Aiw editor Crashing

Discussion in 'Track Modding' started by Banger, May 21, 2013.

1. Banger

Banger Registered

re doing pembrey aiw file, I Deleted the orginal .

done the Center path,and was about to do the pit path lines, when Rf2 Shut down. (rf2 v218). I seem to be missing the green cross that normally appear when creating paths.instead I getting a weird looking multicolour line.(pink/white). is there a problem with Sdk???

I download all versions of Rf2 sdk.

2. Gmilno

Gmilno Registered

tried creating an aiw from scratch in build 218 and actually there are no visible waypoints as I drive round or when completed a lap . . .
    the editor does however seem to record the waypoints as at the end of the lap the 'add path' dialogue pops up . . .
    all files appear to be present in the editor folder . . .

loading an existing track with a completed aiw and entering the aiw editor it is not possible to view the waypoints . . . everything else can be viewed using the 'show' list . . .

3. Banger

Banger Registered

so how do you do a branch from pits lane, if I can't see points?. I tried the normal way by driving through the pits the path is there.but has soon has I hit the added has pits lane. rf2 closed down.

4. Bink

Bink Registered

SDK 218 Dev Mode fun:

-- Dev mode would NOT create an AIW file when starting without one.
    [even on occasions when able to exit without ctrl alt del]

-- No AIW file when starting Joesville =
    1. sometimes car thinks it's a pit crew member View attachment 7812
    2. other times everything goes to black after pushing "race" (forces ctrl Alt Del).
    3. still other times immediate CTD.

-- AIW file or not, always crashes my track (although user material should be suspect).

Everything else looks really nice though in single player.

[Fresh Installed 218 with the full installer yesterday....
    and then reinstalled with "Lite" installer (over the top) after crashes, as advised.
    Downloaded, installed, and verified that tracks and various cars work in 'single player'.
    First update since 134, first "fresh/full" update since initial rF2 release build.
    os is win7.]

Last edited by a moderator: May 23, 2013
  5. Banger

Banger Registered

I did a fresh install of 218 full+sdk to get the developer mode working. not seen anything like car been pit member, lol

6. Bink

Bink Registered

hey Banger...

Using your working 218, will you try to load Joesville WITHOUT an aiw file?

Unless something has changed, I thought dev mode was supposed to create an AIW file when none exists. (?)

I was able to create a new fast line, save it, and re-start with no problems when starting with an AIW....
    [other than running all my cpu/gpu fans at full blast... which it does Not do with a full grid race in single player...]

[edit]: Also... there was no 'Controller' folder under the modDev/userData, so it couldn't detect the G25..... so I copied the one from the single player section (I think it was under rFactor2/UserData) to get that working.

Last weirdness... plenty of pink, 3dsMax style point helpers around some of the inside and outside corridors. (Completely fresh, never even run, download, and install of 218, sdk, cars, & tracks )

Last edited by a moderator: May 23, 2013
  7. Banger

Banger Registered

last about ten secs, car on track then screen went black.and rf2 hanged :)

with 26 ai cars+me this:
    *** didn't create aiw file. ***
    *** car seem to sink into pitmen mode :)

with me on my lomesome this: pratice only.

I fall on to track.and bounce around the SF line.

8. Bink

Bink Registered

Just tried a complete fresh 218 install... same deal, except it ran without having to do "218 lite" over it this time.

If it was just that my car wanted to hang out with the Boris Said Twins in the pits occasionally, I'd be cool with that...

..but still curious to know about the no aiw file thing... and the bl of pink point helpers everywhere..

9. Gmilno

Gmilno Registered

starting at joesville with no aiw means that you will start at point 0,0,0 . . . because this point is under the track you will start with no driveable surface under the car . . .

this has been a feature since 156 (?) ctrl+h will make them disappear . . .

still unable to get aiw editor to work in 218 ... tried reinstall etc etc ...

10. Bink

Bink Registered

Ok... I was able to get my track loaded..

-- Somewhere from build 134 to 218 it became an immediate crash to desktop if this line is in the .scn file:
    MASFILE = SKY.MAS

(did not update builds for a few months.. until this week)

I'm pretty sure that I copied the whole scn header originally from Joesville (although I didn't have a Joesville that was that old to verify with). Anyhow, that line has been in my .scn about 20 lines from the top since the build I started with (60 was it?) If it is there now, 218 crashes on load, .. if not, I can load my track.

The other items I couldn't get to work are:

-- Could not get Build 218 SKD to create an AIW 'stub' file (used to do this if loaded without an aiw file).

-- Immediate crash to desktop when leaving AIW Editor Hub (after 'recording' a Main Path).

-- Waypoints were not visible (in rear view or otherwise) while attempting to create Main Path.

-- No "controller" folder under ModDev/UserData, so no FFB wheel detect (perhaps we are to look for it with the '...' button though).

So.. I wasn't able to create an AIW file (with 218 SDK). [Fortunately, there is more than one way to skin a track.]

For the posters questioning why the SDK was separated from the main build.... this is a good example why a separate SDK is an excellent idea. It's now possible to fix the SDK before the next build... (in theory, anyhow).

11. Banger

Banger Registered

why are you coping sky.mas? that rf1 info.

This is rf2 Header
    controller file just copy from your normal rf2 userdata/controller to your moddev/userdata/controller

12. iDTDoug

iDTDoug Registered

dev mode has been crashing for me (load a track with no aiw file) since 192, just updated to 218 and same issue.

13. iDTDoug

iDTDoug Registered

just confirmed. uninstalled. installed 218 full build. went to load track with no exiting AIW file and rf2 crashes.

14. wgeuze

wgeuze Registered

Can you upload it somewhere?

15. Bink

Bink Registered

Put a 'landing pad' in Joesville at the origin, and was able to start with / without AIW ... it generates a stub etc...

Spent yesterday trying the same with the 50km track I've been building and got mixed results:

-- Starting With AIW file (or a 'stub' aiw file... with only the copyright and [tokens]... nothing else): NO Problem creating / saving a new "Main Path".... [no time restrictions... see below].

-- Starting with NO AIW file: About 1 - 2 seconds after the.... ".. save new path as Main.." selection, it crashes to desktop...

If I can click the ".. Save Waypoints..." menu item PRIOR to the crash... and get it's response "..--- waypoints saved", then a generated AIW stub, with waypoints is placed in the folder where it should be.... (I can re-start with that file... it won't crash any more when adding new lines.)

If I can't get to the "..Save Waypoints.." item quick enough before it crashes (~50% of the time), then NO AIW file.

Not a big deal, as there are plenty of start-up work arounds, but could be Track Length related, as Joesville seems to work just fine, other than the waypoint visibility.

Last edited by a moderator: May 31, 2013
  16. mkilner

mkilner Registered

Bump!!....Whats happened to the Green Crosses for the AIW Paths, cannot get them to show up using the show/Hide Menu, seems to be invisible and i cannot select them?

17. Bink

Bink Registered

I was testing on build 240 yesterday, and the green crosses are back again. I think it's the Dev Mode / SDK builds between 198 and 228 (was it?)... that were missing the green path things.

18. mkilner

mkilner Registered

im running 240 and i cannot get crosses to show, but somehow i managed to select the invisible crosses on the fast path and run a smooth on it, so now the cars dont slow down over the start and finish....ohwell its working...

19. Bink

Bink Registered

[prepare for heavy whining]

You know... Other than the "best fast-line" or "best wet-line" ... I can't think of anything else in a track's aiw file that should be a "surprise".

There is just no need for it.... It is math... about geometry... that you can configure to fit various racing format's rules.

You wouldn't try to enter your income tax information into your computer with your Motec racing wheel & pedals...right?

Why would you want to enter geometry data with it?

rFactor is a great sim. It's Tools.. if for lack of resources, time, or whatever... have not kept up with the sim.

If that is the strategy... maybe it's (financially) not a bad one... other people are doing it for them..... there are a couple of 'for-pay' programs that are offered at 'auto-teller-change' rates, and several people coding rF tools and shaders... offering them on the forums. So... While it may be financially advantageous, it's still a piss-off.

I'm spending about 12 hours each day this year trying to code something so that I never have to depend on Dev Mode for aiw files again.

For long tracks, rF1, and recently rf2 now crash before ever saving waypoints.... so I actually have never (in 4 or 5 years) been able to depend on ISI for aiw files. I used to use BTB + manual adjustments... for rF1.

Much of it is trying to figure out what some of the numbers in the aiw file represent, and how to re-create them from the geometry information about your track.. which is calculable in 3dsMax.

Pretty sure that many of the data 'formats' are things esoteric to ISI's game engine... Recent build's have spawned a new "oriantation" format... such that if you convert an rF1 aiw file to rF2 format... and you re-do the fast line with the SAME build of Dev Mode, the "oriantation" values for the fast line ... will be "blending" with an 'upside-down' pit line "oriantation".

Since no one (to my knowledge) has ever officially stated how the aiw file's "oriantation" values are used by the sim.... it's hard to know if trying to blend driving line orientations that are 180 degrees out of phase would cause any of the problems people have been complaining about. (?)

The sim is still great, and getting better. Maybe in efforts to support modding, they will provide an aiw tool that lets us make our own tracks (...feature that).

Either way, near the end of the year, we should have a Dev Mode alternative.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 26, 2013
  20. iDTDoug

iDTDoug Registered

I'd pay for a program that I know works. I have 2 tracks ready that i cant make AIW files for because of the crashing.