Driver swaps: Facts and findings

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Guy Moulton, Apr 23, 2013.

1. Guy Moulton

Guy Moulton Registered

So my pre-qual race partner and I were practicing driver swaps today and found some things out. Here's what we found, ad your experience with rFactor 2 driver swaps. Not rF1 or other sims, just rF2 please.

The first driver joins as normal

the second driver adds +spectate to his Multi CLI (under the advanced tab in the rF2 launcher

Make sure you have the Driver Hot Swap and Passenger Select keys mapped to buttons that you know.

View attachment 7447

Make sure your partner is high lighted before you press the Passenger Select key. The game will say that you are riding with them. As you can see in this pic, I hit the P key 2 times and I was no longer riding with.

View attachment 7445

The driver has to request a pit, then from the pit menu, select the driver who will take over

View attachment 7448

Lem started, I took over

View attachment 7446

Make sure click to "passenger select" again to get the "... is no longer riding with" before exiting the server. Otherwise it'll often result in a CTD for the driver who just took over the car

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 25, 2013
  2. joempie

joempie Registered

There is a driver swap manual here ;)

Which work brilliant.

The only problem is that when you take over the car, from of that moment you won't see where your pit box is, so when you do the first swap in the pit you must remember where it is else you will need to stop at every pitbox untill you find the one that is yours. :D

3. Guy Moulton

Guy Moulton Registered

Some bugs we've found.

-When the first driver tries to take back control, he loses the red pit box outline. So memorize your box location!

-When the first driver gives up the car, sometimes the game will CTD. It did for both of us everytime so the "sometimes" is giving ISI the benefit of the doubt LOL. still in beta.....

we are going to try a few things to see if it fixes the box issue and the CTD.

4. Guy Moulton

Guy Moulton Registered

OK, thanks joempie, that adds some great info

5. BlaringFiddle5

BlaringFiddle5 Registered

Guy, I notice that in your screenshot you don't have a screwed up replay window such as I do:

View1.JPG

Do you have HDR / FXAA enabled? If so, what video card do you have?

Do you have triple screens?

6. Guy Moulton

Guy Moulton Registered

single screen, HDR and FSAA (not FXAA). I have never seen that before with the replay window

7. BlaringFiddle5

BlaringFiddle5 Registered

it happens on triple screen configurations in every build i've tried so far unless you disable F<something>AA and HDR.

8. Noel Hibbard

Noel Hibbard Registered

Guy, name a time and I will join you for some swap testing. Just send me a FB message and I will get it on my phone right away and try to jump on. TeamSpeak would be helpful too. I will get setup for the SimHQ TS server. Or are you using another one?

9. TunaWiz

TunaWiz Registered

My partner and I practiced swaps yesterday for about 2 hours. We had zero problems and no CTD's. We basically followed what you outlined in your OP.

-First driver starts race.
    -Second driver comes in with the +spectate flag and highlights first drivers name. Hits Passenger select.
    -First driver requests pit. Makes sure to select second drivers name on Pit Menu.
    -Pit
    -Wait
    -Swap complete

We both have plugins running. We weren't using the same tune, same tune name, or anything like that. No issues.

We also noticed the pitbox disappearing if I tried to come back for a 2nd swap. I have to assume it's a bug on ISI's end. But perhaps it could be an issue with an installed track, like the pit box bug if you have Eastern Creek installed? Might be worth exploring.

The few tutorials I've seen say to map the Driver Hot Swap button, but it's not mentioned beyond that. And I can't figure out what it's for. We didn't need it to make swaps yesterday. Does anyone know what that actually does?

10. Guy Moulton

Guy Moulton Registered

Oh, I get it now- the Hot Swap button is for swapping while the car is still out on track- to HOT SWAP. So you don't really need it since we are doing swaps in the pits.

It's a setting that has to be enabled in multiplayer.ini

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 24, 2013
  11. WiZPER

WiZPER Registered

ALWAYS remember to click to "passenger select" again to get the "... is no longer riding with" before exiting the server. Otherwise it'll often result in a CTD for the driver who just took over the car. And wait till he's back on track..

12. Guy Moulton

Guy Moulton Registered

Thx, WIZPER, I added that to the OP

13. Noel Hibbard

Noel Hibbard Registered

I have forgotten to do this countless times without a problem. But it is easy enough to do just to be safe. I generally do it.

14. WiZPER

WiZPER Registered

We had some issues a few seasons back with one of our cars, the other ran fine. Found out drivers didn't do this in one of them. Since ALL went to do it we've run two season, both cars without ANY problems.

Thats two cars, ten drivers, 17 races of 4-12 hours each...

My theory is that it will un-associate driver-IDs most importantly for the remaining driver. IDs are gettings messed around alot when the entire field does several swaps and reconnects. It can lead to incorrect drivername when passenger selecting, AI taking over or CTD.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 30, 2013
  15. Guy Moulton

Guy Moulton Registered

There are some issues with setups and driver swaps.

Setups get messed up and changed at the stop, the only thing I can point to is that the final gear ratio gets bumped up to the longest final ratio. In the driver swap race, Lem and I got around it by setting the final gear ratio to as high as it can be then lowering the other individual gear ratios. It's a good work around as long as the track isn't too small.

16. WiZPER

WiZPER Registered

We allways make sure we run the EXACT same setup, and that both/all drivers have it assigned to that specific car/track prior to joining the server (rfactor experience)

It will show setup as 'default', but DON'T touch anything in garage after joining as spectator.

17. Timpie Claessens

Timpie Claessens Registered

The setups aren't that important I think. The car just keeps using the setup the first driver loaded. I did a quick test with my teammate, I loaded some weird set with assymetrical suspension (to notice easiliy wether it transfered) which he didnt even have and it all transfered fine.
    I'm glad we don't have to use the rF1 procedure for that, that was annoying with the ai default setup thing etc :D

18. Noel Hibbard

Noel Hibbard Registered

The tests I did with guy we didn't have setup problems either. I didn't have his setup at all either and it xfered fine. But now guy says other wise. Maybe it is random or something. Interesting that guy found that it only effects the top gear.

19. Guy Moulton

Guy Moulton Registered

I have heard from other people and had it happen myself. I suspect some people do not get this issue because they haven't changed the final gear ratio.

20. Guy Moulton

Guy Moulton Registered

In the 6 hour race, I think I saw why the pit box disappears. In practice, I joined as a regular driver, my teammate took over my car car (when I pulled in to pit, my pit box was still showing), I took it back again without logging off the server. When I did, I started from HIS pitbox and in the rear view mirror I saw MY original pit box in red outline....

So I hope this will shed some light on why the pit box disappears.