If this happens to your wheel... don't panic!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Hedlund_90, Apr 8, 2013.

1. Hedlund_90

Hedlund_90 Registered

This morning I was watching replay of my hotlap at monaco yesterday, and when the replay was finished I wanted to try "RESUME" function... But game crashed. Ok no big deal... I restarted game and loaded monaco and Brabham (not replay this time). When I was about to leave pit in practice, something strange happened. Right before pit exit it felt like my car hit something. I looked behind but couln't see anything. I continued... but something strange had happened to the steering now. It was very very light when close center and it felt like I had to turn the wheel much more in the corners. When turning right I didn't have to steer as much as when turning left. Really strange.

So I restarted game, but it did not help. So I restarted computer and wheel. That did not help neither... I was starting to think that my wheel was broken, or that there was nothing wrong at all, maybe I just had to increase FFB!? But something was wrong, i didn't feel that amazing as yesterday. I left monaco and entered Spa instead. Same problem here, but I continued to drive and after I while it almost felt like the car was turning into the corners automatically (just a tiny tiny tiny bit), so then I thought of steering help. And it was.

Steering help had been activated and I'm 100% sure I didn't do it. Because it happened while driving and I was not even close to the keyboard. I have by accident activated it before and almost wanted to beat my wheel up and destroy it because I was so angry :)mad::mad:) but then realized that steering help was activated.

So if your wheel of any reason feels wierd, check steering help. Don't kill your beloved wheel! LOL. But WHY do we have it at all? It can't help newbies, can it? :confused:

2. KeiKei

KeiKei Registered

:) Maybe steering help is mainly for those who drive with keyboard. I know I know... :)

3. Hedlund_90

Hedlund_90 Registered

Had not even thought about that... So it's for keyboardusers? How does it work?

It's the devil's invention...

4. gorgias1976

gorgias1976 Registered

I "suffered" the same, but in my case being the F1 key so close to the Esc one, most probably I hit it by accident.

5. Barf Factor

Barf Factor Registered

I unbound all the keys for the assists to prevent unintended activation of the devil's invention

6. deak1944

deak1944 Guest

+1

7. 1959nikos

1959nikos Registered

Yes, I had this too and I went crazy, I was lucky to figure it quickly, it was F button as Gorgias said.

8. Ricknau

Ricknau Registered

The key to my figuring it out one time was when I turned the wheel to the lock at the Monaco hairpin and visibly saw the tires keep turning. For hours before that I couldn't figure out what was wrong. I just could not hit my marks. I thought I had somehow totally lost all my abilities.

Should the most realistic sim ever really need to cater to keyboard drivers?!

9. MrPix

MrPix Registered

Of course, how would the sub-teen driving experts race otherwise?

10. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

I also remove all aids (they really should be defaulted to all off except auto clutch)

I also remove all the F keys so not to activate any aids by mistake etc

11. KeiKei

KeiKei Registered

Hahah LOL!!! :D :D :D

12. mark0spasic

mark0spasic Registered

HAHA nice FFB :p

13. ccjcc81

ccjcc81 Registered

I would never believe this if I hadn't seen the video. Where do you find this $$$$?

14. osella

osella Registered

+1 and not only that - when I discovered rf 4 years ago, I actually played on keyboard for 1 full month. Even then, the sim has obviously no idea when you need to turn, like when you want to avoid opponents. That aid is ridiculous, served no purpose in rf1 and serves no in rf2 too imo.

Also +1 to whoever said that aids should be all turned OFF by default and not even mapped to keys. I think it would make more players learn to drive without them because if you had to enable them manually, you'd realize you are setting the game easier because you can't do with default settings; if default has so many aids enabled it makes new players think it's ok to have them even on historical cars, even if it totally defeats the purpose of simulating them...

OK I know ISI won't unmap them by default but at least turn them off when you first start the sim..

15. gorgias1976

gorgias1976 Registered

[​IMG]