GNU/Linux version

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by krulkrul, May 10, 2013.

1. krulkrul

krulkrul Registered

Hi racers!

After reading that iRacing is going to have a GNU/Linux port: http://www.virtualr.net/iracing-com-mac-linux-versions-coming-up

I was wondering if there is even the smallest possibility to have rFactor 2 in GNU/Linux too.

Personally, I only use Windows for games, and thanks to Valve, this is changing day after day.

So, what's ISI's view in this topic? I suppose that they got enough work to do for "wasting time" with this but... maybe I'm wrong.

Cheers.

2. jorge salgueiro

jorge salgueiro Registered

I support this!

3. mauserrifle

mauserrifle Registered

Would be great! Linux is my main OS. I only run Windows for rFactor.

4. vittorio

vittorio Registered

Same here, rf2 is the only reason why I still need Windows.

5. Simon Druce

Simon Druce Registered

6. kotakotakota

kotakotakota Registered

Agreed, RF2 is the ONLY thing I use Windows for, and I'd really love to be able to get rid of it. :D

7. sf4JC

sf4JC Registered

I'm not sure how "related" Ubuntu is to Linux, though I have both to run on one of my systems, but I have only used a steering wheel in Ubuntu Studio. The problem with that is if I understand it correctly, Ubuntu doesn't support steering wheels, yet, but hopefully in the future. There is a program that helps the wheel "communicate" with Ubuntu but I haven't quit figured out how to adjust the axis's very well. Does Linux support steering wheels? I've read that a person can run rFactor on Ubuntu, but haven't seen if a person can run rFactor2 on it. I run ETS2 Demo on it, but the steering is a bit too touchy (that may be due to the old wheel I have hooked up to it though).

Scott

Last edited by a moderator: May 12, 2013
  8. Spadge

Spadge Registered

+1

Me too.

9. TurboSpeed

TurboSpeed Registered

Same for me, I have Windows only to run rFactor2.

10. Mario Morais

Mario Morais Registered

The linux uses OpenGL for 3D graphics games using DirectX can not run on linux. Some older games may run with wine. The wine emulates directX but loses performance because it has to "translate" the directX to openGL. I suppose the iRacing will use something like wine or then created a new game in openGL?.

EDIT:
    What would be possible was the dedicated server on linux does not require 3D graphics.

11. Yarach

Yarach Registered

I can't wait untill the very moment Ubuntu becomes mainstream. It is a great operating system and very well optimized.
    rFactor Linux would be a great contribution in my opinion.

12. M4nkey

M4nkey Registered

It is very possible to change a game to run on OpenGL, as Valve demonstrated pretty successful. It's still a lot of work though, that's true. My highest priority would be the dedicated server, too. Running a Windows server is even more meeh than Windows itself :(

13. pleclair

pleclair Registered

I would also appreciate a native linux client very much. I installed windows 7 again only for rFactor 2.

I was running rFactor 1 on Ubuntu, and it was running 100% perfect. rFactor 2 would probably run as well... I cannot get past the activation, as the launcher looks for actual hardware, and doesnt see wine as hardware...

LFS, Netkar, iRacing, RBR (before it had a linux client native) all works on wine perfectly too.

14. Ivan Baldo

Ivan Baldo Registered

Linux market share is non existant. I think that something else is going on here. It could be preparation work for Play Station 4, making it work in Linux and/or Mac is a good intermediary step. Play Station 3 hardware is very odd but Play Station 4 hardware will be pretty standard, very similar to PC, but of course only OpenGL and I guess OpenAL there, don't know if there is a standard for input devices though... would be nice that the Khronos Group could standardize something about input, everything else I think it will be pretty similar to Unix/Linux.
    Any way, I am a Linux user since 1997 so bring it on!!! :) Also Valve's benchmarks show that Linux is smoother and faster with their engine....

15. pleclair

pleclair Registered

Well, teaming up with the wine team and making sure it runs fine with wine would be a nice start :)

Some linux users dont like to run windows apps in wine, as it's not native, but for most, it's more than enough.

Installing Windows to run one, or few games, is cumbersome to say the least.

I wouldnt say tho that linux market share is non-existant... it might be small, but ever growing... linux runs on far more devices than one may think.

But I agree that at the moment, having a native client for linux wouldn't double the current rFactor user base, but it would certainly grow a little... plus having a native client would most certainly means that future ISI games also runs on Linux...

The way I see it, in a few years, Linux could very well be the gaming platform of choice.

16. leillo1975

leillo1975 Registered

This is a very, very old post, but I would very happy if this game includes linux support. The only reason to use Windows for me is to play Assetto Corsa, Automobilista and rFactor2. Wine support for rFactor is not perfect, we don't have Force Feedback support in my wheel. With native linux games like Dirt Rally or F1 2015, my wheel have full force feedback support.

The linux gaming growed a lot in the last years. There are more than 3500 games in Steam to play. I think that rFactor2 could be perfect in linux: her first racing simulator.

sf4JC likes this.