I am close to changing my mind about conversions...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Kknorpp001, May 19, 2013.

1. MrDarceh

MrDarceh Registered

that's starting to look really good. Are you planning to share melbourne on this forum?

2. wgeuze

wgeuze Registered

That is probably the reason most of the modders work on the tracks and cars in the first place. Everybody has different amounts of free time obviously, there's never enough of it is there.

I agree there might be a steep learning curve. With technology advancing, however, this will only get steeper.
    What do you expect ISI to come forward with? They have released a track technology document, several tire and car documents and various example files. Again, a gmt editor is like working in reverse, the gmt is the output of the source, in theory a gmt should not be considered a source file from a 3d pipeline point of view.

Of course your opinion is respected as do others, there is no question about that. You are very right that learning to build tracks and learning new stuff takes time, it would be silly to suggest otherwise. But, isn't that learning process and building stuff half of all of the fun? Won't your tracks and the users be the better for it?

It had been hinted at before, but strangely no solid responses were given. If there is any request for more information concerning modding, in what ways would that needed to be communicated? Documents? Examples? Tutorials? Video tutorials?

Second, I seem to read between the lines you think I have some personal beef with you. That is not the case, but if you want to discuss that through PM you are very welcome.

Last edited by a moderator: May 23, 2013
  3. McNolo

McNolo Registered

Like I said, I don't share more "unofficial content".

4. Duvel

Duvel Registered

I've tried your tracks. They are really great, shame we will not be seeing updates but i understand as the source is from commercial games, right? Still, a shame.

5. SPASKIS

SPASKIS Registered

I didnt like your comment about lazy conversions and it was difficult not being felt attacked by it. I probably overreacted to it. Sorry for that.

There might be people that dont care about the quality of what they release, but it is not my case. My problem is that when i get stuck with something it is usually tough to get a solution to it since there is not an official structured guide to follow. I don't mean that the info is not there. It just goes about finding it easily.

I will try to prepare a guide of how in my opinion should the information be structured. For sure more experienced people could improve it with their comments. Hopefully with the effort of this community we could prepare a track making manual.

Enviado desde mi GT-I9505 usando Tapatalk 2

6. wgeuze

wgeuze Registered

No hard feelings.

That is one of the problems developing for new technology. You will simply encounter problems not many, or any, people have encountered before. Info just not being there shouldn't be the outcome of your search course, that just sucks, no matter what project you are on.

The guide idea sounds pretty good actually, if you need help, let me, practice what i preach and so on ;)

7. Denstjiro

Denstjiro Registered

If you would use the ISI wiki for that it might encourage others to help out or create related articles.
    One of the issues is that everything is so fragmented over the web, hard to find stuff.

And if such wiki pages contain links to other tutorials or articles on the web providing more depth, the actual wiki article doesn't even have to be a complete essay?

8. SPASKIS

SPASKIS Registered

As you say a good indexed series of links would be of great help. Where is that isi wiki?

9. Denstjiro

Denstjiro Registered

10. SPASKIS

SPASKIS Registered

That thread is more than two years old

11. Denstjiro

Denstjiro Registered

The link sends you to a single thread? its supposed to send you to the entire wiki. go to the front page of the forums, and you'll see it.

There's only 6 articles now, the community is supposed to fill it up with more, and keep it up to date. just like any wiki.
    I've wondered why people don't use the wiki more then they have, probably because of the beta state of rf2, things change often, not official yet, etc.
    But we should imo, it can be extremely helpful to get this going. i'm planning on doing some articles myself, probably on the server side of things but I need to dive into rf2 a bit more before I can do that.