Set Transparency AA="0" for better performance in rain

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by MaBo974, May 22, 2013.

1. MaBo974

MaBo974 Registered

Since Build 218, I've got less FPS while driving in the rain. Now, disabling Transparency AA in the player.PLR I have the same performance I had in build 198. Not a bug as this is a new feature which use the GPU. Just to share.

2. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

yup transparency aa (adaptive for AMD) will definitely affect frames, while BARELY looking any better in RFactor/RFactor 2, however transparency/adaptive AA works AWESOME in many games, getting you pretty close to Super sampling image quality/jaggies removal, without the insane fps hit.

3. Luc Van Camp

Luc Van Camp Track Team Staff Member

The XPAA setting in the PLR does make a substantial visual difference though. I can't live without it :) .

4. MaBo974

MaBo974 Registered

Please can you point me out a track and position where I can clearly see the differences?

5. Tuttle

Tuttle Technical Art Director - Env Lead

Just a fast example. If you want good looking trees, fences, and everything else using an alpha channel, this is something we absolutely need..:) :

[​IMG]

6. Andreas67

Andreas67 Registered

must transpatent aa be enabled in the control center?

7. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

If ihaving it off gives me another 5% fps I'll switch it off, I really don't look at trees to closey whilst on track

Be good to have the option to have it on ONLY for replays though

8. Luc Van Camp

FYI, my Catalyst Control Center has none of those fancy things enabled most of the time.
    I still can't live without the XPAA option in the PLR :) . It makes a massive difference on vegetation, crowds, grandstands, ... IMO.

9. MaBo974

MaBo974 Registered

Thanks for the effort in creating an animated gif. I can clearly see the differences. Btw actually I have to disable many eye candy staff to have a stable FPS.

10. D1Racer

D1Racer Registered

I don't have an XPAA setting in my PLR file, what line do I add for this?

11. Luc Van Camp

Set Transparency AA="1" :) .

First, make sure you are on 218. Launch/close rF2 and let it add the lines to your existing PLR (if that works), or move your PLR to a different folder and let the game create a new one. That should reveal all the latest PLR options.

12. Radar

Radar Registered

If you are having to disable other eye candy, then it would seem that maybe your graphics card is getting on a bit. My current graphics card is 3 years old now, it was top of the line back then and it's still able to have most settings on. That same card now can go for as little as $120 AUD if not less.

Yes rF2 seems to use a little more frames than some other racing sims, but I think rF2 graphically is starting to get into the right direction of what we would expect visually. This latest update (218) IMO has seen an awesome improvement visually. Unfortunatly some of these improvements require better graphics card, better machines.

I still remember when BF3 came out. Many people updated their hardware just to get Ultra gfx for BF3. I don't see it any different here to be honest.

13. argo0

argo0 Registered

Hi, I need some help understanding this feature. According to a quick google search, Transparency AA is the same as Adaptive AA set to performance in my CCC? Is that correct?
    When I turn on Adaptive AA in CCC, I get weird transparent trees. Why is that?
    If I use CCC for my normal AA but turn on the Transparency AA in the plr, I dont get the clearly wrong transparent trees but is it working? In other words, can you have CCC handling some type of AA while the game handles other forms of AA?
    If our GPU software can do the transpsrency AA, why does it need to be in the plr?
    Confused!!

14. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

1. First of all, 6900 and 7900 (prob other ones aswell) just have "regular", "adaptive" or "supersampling". However, I do remember some older and lower end cards having "adaptive-quality" and "adaptive-performance". In all my experience when given both options, you either used "adaptive-quality", or no adaptive at all. "Adaptive-performance" barely improved IQ over "regular", if at all, while probably still costing frames. It was useless.

2. Adaptive (or adaptive-quality, for other models/drivers), is pretty much the standard AA I use for DX9 games. It gives (for the most part) a great and noticeable improvement over "regular" without destroying frames like "supersampling".

3. For some reason, this awesome IQ improvement that adaptive/adaptive-quality brings to DX9 games doesn't seem to work in RFactor/RFactor 2 much, if at all. MAYBE that is why when you enable it in-game/plr, instead of from the control panel/CCC, it then shows a much better improvement. RF/RF2 probably just doesn't use it good from the control panel (unlike so many other DX9 games), so that is why when you enable it in-game instead, it then acts like it's supposed to.....

15. argo0

argo0 Registered

Thanks Spinelli

16. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

You're welcome. I'm just speculating on point 3 :)

17. MaBo974

MaBo974 Registered

I have a GTX 550Ti which actually is a mid range video card so I have to disable many eye candy stuff but I'm not complaining about this. I just gave an advice to other guys with mid range video cards :). My aim is to have a constant 90 FPS so I do what is needed to got it.

18. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Registered

Sad to report I still have to use SuperSampling (as I have since the beginning of rF1) with an AMD card to have a tolerable looking result (and also get the commensurate huge drop in FPS). As you said, Adaptive works wonders on every game and sim I have ever owned except rF1 and rF2. Complete jaggies-filled mess if it's not on SuperSampling. Too bad, because my FPS would be awesome (probably equal to a comparable nVIDIA card) with that one change. If ISI could fix this issue, 99% of the AMD-card whining and disparity would disappear.

19. Jamezinho

Jamezinho Registered

It would be good to know if the AMD issue will ever be resolved. AA is never particularly satisfactory for me either, regardless of whether I use in-game AA levels or force via Catalyst. Super-sampling is not an option for me, nor should it be a viable solution.

Anyone tried SMAA with this game via Radeonpro?

20. Prodigy

Prodigy Registered

Yes, tried SMAA and FXAA and both are resulting in some kind of blurriness, at least in RF2, it was a bit hard on the eye. Right now I'm forcing AA through RadeonPro, 8x Adaptive and I'm having good results. Super-sampling was the best looking but the FPS drop between those two is too much, on adaptive I'm having 90fps on LimeRock and on Super-S is like 30 fps. Anyway, I'm not touching anything in Catalyst anymore since I've discovered that RPro is much better utility for game profiles.