External sounds from opponents played very loud in cockpit even at a distance

Discussion in 'Technical Archives' started by Jorgen, May 22, 2013.

1. Jorgen

Jorgen Registered

Opponent sounds were set to 70% as with the previous build, but I had external engine sounds play very loud even when the opponent cars were hundreds of meters away. Had to back opponent volume down to 10%, but then the sounds aren't loud enough when opponents are close. Is there a setting to control this, or is it a bug?

2. Jorgen

Jorgen Registered

The previous test was online with real opponents. I just re-tested offline with AI, and the opponent sounds play at a constant volume regardless of the distance to the opponent. The only player file sound option I could find that might be related is this one:

Code:
    Engine Volume Reduction="0.00000" // 0.0-1.0 How much engine volume will be reduced after 53.3 m/s, linearly, until 80 m/s
    Seems more like a volume reduction based on how fast your own vehicle is going though?

3. goonzo

goonzo Registered

Yup, i have the same bug.
    The opponents' volume level is constant, no matter the distance.
    It's a shame, since its very confusing when driving. :(

4. Axly

Axly Registered

Very weird feeling, I constantly expect to see a car close behind in the mirrors, and it's really on the other side of the track...

5. tito

tito Registered

It's the same for me ...

6. cosimo

cosimo Registered

Same here, but only with non-ISI cars, f.ex. the GP79 and the F12013 from ligue.fr.
    No problem with Marussia, FR35, etc...

7. tito

tito Registered

If install b.218 over b.198 ... no problem.

Edit: Sorry wrong way.

Only ISI tracks is OK.

Last edited by a moderator: May 23, 2013
  8. DerKutscher

DerKutscher Registered

This is precisely the problem. Sound bug with costum mods. With isi mods all OK with me!

9. MarcG

MarcG Registered

you need to inform the modders of those mods, happens to me with the T5 mod and ales is aware of it.

10. DerKutscher

DerKutscher Registered

I have already done days ago. Hope he can do something! So go with T5's no longer fun. Sounds at 20 riders like bees 1000000

11. perplex

perplex Registered

sure its just with custom mods ? was testing new build (fresh installed) with f3.5 on mills outer loop in single player and had the same sound problems.. will test more if i find some time

12. Gmilno

Gmilno Registered

after having this happen in new 218 install with T5's I tested all the stock cars and it also only happens with FR 35's as perplex says . . .

>solved< . . . turns out I had v1.0 updated to v1.1 of FR installed - as well as v1.41 - ingame only able to choose v1.1 . . . uninstalled v1.1 and all is well . . .

13. UnitedRacingDesign

UnitedRacingDesign Registered

Guys, its not really a bug, its an update that we need to do actually. There are some changes on sound code in latest build and all mods need to be updated now this way, ISI did update allmost all of there cars sofar but we didnt know about that.

14. Jorgen

Jorgen Registered

Ah, so that was what this release note entry was about then:

One could argue that a better default handling in case of a missing physics value would be desired, instead of forcing all third party mods to be updated, but it's good to know that it's not a bug anyway. Thanks for clearing that up Ales!

EDIT: Been hunting a bit and found this in the FR3.5 .sfx file:

Code:
    // ATTENUTATION
    EngineRange=1.0   // I would highly recommend leaving this at 1.0 if you use the new attenuation
    EngineExp=0.018   // lower values will make the volume higher, higher values will make the volume lower
    EngineAmbient=3.0 // range within which the volume is 100%

ShiftRange=1.0
    ShiftExp=0.018
    ShiftAmbient=3.0

OtherRange=1.0
    OtherExp=0.018
    OtherAmbient=3.0
    Can someone with in-depth knowledge confirm whether it is these parameters which control the engine sound drop-off?

Thanks.

EDIT 2: Confirmed, I modified the .sfx file according to the above settings, and the sounds now drop off as they should.