest that is contained inside the v1.3 .rfcmp file is incorrect, but that is just a guess. I figure that the "BaseSignature" parameter in the v1.3 manifest should reference the "Signature" parameter in the v1.2 manifest, but I suspect it's still referencing the v1.1 signature. Is there any way to unpack an .rfcmp file to see what is inside it?

2. Bee

Bee Former ISI Staff

Check the ModMaker.chm document in your rFactor 2\Support\Tools folder. It should answer most of your questions.

3. Jorgen

Jorgen Registered

Thanks for the reply Bee. Unfortunately, that document only covers the initial packaging. Updates are only mentioned in two paragraphs, so I really cannot figure out how to do successive updates to a single component. The first one seems ok, but the next one doesn't install. That is why I wanted to take a look at the manifest inside the .rfcmp file, but I cannot find any means to look at it other than by installing the update itself, which doesn't work...

4. Jorgen

Jorgen Registered

UPDATE: I still haven't been able to install the 1.3 vehicle component update, and the weirdest thing of all is that it caused game crashes during track loading even though it was not installed... None of the tracks I had installed loaded until I actually removed the .rfcmp file from the packages folder. What is up with that???

Anyway, I would really like to know if I am doing things right from a conceptual point of view. I want to update the .sfx file in a .rfmod package. The .sfx file is part of the vehicle component, which I previously managed to create a physics update 1.2 to. I'm guessing that what I have to do is:

- Create a new update (1.3) to the vehicle component and install it
    - Create an update (1.2) to the .rfmod package and include the new 1.3 vehicle component

Can someone please confirm whether this is even remotely close to being correct from a conceptual point of view?

5. sf4JC

sf4JC Registered

If I understood you correctly, I believe you have it correct. In order for the .rfmod to recognize the updated .rfcmp, you have to make a new or updated .rfmod file. I'm still not too sold on the whole update process though myself. Seems to me, an update just consumes a lot more space. Whereas if I create new component/new mod versions (and uninstall the previous versions), I save space by not having 2 or more versions installed. There may be a good reason for having different versions though (example= saved replay files maybe), but at the added expense of disk space. Someone please correct me if I am wrong.

Scott