Grip

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by slo, May 22, 2013.

1. MaBo974

MaBo974 Registered

I've read elsewhere that with a constant and high FPS (100+) and generally reducing input lag, car handling improves, so catching the slides is easier. Maybe this can explain why opinions are so different.

2. tjc

tjc Registered

Well I`ll test this out pay but I have been going round at very very low speeds, heading back to the pits/cruising round taking it very easy whilst learning a track etc etc and only rarely has this happened to me.

I`ll test it though. :)

3. C3PO

C3PO Registered

I raced a GT4 Vantage at Brands Hatch and the the feel at the wheel with rF2 and the GT cars is spot on.

4. Minibull

Minibull Member

Well in the vid I posted above, I caught 2 slides during that lap, and it really wasnt an issue. However drifting is something altogether different. Im not sure how a good drift car is setup, but I would think the diff settings and big negative cambers in a racecar are totally unsuited to it. I think that some people are expecting to do howling big drifts when things start to go wrong and turn their mistake into something spectacular.

Still, the quick and imo easy way to drive the 60s cars is with a slightly sliding rear end. And yet while many of us can power them round, people will go over the limit while not realizing it, and label them with the icy tag. Commence swap to modern openwheeler, doing speeds twice as fast as the old cars in the corners, overstep the limits again, and bring out the ice label. Hmmmmmmm...

5. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

When your about to enter a corner in your sim car take a quick look at the speed mph/kph so you can appreciate how fast your going

You'd be surprised just how fast you can go around corners without slipping

If you keep slipping then simple -slow down a tad

6. baked bean

baked bean Registered

Hey wadji i was getting used to trackir in that vid so please dont judge on that , plus im no pro race driver either :D

7. Panigale

Panigale Banned

FWIW - I can sort of drift the FR3.5 on wet tires which makes some sense to me. I don't watch drifting but I assume they drift on street tires and not slicks? I've never been on the track on anything but street tires but guys running slicks have said they aren't for amateurs. Once they break loose they aren't as easy to bring back in. Granted, half of what you hear at local track days is good hearted b.s. (nice guys but were all amateurs, cept maybe for the test and tune crowd) but seems to match what we see in rf2 in some cases.

I've lost the rear in the FR3.5 coming out of the last turn at Sepang, (onto the pit straight), and I swore that wasn't correct at that low speed but I have no personal reference for it in RL. Overall the cars, IMO, are very grippy as long as you stay on the racing line and you're progressive with the throttle.

8. baked bean

baked bean Registered

I had just got track ir man, was not showing of no driving skills there, mainly how awareness improved.

9. baked bean

baked bean Registered

Hows this vid? now im showing off ;) was proud of this lap :D

10. nascar2112

nascar2112 Registered

Lol, at the driving on ice comments. As someone who drives on ice a big chunk of the year, rf2 is not even close to ice, i wish i could have rf2's grip on ice, lol

11. RCRacing

RCRacing Registered

Ive been simracing for years and this is not ICE folks. Iracing is ICE. Learn to drive :mad:

12. jjcook

jjcook Registered

I have driven the ice road -NWT- rf2 is not like ice- i would not go more than 60mph on the ice road- in a straight line- and forget about hitting any apexes-

so....rf2 is not like ice- ever...period....

rf2- like real race car driving, the smoother you drive the more grip you will find and the faster your lap times will be - especially in a car like the gtr or marussia

i mostly use the historic f cars and do counter steer maneuvers i have never been able to do in a sim before- regularily as well as correction with throttle in slides - way more feeling than any other sims i have used- i use a g25, and set the ffb to 1.2 to 1.5 depending on the track - up to 2 if i need smoothing for belgium or brianza

Its not perfect but leaps and bounds ahead of the competition imo- if you need a reference in sims- go back and try gpl- it felty like ice people say- but- many learned to drive those cars at a faster than realistic pace

ISI has work to do on the tire model i would agree, i think they do too(not sure)- but the original comments are over the top about the whole ice thing, at least for me - i dont find it icy like ice or oil - the 'green' road needs some patience for sure- but look at monaco this weekend and see how the lap times are falling lower in each practice - obviously they are driving very different to achieve those times- the cars dont get faster in each session - the road gets rubberized and they can push more- they obviously cant push when the road is green- i have to ask are you pushing the car too much in rf2 on a green raod- or maybe are you pushing more than you think ?
    i see many bad drivers go off the road in rf2 ...its sad- especially at the starting lap- sure sign of a novice- i wave as i pass them by to finish the race....

13. Banger

Banger Registered

for a moment there baked bean, at -0:40 on video I was beginning to think you didn't see that car parked on the verge,:)
    good drive. btw does your steering React to the Virtual steering on video. mine doesn't .?

14. 1959nikos

1959nikos Registered

+1, exactly. Agree in everything.

15. baked bean

baked bean Registered

cheers mate, yes its 1 to 1, 540 deg in settings, steering wheel range, if you highlight green the vehicle set option it should be 1 to 1 for you too :)

16. sg333

sg333 Registered

Dont compare sim to sim. Compare sim to reality. Pick any Corvette or Nissan GT racecar onboard footage from youtube, analyse and try drive in a similar manner (good momentum through corners, fast entry, full throttle out of corners). RF2 doesnt like you doing the same. Its like the track is damp/wet or completely cold tires, even when all conditions are optimal.

17. jjcook

jjcook Registered

I think it would be more 'realistic' for you to say 'you dont know how to do it in rfactor 2" rather than that the sim cant do it - i think its your fault you cant do it not the sim - clearly others can - that lap from baked been looks remarkably like the one on f1.com of lewis this year- the track was damp so lewis only did a 1.51....how the hell did baked been do a 1:39 idf you can t push on the throttle...dude its you who cant drive- i mash both those cars on the throttle as i hit the apex

...not to question your abilities but sometimes we have a hard time accepting our own limitations or the computers- im a mid fielder - always will be -

18. kaptainkremmen

kaptainkremmen Registered

I didn't mean to offend. I appreciate it wasn't your best drive, hence why I suggested it wasn't used as a reference in the grip argument. :eek:

19. TIG_green

TIG_green Registered

I didn't post any videos, it was Wajdi you are reffering to, just to be clear.

I was only concerned about the grip in tigh low speed corners on a green track. And as I said with Corvette I felt felt disconnected from the road, but not with GTR.

You can't really "push" in those corners, can you? Or if you do then you spin, but this wasn't the case in my driving, floating with no throttle and floating with 5-10% throttle.

This said, Overall grip levels in rf2 feel realistic to me. I just haven't seen anybody proving my point above wrong. It seems every time someone brings this up somebody goes "it isn't easy to drift", "rf2 doesn't feel like on ice", "warm up your tyres and don't push over the limit" etc. so you are missing the point, I do agree with those comments but my question still remains unanswered.

btw, I think I haven't seen anybody just cruising for 3-5 laps warming up their tyres :p Usually people don't do hotlaps right away because there isn't enough grip to push hard on a green track.

I end with a statment that I like very much how rf2 drives atm, just would like to see small changes in tight slow speed corners.

20. Satangoss

Satangoss Registered

Well, maybe he already found two.

The grip levels are absolutely unrealistic on a "green" track ( I do hate this term). I disagree on which concerns to Race07 (excellent game, by the way) but rF2 physics is much more detailed and has plenty potential. The problem is: it needs calibration.