OT: V8Supercars at Austin this weekend.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by FatCity, May 16, 2013.

1. FatCity

FatCity Registered

I was just wondering if and how many Americans in these forums will be going to the race meeting?
    Being that I,m an Aussie, I am really interested in seeing how popular they are or will be over there.

Would be a good chance for ISI to get in and do a little promotional work too.....if you know what I mean, V8s in RF2.....

Just wondering also what sort of TV audience they will attract, V8s are the major motorsport in Australia, a bit like Nascar but nowhere near as big lol.

so who's going or watching??

2. Limit Point

Limit Point Registered

I'll be watching it on TV from Australia!

3. MarcG

MarcG Registered

4. tjc

tjc Registered

I don`t... :(

5. ccjcc81

ccjcc81 Registered

I'd love to go, but It's a long drive and $70 per ticket. I think the V8s would be slightly more entertaining than Nascar...

6. Marvin Morgan

Marvin Morgan Registered

I'd love to go too but it's a long FLIGHT, I could do the 70 bucks for a ticket. It's the few hundred bucks for the plane and hotel stay that kinda puts a kink in the works. I'd have to fly half way across the country to make it.

I don't think it's going to be a big draw to be honest. I don't think F1 filled the seats if I'm not mistaken so I really don't see this doing any better. Only thing might save it is the actual name of the race itself. Put the words "V8" and "Super" in the title of anything and you'll get most Americans attention. Add the word "car" and you'll really get eyes opened. Then the fact that the liveries are as lively as NASCAR paint jobs will only help, especially in Texas. Only problem is when the locals find out the steering wheel turns right and it's actually used you pretty much sealed your fate.

7. Seahawks1Fan

Seahawks1Fan Registered

Just landed in Austin after a brutal trip. Had to spend the night at the Dallas Airport due to severe t-storms and tornados.

I'm here though. Really looking forward to seeing the V8's up close.

www.GoneBrokeRacing.com

8. JuanitoRPM

JuanitoRPM Registered

MotorsTV makes live coverage of full V8 champ too.

9. Marvin Morgan

Marvin Morgan Registered

Send me a ticket Hawks!
    Didn't I read all new racers get a ticket to Texas? ;)

Last edited by a moderator: May 16, 2013
  10. ccjcc81

ccjcc81 Registered

Ha ha, very funny...

As a Texan, I find V8s much more interesting than Nascar. Nascar is neat, and it probably requires a lot of skill to keep a car on the road at 200mph for so long, but road courses are where it's at for me, and I'll bet plenty of Texans agree.

I would gladly pay $70 for a ticket, and I think it's well worth it, I just can't justify the expense at this time. Too bad, I'd love to add my money to the ticket sales. I'd like to see these beasts come to Texas again.

11. Nimugp

Nimugp Registered

They cover the whole championship, but not everything live!!! But Austin will be live indeed (And if I recall they also said bathurst1000 live, and maybe some more).

Would have loved to watch, but can't see it live (well, maybe on sunday evening, not sure though). Away this weekend ;)

12. coops

coops Banned

if they don't get 100k in spectators with there population (should be no problem) bring the race back to the aussie fans.

13. F1Fan07

F1Fan07 Member

My hotel is full of Aussies. :D I'm skipping the Friday session but I got woken up by the sound of a bunch of them heading out this AM.

14. MarcG

MarcG Registered

1st Practice in 30minutes, anyone know if its on TV/Internet anywhere? not usually anyway but worth an ask!

15. MarcG

MarcG Registered

Check out Lee Holdsworth at 3:47 ;)

16. F1Fan07

F1Fan07 Member

These cars sound amazing in person!

17. Radar

Radar Registered

Yes they are and much better around Bathurst..

I'm pretty sure they signed a 3 year deal. I could be wrong but I'm certain it was.. If correct, I'll be there next year or year after with my friends from Dallas (who unfortunately will miss it this year).

18. Drathuu

Drathuu Registered

Ill likely be heading over aswell Radar, was going to go this year, but work got in the way. A couple of my mates are over there this year.. Sadly crowd numbers aren't crash hot.

19. FatCity

FatCity Registered

As far as I know it was a 5 year deal, racing was good and crowd was better than I expected, track was good to, especially the twisty bits with the kerbs lol.

20. Marvin Morgan

Marvin Morgan Registered

I was watching a stream of it and I believe one of the drivers while being interview in his car mentioned something about a 5 year deal with the track.