OT: Load Cell brake Mod for T500rs coming soon.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by perplex, May 8, 2013.

1. perplex

perplex Registered

2 days ago i found out there is coming a Load Cell Brake Mod.
    After some research and asking nice the support, they send me the manual for the load cell brake mod. Thought i should share it and open a thread for it ..

Together with the new GTE Wheel Addon its a nice update for somebody like me ;)

https://mega.co.nz/#!VoFCnR4I!bonD1TD8ERT9JMtomaV_9jsfjicBKKtY5q29br_FJXE

2. Sparkiy

Sparkiy Registered

Hi,
    Thanks for posting, assume this is an official Thrustmaster mod?

Been waiting ages for the Bodin mod to be available, this looks like it could be the answer, :D

3. perplex

perplex Registered

4. Golanv

Golanv Registered

Very cool. Deffinetly going to look into this when it hits the shelf, if the price isnt insane.

5. Reprobator

Reprobator Registered

Looks like the price on the german website is about 90€ now i'll wait for official news but yeah i would buy the official one at this price, but i'm pretty excited, i hope they plan et ffb brake pedals mod later!
    or higher quality rim series too from leather with sli included to fight on fanatec's ground.

6. MrPix

MrPix Registered

looks like they will be available from 21st May too... JIT for my birthday.... I better start saving so my missus can afford it!:rolleyes:

7. Timpie Claessens

Timpie Claessens Registered

8. perplex

perplex Registered

always sold out . out of stock. he has problems to get the load cells to a nice price. Last available stock was sold out on that day (13 -14 April) it was announced ....so not really an option ;)

9. zim2323

zim2323 Registered

Incorrect...

The circuit boards he was getting for doing his mod are no longer in stock may no longer be available. He is looking at switching to Derek Spears board that also allows additional functionality at increased cost. I personally have the very first load cell sold and LOVE IT! Absolutely the best money I've ever spent in sim racing.

Take some time to read up on his official post over at insidesimracing.tv.
    http://insidesimracing.tv/forums/topic/4180-bodin-load-cell-mod/page-15

If you monitor that thread, you'll get a guage on when to start looking for available stock or when to buy. Yes, it is difficult to get one, but if you do, you won't regret it.

That said, I am intrested in the Official version as a backup just in case. Interesting that they put the load cell under the pedal plate itself vs behind the pedal arm. If you configure the pedal for long throw, per the documentation, it doesn't make much sense as it seems that would just be added deadzone because there probably wouldn't be enough pressure to do anything. Either way, very interesting way to do it!

10. Nelson

Nelson Registered

what's the benefit of a load cell brake mod?

EDIT: I found the info...transform braking into pressure sensitive instead of positions based breaking. :rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator: May 13, 2013
  11. Reprobator

Reprobator Registered

Not at all, in fact this thing just change the pedals resistance, but this is not really the point of the thrustmaster mo, the point is the Load cell it selft, this is the important thing that change everything, not the resistence, as long as it is still position DRIVEN instead of pressure driven.
    It's a bit like comparing a binary wheel (with just left and right position) and comparing it with an analogic one, you can't compare, Load cell rocks ;)

12. cosimo

cosimo Registered

No official news yet, it seems. Emailed TM support.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 10, 2013
  13. cosimo

cosimo Registered

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 10, 2013
  14. cosimo

cosimo Registered

Got back official info from TM support.
    Official TRS Load Cell mod is confirmed, but not ready for official launch yet.

I also asked them if it would be shipped bundled with T500RS, but there's no information about that yet.

I think I'm going to get a T500 :)

15. Duvel

Duvel Registered

wish they would hurry up with this as my brake pedal is dead right now (pot messed up) and could then just buy this and not waste my time with tech support

16. Cangrejo

Cangrejo Registered

Any news for this?

17. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

Someone asked I think on facebook and their answer was that its not planned for release. It was a short and blunt answer, not sure if its been scrapped, or if they are just not giving away release dates, but I have the official unofficial manual for the loadcell straight from Thrustmaster, not sure how it got leaked but I found it on the web.

I will upload it tonight when I get home from work. Tells you install instructions, features, pictures, etc. Full manual.

The manual states that it's rated up to 35 kg of force just like the $150 John Bodin T500RS load cell, and just like the way overpriced ($800ish - $1000ish) CST F1 edition pedals. It also states that it has 2 dials, one for pressure and one for deadzone in order to have a bit of a deadzone just like some real brakes, not sure if it affects feel, or if it just doesnt register to the game, if its the latter then its something we can change in game by software anyways so no big deal.

I'd personally (and am planning) to get the loadcell from John Bodin anyways even though they are both rated to 35kg, just because I heard his loadcell was actually rated for like 70kg, so setting it at its max setting of 35kg surely would never kill it, the original TM one may be a small dinky one prone to breakage (especially when used at max force) like the Fanatec ones for their CSR Elite/CSP V1/CSP V2 pedals, however I obviously can't confirm this.

Feel wise, I would assume the John Bodin one feels better (regardless of the actual force), but really im just assuming this, does a loadcell even affect the feel, or does the feel just come from the actual brake unit itself? In other words, if the physical brake unit, springs, all the other parts that make up the brake system, etc dont change, and then you just throw a load cell on, does that change the actual feel of the brake (up until the original max braking force of the stock pedals of course)?

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 10, 2013
  18. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

19. harrymann

harrymann Registered

Load cells really do a great job when it comes to testing products. This is why I think this new variety will surely be another breakthrough and innovation for load cell devices.

20. perplex

perplex Registered

lol cheers spinelli ;) btw. the manual you could find in my first post too :p
    my advice, instead of waiting till christmas. get some fanatec pedals or at least
    an usb adapter for the default pedals . The default pedals have much delay and are not synchron with inputs...