Can anyone connect to my server?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by BlaringFiddle5, Apr 5, 2013.

1. BlaringFiddle5

BlaringFiddle5 Registered

yes - I'm thinking it is rfactor2 tho ... as others CAN connect ... I saw several people connected over the weekend and raced. Yet - I have NEVER been able to connect to my own server (from my house to work). Wireshark on both ends shows packets flowing back and forth but no connecty. I can connect to SOME of the servers in the server list but not all.

2. BlaringFiddle5

I have turned off windows firewall - can someone try to connect please? BlaringFiddle5's F Renault

3. BlaringFiddle5

Mike_P was able to connect to my server again both without and with windows firewall. I'll do some testing tonight and file bug report if necessary after some packet captures.

4. Tosch

Tosch Registered

Connection failed.

5. Banger

Banger Registered

i found the server, 0/26 cars , but get server connection failed too. try with local lan on/off

6. BlaringFiddle5

Fergy [SR4L] was able to connect - says he is from Germany yet Tosch from Germany above said he could not connect

7. Antaeus

Antaeus Registered

show screen from dedicated server running on your PC

and check in task manager before start dedicated server, that all old sesions from dedicated server are closed

8. BlaringFiddle5

I have rebooted the server and started the dedicated server again. It is the only thing running on the machine (besides default windows shiz)

I say server - it isn't really a server - windows 7 install actually - call it a server as it isn't someone's work station :)

9. Antaeus

Antaeus Registered

when server running have you info: 'Server status updated sucesfully!'?

10. Banger

Banger Registered

nope blarring, just try a few secs ago, still the same message. Server connection failed.i don't think it would be the op.system m8, more of a settings feature in rfactor that causing the problem.

what seems to be happening is the server should directed the player to the cars selection. but this doesn't seem to be happening on your server,i try other servers no problems.

other server choas fun.de : connected okay
    alos ozzies game server. with formula 3.5 series.ok

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 11, 2013
  11. Fergy

Fergy Registered

Could be a stupid question but you do have these ports added to your router don't you?
    View attachment 7256

Turning your firewall off is not required or safe.

12. Yarach

Yarach Registered

Another problem could be that your ISP has blocked you from hosting. Which is also the reason I cannot host. Unofrtunately my dad doen't want to switch to another ISP.

A friend of mine has found a workarround through port forwarding. Please don't ask me how. But it worked at his house.

13. BlaringFiddle5

yes

14. BlaringFiddle5

This is on a server network at work - public IPs / no nat. No external firewall on this particular network. Windows firewall has been told to allow the rfactor 2 dedicated executable. We are multi-homed with direct fiber connections. Nothing is blocked on the upstream end (with the exception possibly of traceroute which seems to be common practice these days). Wireshark shows the packet leave the client - arrive at server - server sends response packet - arrives back at client. Still no connect. Here are some wireshark captures from both ends when I try to connect:

rFactor2 Client side.pcapng

rFactor2 Server Side.pcapng

It should be noted that I got the packet capture from the server side by remote desktopping to the server from the actual client machine - so routing is most certainly fine :)

15. BlaringFiddle5

Can someone try: BlaringFiddle TEST - I have started up a server in my house to try to isolate the problem. I have been able to connect to it locally ...

16. deak1944

deak1944 Guest

Nice ping 48 ms! ok for me!

17. BlaringFiddle5

Wow - so you got in to the server at my house that is behind a firewall / NAT that I had to forward through ... there is something wrong at work me thinks ... next week I'll bring the server from work home and see if the problem disappears.

18. BlaringFiddle5

19. deak1944

deak1944 Guest

Connected no problem.

20. BlaringFiddle5

very strange indeed! That is on the same network (different subnet but same building and everything).