GT Pre-qual event for the 6 Hour Race Sign-up thread

Discussion in 'Online Racing Discussion' started by Guy Moulton, Apr 18, 2013.

1. guod

guod Registered

Good driver swap sessions tonight.

For anyone who can attend, there will be practice races of 15 minutes each on Wednesday, 1 May starting at 7 PM EDT (-5 GMT). This is an informal session so arrive when you can. If you plan to use our Teamspeak 3 server for driver comms, just grab any sub channel from the list of car numbers.

2. guod

guod Registered

3. JMCardenas

JMCardenas Registered

SpeedinLive will be in tomorrow's trials day 1.

We have trouble 1 hour race on Sunday. We will try to be present with at least one car.

In the tests we have not have any problems. We followed the recommendations given from the first pilot and skins. ISI should seek solutions to these problems to facilitate trouble-free use. Follow signaling box failing.

4. Guy Moulton

Guy Moulton Registered

Check that thread out again, Noel and I had no problems with using custom skins- same skins, default skins, different skins etc. It worked perfectly and without issues.

The only issue had is that the certain steps need to be followed EXACTLY in order to do the driver change. I'm going to make a checklist.

-add +spectate to the Multiplayer CLI tab
    -#2 driver Enters server (car # and skins do not matter when you join as spectator)
    -Choose to be a passenger with your #1 driver
    -#2 driver has to hit Race button
    -#1 driver requests pit
    -#1 driver goes through pit menu and chooses the #2 driver
    -#1 Enters pits and proceeds to pit box (the red pit box outline is still visible)
    -Timer will go off for both drivers while in the pit box. When it counts down to 0, the #2 driver will have control
    -#2 driver leaves pits normally
    -On track, #1 driver chooses Passenger select to no longer ride

this is it for a 1 swap race. For multiple swaps:

-#1 driver leaves server
    -#1 driver goes to the Multiplayer CLI tab and enters +spectate
    -#1 driver enters the server as spectator (car # and skin do not matter)
    -#1 driver chooses the car and presses Passenger Select
    -#2 driver requests a pit and chooses the #1 driver in the pit menu
    -#2 driver enters pit lane but the red pit box outline will be missing
    -when #2 driver is in the box and stop begins, the timer comes up again
    -when the timer reaches 0, #1 driver has control again and exits pit lane.

Autopit and driver swaps works seamlessly. For the 6 hour race we will use autopit because the red box outline doesn't affect the AI finding the box. As soon as you enter pitlane, the AI take over control and find the box automatically and the swap goes off same as ever.

Your setup goes with the car too. The #2 driver's default setup doesn't get loaded and any changes made in the pitstop work as expected. It's just like a real car- the car livery doesn't change nor does the setup when drivers really swap, and neither do these change in rF2.

5. Noel Hibbard

Noel Hibbard Registered

One time I blew a swap because I forgot to hit the race button until after I gained control. What was interesting is I had control of the car even though I forgot to hit race. But then I went ahead and hit race and it kicked me to the garage.

Just like in rF1, problems happen due to user error. I hope that ISI will improve the experience and add more guidance to the process. For example, automatically kick it to race mode if you forget to click race, or at least just leave the car in the pitbox waiting for me to remember to hit race and once I do hit race, don't kick me into the garage.

As I was saying to Guy last night, I think there are a lot of "best practices" that are probably not even needed but we do them just to be safe. I doubt anyone ever sat down with a checklist of things to try just to see if they are really needed. For example last night we made a point to not have the same skins, upgrades, setup or even the same car number just to see what would happen. It all worked fine. Setup, car number and skin transferred just fine.

Guy did notice that his SLI rev meter (which I am guessing requires a plugin) stopped working after the first swap. This could be a bug in the plugin though. This is something that we should look into. If the plugin interface shuts down after a swap that could be a big problem.

6. lonestar29

lonestar29 Member

Guy... please add another team.
    "Weasy" / "Lonestar"

7. guod

guod Registered

How are the car skins going guys? Anyone having a problem now?

8. Guy Moulton

Guy Moulton Registered

We used a skin I found here at the ISI forum. No problem for us.

9. Coutie

Coutie Moderator Staff Member

No problems for Conny and I today with the skins.

10. TunaWiz

TunaWiz Registered

Couple quick questions....

Is there a live monitor/hotlaps page for this server somewhere? I'd like to get a feel for the level of competition.

Also, is there a rule in place for the 2nd stint spectators while they're waiting to race? Same goes for the 1st driver after their stint is over.... should they not be on the server taking up bandwidth?

11. Noel Hibbard

Noel Hibbard Registered

I have seen a wide spread of talent ranging from a 30.2 to 44s. I would say if you can average a 32 - 34 the entire time you should be in the top spots.

As for driver swaps. I would spectate a few laps before your stint and the first driver should get out as soon as you are finished swapping.

Spotting without any tools is a problem though. In the league I race with we use rF Monitor but that hasn't been ported to rF2 yet and the developer has gone MIA for years now.

Luckily spotting isn't going to be much of a problem with a single class sprint race.

12. Noel Hibbard

Noel Hibbard Registered

If anyone wants to race with me let me know. Millard, are you going to do this race, if so, do you want to team up?

13. Hermmie

Hermmie Registered

I would like to sign up my team as well

J.Hoormann / C.Baxmann

14. guod

guod Registered

Nope, just the in game capability. Don't think FLT is working with rF2 yet is it?

For tonight's practice and Saturday's one-hour race, nope. Matter-of-fact, I want to load-it-up to test the box so have at it. :)

For the 6-hour, we'll have more viewing controls. But I'm planning to webcast the 6-hour event so people can keep up with the action.

15. guod

guod Registered

Practice races running now. Join the server and we'll pick you up in the following 15 race. We'll be running one after another.

16. TunaWiz

TunaWiz Registered

Hi guod,

thanks for the reply.

to be honest, I'm not sure what FLT is. I was thinking about this plugin, specifically - http://isiforums.net/f/showthread.php/3933-rFactor2-LiveMonitor-and-Hotlaps-Released

LiveMonitor example here - http://goodtimesracing.net/livemonitor/
    Hotlaps example here - http://goodtimesracing.net/livemonitor/hotlaps.php

Excellent! I was hoping to stick around and watch this particular race unfold. Thank you for offering up your server! :)

17. guod

guod Registered

Good sessions tonight guys. Thanks to everyone who could attend.

Question. Anyone have a problem with lag? I didn't see anything but one disconnect because a drivers computer had a glitch, but that wasn't rF2 or the server.

18. guod

guod Registered

FLT = Fast Lap Tracker for rF1
    http://www.simhqmotorsports.com/multiplayer/timing/timing.html

Didn't know there was anything out for rF2. I'll start checking into it for the 6-hour race.

Thanks for the info!

19. JMCardenas

JMCardenas Registered

Yesterday I could be in testing. The time prevented SpeedinLive were more companions.

I if I had lag problems. The problem was not constant. I apologize to other drivers, on one occasion this led to hit another car. My apologies to all.

My connection is 65 Mb downstream and 5Mb upstream. My Ping yesterday was 148, very high. I guess due to the distance from Spain.

The experience was positive. Difficult shoot very close to other drivers. Cars very delicate, easy to lose control with a twist. Care must be taken, to the limit of the circuit is the end of the race.

We need exact confirmation of the Day 5 race. SpeedinLive has organized another official race that day. We would like to be at least one team.

20. Gadir

Gadir Registered

Please, add another team.

Gadir/Bolson (Comunidad Reynard)

Gadir