I don't understand how to update cars May 9th release.

Discussion in 'Technical Archives' started by Lawndart, May 10, 2013.

1. Lawndart

Lawndart Registered

I just downloaded some updated cars from May 9th. 370Z, GTR, Megane, Formula Renault, Mercedes safety car.

I cannot uninstall the old cars due to them being bound to other mods. Am I supposed to just install the new cars without uninstalling the old ones? This is really confusing!

I've had this issue in the past an didn't know what to do then either.

Any help is much appreciated.

Thanks,

Joe

2. F_Slim

F_Slim Registered

Well, I don't know the answer, but I have (and had) the same problem. Last time I tried to "update" cars and tracks I basically ended up uninstalling everything and then installing the latest versions. If possibleI should say, because some mods could not be installed since they require an older version of the track. These were not from ISI, but I guess it shows that the current system is not ideal: an update of a track for example would need an update of every mod that wants to use that track!
    Installing a new version over an old version is problably not a good idea. Last time I did that with tracks they would show up multiple times, with only the old version having layouts to select (unless the new version introduced a new layout). Selecting the layout from the old track also gave me the previous version of the track (visible by the bugs fixed only in the new version).
    I am also wondering why there are no updates available (to use with the update option in the mod-manager), but only full installs of the mods?

rFactor2 is still in beta stage, so problems are expected of course. I hope this system will be changed at some point. Currently the handling of mods is more inconvenient to me than it was with rFactor1 ... probably not asking for a specific version number is already the solution to most problems.
    I always pick the cars and tracks I want to drive from the full list anyway ...

3. Tony

Tony Registered

Yea I find this bit of the sim messy - unecessarily complicated, & unless you've been actively following the sim since inception it is bewildering..

What you find is unles you uninstall the older version of the cars - they appear in the Vehicle Selection pages as well as the new-build ones, so you'll get double versions of each car.

Go back to the Mod Manager, & when you right-click on the old-build of a car you want to uninstall, & then click "uninstall" it will tell you in the small dialogue box exactly what mod is preventing this.. so cancel out of that & then look up & down your list of what's installed - find that mod & uninstall it.

Then you'll be able to uninstall the old-build vehicle..

That's what I do anyway, lol

4. Kiro

Kiro Registered

Yes, like a Volvo marine diesel.

5. jimcarrel

jimcarrel Registered

I believe they are in the process of changing everything to components so you don't require tracks to install cars.
    Of course .rfmods can still be created (cars requiring tracks).

For now I have just uninstalled all cars and tracks and only re-installed all cars that didn't require tracks. And installed all new the new ISI tracks that are available.

Just relax and they will finish the last couple of car components. They have done most of the cars so far.