What the .... happen's with KI???

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by theoldguy24765, Apr 25, 2013.

1. Satangoss

Satangoss Registered

Yes, that's it: set 3 and the AI will overtake. In addition, set AI Limiter = 0 to avoid an artificial balance between ai drivers and cars.

2. Satangoss

Satangoss Registered

I haven't read your post before write the previous mine, this line is very important... Ai limiter has to be zero always otherwise the front runners will keep making little mistakes in order to have a close racing. This is not real, the fastest drivers and cars should escape from the bunch...

3. argo0

argo0 Registered

I wasn't aware of these AI tweaks, thanks guys. How do you get the AI to use a certain set up?

4. tjc

tjc Registered

Good find there too Isarmann. :)

5. tjc

tjc Registered

Cheers.

:)

6. theoldguy24765

theoldguy24765 Registered

After a while of testing...with different setup's for megan at Portugal...and a search of fast times in Youtube...i found nothing...no one who drives a faster time then 1:38 minutes at portugal...at 100% the Ki is driving at 1:36 and below.... that's not fun that's bull****.

After all this i found some ... let me say stupid Physics... hard Damper with extreme hard spring works better then soft...another problem is with an track temparutre about 20°C the tires getting short warm up after a spin or drift and in less then 10sec they cool down to 40°C thats not normal. After a small hitting of the wall the car jumps up into the sky...takes 8 rolls and came to stop on the wheels with running engine ???

I think the leaving of beta stadium of rfactor 2 is geting far away...
    I found there is no real progress, in real i think there is for one step forward, two back.

As i hear ISI did a new rfactor i was happy but now ....
    with the most updates there come more and more problems and i takes more and more time to correct them...tyres didn't realy work since the start of rfactor 2...

the offer of ISI was to create a Simulation whre you can feel the direction of the airflow...when you drive...
    How far is this point?

7. argo0

argo0 Registered

I'd have to agree with some of this. Some odd behaviour is occurring with tyre temperatures still. The collision physics are still quite unconvincing. The damage system is pretty basic. Progress is relatively slow, largely due to the size of the development team and the complexity if their ambitions.

It is possible, however, to get under 1.38 in Meganes round Portugal. In fact, if you want to beat some of the people I race with, you'd have to. I haven't driven the Meganes in ages though but I don't think the physics have changed on them.

This software and ISI needs but deserves plenty of patience. I'm sticking with it because I find it almost constantly rewarding but there is still an awful lot to be done.

8. Ronnie

Ronnie Registered

1. If they are too fast on 100 % for you, lower it to 90 %. That much of a problem?
    2. "Hard damper with extreme hard spring works better than soft" What do you mean? Of course it works better on some cars and particular tracks. I don't get what are you talking about.
    3. Maybe because the lcd with tyre temps shows tyre surface temp? You should have known this one.
    4. Car jumps into the sky, you say. That's because collision physics aren't done. Forces during impact aren't translated in proper way right now. It should be solved in near future or a bit later. The most important thing is it WILL be taken care of.
    5. "Tyres didn't really work since the start of rfactor 2". Well, they do now. You are talking about tyre wear I guess. Only tyre pressure influence isn't there yet but will be in near future.

And by the way. Don't use "..." so much. It doesn't look nice.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 27, 2013
  9. Panigale

Panigale Banned

Excellent post and thank you for pointing this out! AI is now spread out more which is more realistic. Enjoyed it before, enjoying it even more now, I hope ISI makes this the new default. BTW - Posts like yours are what makes visiting the forum worthwhile. :D

One caveat I found is AI percentage needs to be turned down just a bit but easy enough to do. e.g. I used to run AI at 98% at LRP in C6Rs with AI limiter set to default. My Q time would be around 50.5ish (uphill chicane). Good enough for P1.
    With AI Limiter set to zero and AI at 98% the P1 spot needed to better a 50.1. Impossible for me even with a tow down pit straight. That is also well beyond RL times for a GT2 so maybe something for ISI to tweak down the road.

10. Kknorpp001

Kknorpp001 Banned

First impression is that the no limit and line smooth settings impact AI dramatically and for the better! One thing I need to test more is impact on overall difficulty as, for example, I am running Pukeoke and have been beating 120% easily. Now I am around 95%! That is an enormous difference! Also, it seems inconsistent as I am still not sure that 95% is correct as I have been bouncing back and forth between 90 and 95 and 100 and seems inconsistent but will do more testing. FYI, I AM leaving track to set AI strength because don't think changes take effect while at track, even if restart weekend but AI coukd be wrong and if I am please tell me because testing will go much faster if strength can be changes without reloading track.

Edit: Also, am I the only one who is absolutely out of his mind frustrated with ISI? There have been about a million postings about AI and where has Tim been with this info!?!?

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 28, 2013
  11. martymoose

martymoose Registered

I dont think changes to AI have changes unless you reload the track. The smoothing worked well at times in the past but I turned it off as it did also cause more issues in earlier builds on some tracks but I will need to retry with the current build. Earlier builds I noticed AI actually got slower if you restarted race and also as lots of rubber was put down plus they eventually would all run wide on some corners like the last corner at Ohio for some reason.

AI strength is very track dependent though with some tracks 120% still being too slow and others 100% is close but I need something in between on most of those. The AI one lap pace vs race pace is a bit odd as even in a race where they may outpace me by a second or so on the fastest lap on some tracks with good AI racing them they are about 4 seconds off that pace in traffic which is where they tend to have most issues.

12. tjc

tjc Registered

Ok... I too have adjusted the AI limiter and the smoothness and it does seem to have made a bit of difference to the AI indeed...

However I`ve also noticed that after making these alterations the AI seem to crash a lot more too. They can be screaming down the pit straight at Monza and get half way round the first turn and then, inexplicably just throw themselves into the barrier on the left! They just seem to deliberately turn into the barrier causing them to have a big accident (obviously) or and even bigger accident if/when there are other cars around them.

I rarely saw the AI make these kind of mistakes before I altered the limiter and smoothness, in fact it was very rare they crashed at all and seemed to save things that were impossible to save.

:confused:

I`ve also noticed this line in my Player fille:

AI Mistakes="0.00000" // a range of (intentional) AI mistakes from 0.0 (none) to 1.0 (sometimes). Anything above 1.0 multiplies the frequency

I thought I may have altered it to test but as you can see it`s at 0 so the AI should be making no mistakes but they most certainly are.

Anybody else noticed any of this?

13. Hedlund_90

Hedlund_90 Registered

The 'AI line smooth' was a good adjustment but the 'limiter' however was horrible. Once again I'll take Spa as an example: it did not make the AI faster at all. They still making the same lap times. Difference: they are crashing all the time. And I did not even set 'limiter' to 0, I set it to 0,2. And still they are slowing down in full throttle corners and even on straights.

Well, AI need some improvements from ISI, I think...

Yes, I've noticed that. Maybe this have been used before, but now some other settings are changed so they had to set AI mistakes to 0 because otherwise they would crash all the time? Just guessing... Because they obviously still make mistakes.

14. Big Engine

Big Engine Registered

In rfactor 1 there was an option called AiAutocalibration=1 that allowed the AI drivers to learn a track improving their lap times that could be useful to fix the problem of AI very slow on some traks. I tried it some days ago and it didn't work. Did ISI never talked about it working in rf2?

15. tjc

tjc Registered

Yeh, I`m going to set the limiter back to what it was as something is definitely causing the AI to crash out more than they were doing before I adjusted the smoothness and limiter options.

The pits at Monza and Belgium after practice sessions there last night looked like a scrap yard lol... cars sitting with no wheels and on fire.

The AI do need more work from ISI and hopefully they`ll get it. I enjoy racing them as I`m sure many here do so if they were made a little more "realistic" (for want of a better word) it would be cool.

16. hoover

hoover Registered

Some folks have posted 1:36's at Portugal in the Meganes according to rF2 Rank:

http://rf2.gplrank.info/view_laptimes/

Cheers, Uwe

17. Kknorpp001

Kknorpp001 Banned

I can't be happier with the BOTH new settings. So far have tested Spark f2 at Pukeko and Putnam and AMAZING! Especially Putnam. I aslo tried Monaco briefly and seemed fine there too without any wrecks. You might want to try some different tracks before giving up completely. Like many other things in rf2 perhaps just another thing to have to adjust until things stabilize, if ever.

18. Rony1984

Rony1984 Registered

I cant remember which post, but Tim mentioned the AI code needed to be changed for further improvements

19. Axeslayer

Axeslayer Registered

Need more AI options in the UI , would be nice to have another settings screen with the most useful options from the PLR .

20. theoldguy24765

theoldguy24765 Registered

The big secret of there splittimes from Ai is the Brakingpoint. I study my own drivingskill and there for a while. After a overhauling of my setup i came up with an laptime of 1:38.405, this is 2 seconds from the Ai-Laptime in Portugal. They braking 20 to 30meter later then it is makeable. This is happen at 100% with Agression and Skill...

So there is a big gap between Reality and the AI