Quick dev update

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by 88mphTim, May 7, 2013.

1. Jorgen

Jorgen Registered

Thank you so much for the heads-up Tim! It's the silence that is frustrating, so this is a very nice way to convey the current status. Short, simple and to the point. Excellent! :)

2. PRC Steve

PRC Steve Registered

+1 Bugs are there yes but unplayable has no truth in it whatsoever and i'm on a 5 year old system

3. ZeosPantera

ZeosPantera Registered

4. mclaren777

mclaren777 Registered

I honestly try not to think about those initial images because they only make me sad. :(

5. Valter Cardoso

Valter Cardoso Registered

~

Even if Duarte post seems a little harsh it has some point.
    I think what Duarte meant to say is:
    "Hi guys, i am one of the large hundreds who bought an unfinished game thinking it will became better month after month instead of getting some cars that could be done by modders."

From my personal view, rfactor 2 is way too far from what i tought it will be in middle 2013. Dont get me wrong, it has some lovely physics and some nice visuals, but what is this for when more than half of simracing community cant run it in full specs? I think the road ISI should take is diferent from what it is now. In first place ISI should replace all the confusing system to add content in game, it is ridicolous how it is now (we are in 2013 not in zx spectrum time). Then they should go to game interface wich seems worst than rfactor 1 (wich is a 2005 game). And when all that is done then all the modders community start to work on content.
    As a simracing community owner and living in this world for some years i can express that 90% of modders dont want to work in this platform as it is now.
    Dont get me wrong, im a ISI follower, i stick with rf1 and rf2, but somethings should be said sometimes.
    Good luck.
    Cheers.

6. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

That's quite difficult. I have been told that they will be updating all areas of the core engine for years. Even if they 'settle' on a specific part now, in 6 months, in 2 years, that doesn't mean it's finalized. Anything could be re-visited and improved.

7. YoLolo69

YoLolo69 Registered

Thanks Tim! It's good to have some news! :)

Edit: and the game is really playable for me and I have lot of fun with it, no problem which prevent me to play!

8. 88mphTim

He has some point, yes, so do you, but neither seem to have a good understanding. He is saying to stop releasing content... So, we fire all of the artists and then try to re-hire someone with skill when the core is ready? We're intending to develop the core for years, so that means no content for years. That's what you want? And then you're saying for the modders to wait for the core... You can tell them that, I see no reason to tell them to come back in 5+ years when we've moved on or perhaps rolled back core changes.

9. mclaren777

mclaren777 Registered

Thanks for the reply, Tim.

And I understand software development enough to know that it's never fully done. Plus, I really appreciate ISI for continuing to support its products well after initial launch. However, it seems like the initial launch of rF2 doesn't have a tentative timeline because the goal posts keep moving. And while long-term betas might work well for some software (Gmail springs to mind), I think the community is growing tired of the nebulous timeline.

10. Duvel

Duvel Registered

cannot wait for the btcc car, that is just what was needed!

11. Valter Cardoso

Valter Cardoso Registered

Irony is unecessary here. Im a paying consumer who only expressed my point of view wich obviously is diferent from yours.
    Cheers and good luck.

12. Duarte Pires

Duarte Pires Registered

Tim, what I meant on my post was to ask, how are you guys doing about the issues the community is always talking about, for example:

Triple Screen users problems
    WaterSpray awful
    Performance
    Graphic Glitches

Etc etc...

I mean that should be TOP PRIORITY no?

When people here start complaining about the problems of rFactor you guys throw some bones(talk about new content you are working on) and many people here just to "omg thank you".

Well not me.

If you think about, what you need to put rFactor on map is for people to play it and make leagues and stuff, and that's pretty slow..

Last edited by a moderator: May 7, 2013
  13. Jamezinho

Jamezinho Registered

Thanks for the update, it's much better to be kept in the loop. Hopefully new content/update isn't far off. It seems like a long time since the last component release.

Silverstone is looking very good. A great track, so pleased to see the level of detail is high.

14. Marcos Orallo

Marcos Orallo Registered

Thanks for the update Tim!

Is the core team working on optimization for AMD cards? Any news from AMD about improving support for rF2 in their drivers?

15. dsuspense

dsuspense Registered

"Issues prevented. We are now testing Build 214 internally"

Glad to hear more thorough testing is happening this build!

16. 88mphTim

Triple screen work is being done with various core updates, as is performance and the engine with glitches. It hasn't stood still, even if it might seem like it to you.

The spray you have is the first introduction. I'm not going to say anything else.

Actually my post is nothing to do with anyone complaining, but the future lack of them might be.

I don't want rFactor 2 on the map yet. But thanks.

17. 88mphTim

I don't see the irony. I gave an explanatory reply with examples. And I'm only replying to your reply...

18. Muxi-Mux

Muxi-Mux Registered

On-going development is nice and good, but at the moment we all waiting more for fixing bugs and bringing the game in an accaptable stage (for 2013 conditions). And features that make it into the game should also work well.
    Anyway, but i think content is as same importent as the core and features. You need some (specific) content to use some or all features. And you need some (specific) feature to enjoy some content. And i think Silverstone is a quite good choice - nearly every kind of racecars race there (formula cars, prototypes, GTs, touringcars, ...).

19. 88mphTim

I personally switched to nVidia. But the guys will always continue working on this, and have done already. As I say above, look at the release notes. Things that "aren't getting touched" or that "the community is complaining about" have been. :)

20. 88mphTim

Content developers make content. Core devs make the core. It doesn't relate. If you're waiting for a core update, ok, but content has nothing to do with that. It's content. Different people, different jobs, different schedules, different work, different testing, different releases.