Cannot get to Purchase tab

Discussion in 'Technical Archives' started by Howard Choularton, Apr 11, 2013.

1. Howard Choularton

Howard Choularton Registered

I'm trying to buy the game. When I go to the Purchase tab in the launcher it just says "Starting secure connection with commerce servers." and I can't get any further.

Any help would be appreciated.

2. Diablo

Diablo Registered

Maybe your firewall is blocking the launcher from connecting to the internet. Also, I do believe the launcher is relying on features of Microsoft´s Internet Explorer and you might need to update yours.

Cheers,
    Marcus

3. Isarmann

Isarmann Registered

I think the firewall suggestion is a good one, but I can add something more concrete to that...

I recently broke my copy of rF2, and the rest of Windows, come to think of it, by deleting a few registry keys. The trouble first cropped up on the Purchase tab, and although my message was different from yours, I can tell you that the Purchase tab relies on the WMI subsystem of Windows--- it's one of those things you've never heard of, but it turns out to be very critical and involved in a great many common things.

So, the upshot of it is, think about Services--- there is a WMI service, but it almost certainly is on... I would look for it being restricted, somehow? It's essentially a communications protocol for Windows management, so it's the sort of thing anything security-or-network oriented might affect. Think about whether your network communication is robust and up-to-date (network adapter drivers-- not thought of often, might be old; what about the latest and greatest .NET framework?); those backbone kind of things that might be finicky.

I can tell you that the WMI service itself has several associated Registry keys, and several of them exist to enable or disable parts of the service (Windows Firewall also has specific rules for it)--- either of those I could see having been changed by security software.

Anyway, if you'd like to take a closer look at that there WMI service, what you need to do is toddle off and get yourself a copy of WMIDiag.exe. Quite similar to DXDiag, if you're familiar. This one consists of a VBS script that tests the WMI service--- it will specifically warn you if elements of the service are blocked (whether by registry key or Windows Firewall), and it will also tell you if some part of the system (which also includes a vital database you've never heard of: the wbem repository) is broken or missing. It will also generate startlingly specific instructions about how to correct these things, insofar as that is possible. It's one of those things where the database, if lost, is often unrecoverable; and to not have it work properly makes Windows wonky in a lot of little ways... Some not so little! I couldn't run rFactor 2 because of it! :eek:

I hope hearing this stuff will help you find what's holding the launcher back-- good luck on getting it going!

4. privatebrian

privatebrian Registered