First post and megane questions

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by zenrael, May 21, 2013.

1. zenrael

zenrael Registered

Hiya,

Totally addicted to rf2 since getting it; infact it prompted me to swap out my F430 for a g27, however I'm having some learning curve problems with the megane.

I just can't seem to get the technique down, and would appreciate some pointers. I think the problem is with my cornering. On croft for example I can get within a second of the AI through sector one, but then I seem to lose around three to four seconds on sector two.

I'm braking as late as possible, downshifting under braking (or occasionally mid corner), then taking the corner with no brake. I'm lifting the throttle to correct understeer. Should I be drifting this car around? From the videos i've seen on youtube it doesn't look like i should?

Cheers guys,

John

2. kaptainkremmen

kaptainkremmen Registered

The AI use different physics. You will be faster in places and slower in others. Different tracks will probab;y require different AI difficulties.

The best advice I can give with regards how to drive it, is to go as fast as possible with no noise from the tyres :) If you are struggling for pace after the tyres are warm and there is plenty of rubber down you can adjust the setup. Use the setup to keep the tyres quiet. Once your happy you can push harder or ease off depending on tyre temps and race distance.

3. zenrael

zenrael Registered

Thanks. I had no idea that the AI use different physics. With regards to pushing faster - as long as i'm not missing some fundamental technique to the driving; i'm happy. I'll just keep at it and i'm sure i'll improve.

Have to say, haha - you come to something like this from the likes of f1 2012 and you think you can drive. It's quite the eye opener when you play a real sim!

4. kaptainkremmen

Player physics are very complicated and cannot be replicated many times over for the AI.

The fundamental technique is basically as you said....get used to it...tweak it..get used to that and be prepared to adjust driving style.

I'm loving the Megane at the moment. Especially around Poznan. Fairly small changes in setup will change the handling of the car quite considerably and a few notches here or there on the settings can change a car from oversteer to understeer or allow you to fly through that corner that normally screeches and drifts.

You can hotlap and shave a few seconds or so off your lap times but you will be in for tyres after a couple. Hotlapping still works best if you spend a few laps driving quiet and getting the tyres ready.

I find having the tyre volume turned up helps me look after them (the noise gets quite annoying and you want to keep them quiet). Having 'Head Movement' on helps find the bumps and undulations.

5. tjc

tjc Registered

Welcome to sim world zenrael... :cool:

:)

6. tjc

tjc Registered

All good stuff kaptain and I can only agree... the Megane has really come to life for me since the update, loving it now too.

It`s just sooo good to drive and one can really hammer it around for several laps.

Deserves another :cool:

7. zenrael

zenrael Registered

Strange... I just updated everything so that I could rejoin the ISR public servers, and the megane suddenly drives a hell of a lot better for me.

Perhaps I was missing an update or something? Really is a lot of fun now around poznan and croft.

Thanks for the replies again, guys.

John

8. bassweight

bassweight Registered

Scary, I'm actually in a very similar position as you, Zenrael. Played racing sims in the past but am really enjoying rFactor 2 for (what I gather to be) quite similar reasons.

That said; I finally began to understand the fundamentals of cornering/braking and tire physics over the weekend just past - essentially doing exactly what 'kaptainkremmen' described.. pushing the limits of grip going by tire sound and respecting the tires and surface as opposed to being somewhat impatient and driving the circuit like I'm being chased (poor description, hah).

I did watch a few instructional cornering/general racing technique videos on YouTube and picked up some good tips! One that helped was to refrain from accelerating out of the corner until you know you can throttle out of the corner without lifting - it's a good principle for beginners like myself to learn the corners of a track and the car you're driving.

If anybody else has any little tips or advice it would be much appreciated - anything at all :>

9. kaptainkremmen

If you watch rf2 videos made from Replays they will generally not have the tyre sounds or much head movement. It often fools you into thinking you are a slow driver but if you could hear it while it was being raced in realtime they could have been thrashing their tyres and if you could see the head movement you would get a better idea of weight transfer.

You need to develop a feel for the car. I currently only really race the Megane, only at Poznan and I'm still getting better each time.

Watch your own replays and change to external cams so you can see what line you are actually taking through the corners. You may be surprised :)

If you are testing setups, try to keep the variables to a minimum. I like to run 20 or so AI of all classes around the track for a hour or so (ctrl-x speeds it up) to get the track rubbered in. It's hard to judge improvements in setup if the track changes too much. I turn off Fuel usage for testing setups and I set constant weather. Make small changes to one thing at a time.

Jumping on and off the gas multiple times through a corner will generally unsettle the car. It affects weight transfer,suspension travel, tyre load etc etc etc The Diff often has Coast and Power settings which probably react better to constant/smooth inputs. However modulating the throttle carefully round a corner can help alter the line and save you having to adjust the steering.

Smooth, balanced, relaxed, quiet , Slow in...Fast out.