Beta impressions.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Sofo, May 22, 2013.

1. BlaringFiddle5

BlaringFiddle5 Registered

I have rf1 demo and rf2 ... I was thinking of buying rf1 so I could run the endurance mod thing at Le Mans. The first thing I noticed (having played rf2 first) was that the textures in rf1 are of a MUCH lower quality. Saying that rf2 looks similar to rf1 is like saying a Chevy Impala SS is similar to a Ferrari 458 Italia.

2. bander

bander Registered

3. Kknorpp001

Kknorpp001 Banned

Everything Dmitry is saying makes sense to me and applies to other areas that developers and users are also going to needlessly jump through hoops. The worst parties that some of the areas couldn't have been worse if you tried. The saving grace is that so far rf2 is better physics and ffb-wise than anything else. This will suit the elitist that would rather keep rf2 in a niche. So be it.

4. MarcG

MarcG Registered

Theres three key areas for me:
    FFB
    Physics
    Real Road

If RF2 failed in 2 of those three areas it'd be dead by now IMO, thankfully and in my opinion it excels in the first two and obviously the only one to have the third. Plenty of room for improvement in a vast number of areas, but they'll get there...well they have 5 years :p

5. Kknorpp001

Kknorpp001 Banned

Yeah that's not fair at all. The SS is way better.

6. BlaringFiddle5

BlaringFiddle5 Registered

I have one ... no it isn't - its like driving a big ass pillow with to much power hooked to the front wheels!

7. 1959nikos

1959nikos Registered

It will be a bonus if they do, but it seems your priorities are completely different than mine.

Physics engines, ffb and sounds DO make a SIM.

8. PRC Steve

PRC Steve Registered

Are you actually comparing rf1 tracks in rf1 with converted rf1 tracks in rf2. Many tracks are converted over from rf1 and subsequently look a little dated. Try the scratch built stuff and official ISI content, I can't agree that the graphics haven't improved from rf1 to rf2, Shadows, lighting, reflections, cars, animations etc etc are vastly improved so far and only getting better with each build.

9. Sofo

Sofo Registered

'But the psysics are great' - lol. Thank you for the reminder and your words :p . I have to say that the more i play it, the more i learn to appreciate the fine physics. Yes i'm spoiled graphics wise by some other racing titles and i'm not satisfied in this department. I will hope with you that ISI gets time to do some great visuals too. A last remark. I haven't bought an unfinished game before, but i actually find it interesting following how the game improves, and that ISI are going to spend a long time developing.

10. Davy TASB

Davy TASB Registered

Graphics have moved on quite a bit and some of the changes are subtle. Sim is improving build by build.

OP moans a bit about things that look crap and hopes that ISI gets time to do great visuals but to be brutally honest he aint gonna get much eye candy on any new game with his rig.

(Sounds harsh and maybe snotty, but it's not meant to be, it's just the way it is with PC gaming!)

Last edited by a moderator: May 22, 2013
  11. SimonV6

SimonV6 Registered

Well to simulate what we feel and see when driving a car we need, Physics, FFB, sounds and Graphics, and it shouldn't be impossible with today's PC's either?

12. Axeslayer

Axeslayer Registered

For me better graphics help the immersion factor and also help with the sense of speed .

13. 1959nikos

1959nikos Registered

I really don't know.
    All I know is pcars have joke physics, not to mention Shift For Whatever, F1 2000 something.
    It needs to be proven if both can coexist.
    (a lot of hypo from AC too, we'll see.)

14. SimonV6

SimonV6 Registered

what has pCars got to do with my remark?
    To Simulate driving a car you need Graphics, sound, physics and ffb, thats A FACT... rFactor2 is great but should have more real looking graphics, period ;)
    I just feel thats it is lacking in the graphics area at the moment, I do hope it gets better?

15. kotakotakota

kotakotakota Registered

Sure, graphics do add a sense of immersion that is super nice to have, but to be completely honest, I think it's less important than the other 3 for a sim. Graphically, the bare minimum to have an effective sim is to be able to tell how far away the turn is, how wide the track is, where you are going, be able to see the other cars, etc. Anything more than that is eyecandy, which is, again, super nice, but not required. Good physics, FFB, and perhaps sound on the other hand, I feel like are actual requirements, at the very least the former two.

I agree though, graphics feel pretty lacking, but the biggest factors I find are the tracks, cars, and HDR profiles. If you find a good combination of those three, I think the graphics actually feel OK.

@Sofo, can I ask what cars/tracks/HDR profiles you've tried? Might I suggest Tosch's Malaysia profile?

EDIT: Also check out SweetFX which I believe is mostly just hackish postpro eyecandy, but pretty cool looking nonetheless.

Last edited by a moderator: May 22, 2013
  16. SimonV6

SimonV6 Registered

Well each to his own, but with today's fast PC's I want awesome physics, sound, ffb and graphics, i don't ask for much lol ;)

17. Ronnie

Ronnie Registered

Yes, you are asking for a lot. A LOT.

18. kotakotakota

kotakotakota Registered

Hahaha well I think you are asking for quite a lot :p As far as I'm aware, none of the sims out there have all of these things. They are all lacking in one department or another (though usually FFB and physics are coupled to some degree...). Perhaps Assetto Corsa will change that but it's still a little early to tell... :)

Also, again, SweetFX and Tosch's HDR profiles really do a lot to the graphics.... Though it would be nice if RF2 looked better by default...

Just a couple screens... :)
    [​IMG] (Source)
    [​IMG] (Source)

19. 1959nikos

1959nikos Registered

pcars is a recent example, I didn't use it to upset you :)

Im curious though you did put Graphics on top of your list.
    I believe that rf2 has proven that wrong, and yes, I too do hope it gets better in graphics.

20. Dennis May

Dennis May Registered

Which tracks are these?