Calling CSW owners

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ccjcc81, May 15, 2013.

1. ccjcc81

ccjcc81 Registered

Just got my CSW, and wow, it's great. FFB strength is amazing. However, I'm having one significant issue, maybe you guys can tell me if this is normal:

The BMW wheel is extremely loose on the shaft. I can rattle it around by hand, and it rattles like crazy during a race. Kills a little of the FFB when going over bumps I think. Sounds horrible. Does your CSW do this? I'm aware of the little set screw, does nothing to alleviate this.

2. sg333

sg333 Registered

Mine does this but its JUST the BMW wheel. I have no problems with the Formula rim. To be honest, the BMW rim is way too big and heavy to be of any practical use anyway and as soon as they bring out a lighter, smaller full circle rim im selling my BMW one.

3. Cracheur

Cracheur Registered

actually the screw removes any kind of rattling for me. I had to really tighten it. I even contacted Fanatec support and they actually said that a slight rattling was normal without the screw. So if your wheel rattles with the screw, I would consider sending this video to their support. (they are normally very good... sometimes a bit overloaded though...)

4. DrR1pper

DrR1pper Registered

What does that tell you, lol.

5. Ducatiguy

Ducatiguy Registered

I have both the BMW wheel and the F1 style wheel...both of mine fit perfectly snug with zero wiggle/rattle.

6. ccjcc81

ccjcc81 Registered

Ok, I really tightened it. It helped a lot. Thanks for chiming in. I realized that (unlike with most wheels/sim equipment) I was working will all metal parts, and I cranked that sucker with my longest allen wrench. I'm satisfied. I'm diggin' this wheel.

Edit:

I'm still diggin' the wheel, but the honeymoon has worn off, and the rattle and screw situation is really annoying me... Thanks for all the feedback guys.

Last edited by a moderator: May 16, 2013
  7. ccjcc81

ccjcc81 Registered

My GT3RS V2 just broke, and tore it apart to try to fix it, and you know what? Surprisingly, the wheel from the GT3 is not very much lighter from the BMW rim. I was shocked at how heavy the GT3 wheel was when I pulled it off. I am having the opposite experience with my BMW rim, couldn't be happier now that the rattle is gone. (No I'm not a CSW salesman :D)

8. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

why do you say it's way too big and heavy?

Can you explain in detail? I'm going crazy trying to decide between the CSR-E/CSW and the T500RS.

9. sg333

sg333 Registered

Personally, I find the wheel to be heavy to point that a lot of the more subtle FFB effects are 'drowned out'. The CSW is great with the Formula rim because its a lot lighter and doesnt have the same issue. The BMW rim feels like its 'hanging' off of the base. Ideally I want a rim about half the weight.

As for the size, coming from a G25 I personally find the difference too great. Then again, if you look at something like NASCAR all the drivers run different size wheels so even in real life its down to personal preference.

Overall the quality of everything is great, there isnt anything wrong with the BMW rim, its more of a personal user experience thing.

10. Ash74

Ash74 Registered

+1

11. ccjcc81

ccjcc81 Registered

Is this with or without the set screw?

That little set screw is a turd. I got it cross threaded last night and thought I ruined it. I have to torque it down so hard I thought I was going to break my allen wrench. Not looking forward to doing that every time I want to watch a movie on my computer or change rims (when and if I get the F rim.) It totally defeats the purpose of the quick change feature. I'm gonna go ahead and contact Fanatec. The quick change system was one of the reasons I selected the CSW over the T500.

Last edited by a moderator: May 16, 2013
  12. Christian Rosén

Christian Rosén Registered

Same here! Without any screw

13. Spadge

Spadge Registered

I got the GT2 wheel because I am cheap. Seems fine to me so far. :)

14. Ducatiguy

Ducatiguy Registered

Honestly, I don't know about the set screw. Mine was just right when I received it, and I've had no need to look or adjust further. I'm very pleased with my CSW, though it looks like quality checking on their part may be lacking.

Regarding tightening that allen screw, maybe a bit of loctite will do the trick so it's not a repeat issue. I'm going to look at mine tonight when I get home to see if I have a set screw...maybe they changed their design a bit for the worse.

15. wollo

wollo Registered

Oh dear, mine rattled till it snapped off a pin inside the quick release plug. this was about four weeks after I bought it. I pulled the pin out, Fanatec sent me a new wheel rim, no questions asked. Germany to the UK 4 days. So no problem there. I didn't use the allen bolt. Have it torqued right up now though and test it regularly for tightness. I would not use the wheel without the allen bolt. With the allen bolt in the wheel feels as solid as the wheel in my car. I am less than pleased about the quick release as it clearly isn't a quick release but other than that terrific wheel.

16. Cracheur

Cracheur Registered

as I followed this in the fanatec forum: actually the screw was added after the beta testing of the csw. Some people complained about rattling and fanatec decided to add a screw... to fix the issue. This might add 10 seconds to change the wheel but the 'the screw' solves the issue. If it doesn't for anybody out there, complain and you will get a replacement.... they will probably hate me for this post....

17. Cracheur

Cracheur Registered

I own the csw and only the bmw rim. As written in many reviews, the BMW rim feels heavier than the F-wheel: YES!
    of course it does... the "engine" behind is the same and the rim is bigger and heavier... however the FFB has more than enough power and I never run the CSW on full FFB, it's just too strong.(I'm waiting for big wodden 60s wheel;))
    The CSW has the advantage that fanatec can play with more element element to recreate a good sensation: the rim. As people report: by changing the size/weight of a rim they can affect the overall felling of the wheel... the question is now if it is done by purpose;) > did you ever change a rim on your real car? in a real car it's huge difference.

18. vittorio

vittorio Registered

I own a CSRE. The CSRE, CSW and T500 are strong but not unlimited in power.
    If the wheel is more heavy you will lose details in FFB. And there is the fact that none of CSRE, CSW and T500 are able to deliver strong forcers for more then ~15 min. The motors get hot and lose force.
    This in mind I prefer a light rim.

Some interesting readings:
    http://www.gtplanet.net/forum/showthread.php?t=273908&page=2
    http://www.gtplanet.net/forum/showthread.php?t=274631
    http://f-wheel.com/reviews/csr-elite-wheel-benchmarked
    (unfortunately i don't find the link to CSW+BWM rim benchmark)

19. thuGG

thuGG Registered

My BMW rim rattles a bit, the screw fixes it. I don't change the wheels very often so it's fine for me.

20. zzigg

zzigg Registered

i use in properties of fanatec 900 degrees, dampening 100, combined pedals uncheked, on the wheel sen:eek:ff,ff:100,abs:85,for:100, and the others :eek:ff. this works fine with me. in game i use default settings becouse i don`t understand how it works