When RF2 ATI optimized?

Discussion in 'Technical Archives' started by Didi, Apr 5, 2013.

1. Didi

Didi Registered

Hi Guys!

After reading plenty of threads in forums, a short question.
    When will ISI optimize rF2 also for ATI Cards?
    Up to now i have heard, that ISI asked ATI to optimized their drivers for the game,
    but ATI said NO, ISI has to optimized the Game for ATI Cards.
    Or is there any information about this issue, or something that says me,
    i can use my VTX3D 7950 in future or must change it into a NVidia Card if i
    want to "play" rF2 without problems...

Didi

2. Gonzo

Gonzo Member

rF2 should run on Ati and Nvidia.
    Thats a myth, Ati and Nvidia both want to run rF2 good on their card.
    Same is valid for isi, they are optimizing for both, Nvidia and Ati, there is no priority for any gpu manufactor.
    Different card-architectures gives advantages with different titles, it always been like that and it will continue like that.
    rF1 tend to run better on ati cards, now with hdr, dynamic lighting and better shadows nv seems to have a small advantage.

Regards

3. Didi

Didi Registered

Hi!

But it suprises me, that more ATI-Users are talking about problems, than NVidia Users.
    And, i think you agree with me, an AMD Phenom II X6 T1100 together with a VTX3D 7950 (3GB Ram-OC) and 16GB Ram/Win7 64bit must be more than enough for a Simulation like rF2.
    But it seems that it isnĀ“t. Even guys with ATI 7970 cards are often disappointed, that they can`t race
    with nearly full resolutions. I dropped mine down to high and medium, but when it`s raining there are never more
    than 27(at start)-45/50 fps when the distance of the cars become bigger, at all.
    And, belive in me, i am not a beginner in working with Computers.
    I optimized my system up to the highest level which is possible.
    Maybe ISI can post optimized modulations for ATI Control Center, or some modulations for low/Medium/High Standard PCs.
    I think, it is no Reputation for ISI, if Simulation-freaks will not by rF2,or be angry, because they have the wrong Graphic-card.
    Even if someone will buy and race, he (or she) will be sure the game is ready to play when CD/DVD/Digi-Download is installed on Pc, without making an examination in "ISI-rFactor2-work arround"

For example ProjectCARS, Assetto Corsa, FarCry3,Crysis3,BF3 even ARM3 are running on my PC without any problems (in high to full resolution) and, for sure, these are games which need much CPU and graphic power,too.
    They further run in directX10-11, not in directX9.

AND, that is very important, as a big, big fan of rF1, i imploringly hope rF2 will be a big success because i love to race simulations together with many other freaks.
    I love "fighting" on tracks.
    But for now it looks like my rF2 Formula Racer has to wait in Pits, until i can bring him arround tracks
    in a nearly smooth way

Respectfully
    Didi Draxler/Austria

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 5, 2013
  4. Noel Hibbard

Noel Hibbard Registered

I think you will find that ATI cards are having problems in pCARS too. In pCARS you have to cap your framerate with 3rd party tools to get rid of the input lag and it seems like the Nvidia guys aren't having input lag at all.

My next card will definitely be Nvidia.

5. Didi

Didi Registered

Well!

I can`t see any problems at P-CARS. Even if there are some, but not THAT big as in rF2.
    I also thought about buying a NVidia, but i bought an ATI about 4 weeks ago.
    "Big trouble in little Linz/Austria"
    But i still hope, all probs at ISI/rF2 will be solved when Build 1.0 becomes reality :)

Didi

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 5, 2013
  6. Paul_Ceglia

Paul_Ceglia Registered

yep, I have 5870's with issues, micro stuttering and poor performance (res 5040x1050) I added a third 5870 and my frames have been good. I still get very little micro stutter from time to time but it is much better than it was. Unfortunately HDR doesn't work while running a third card. Although I built my system nearly 3 years..sh*t maybe 4 now...lol Im surprised at how well ARMA3 runs with pretty much high settings with that large res (better than 2 did). But as Noel said when the time comes to build a new system it will have Nvidia. My previous system had nvidia and never really had any issues with them.

7. BrokkelPiloot

BrokkelPiloot Registered

I have a HD6870 (CAT 13.1) which should be plenty (imho) to run the game at decent settings. Even with these settings I get very bad fps drops and stuttering. I've also tried different combinations of HDR and FXAA of no avail. I really hope this improves because it ruins the gameplay both on- and offline. Anyone know if the CAT 13.3 Beta improves the fps (stability)?
    View attachment 7215 View attachment 7216

8. ViSo

ViSo Registered

9. Jamezinho

Jamezinho Registered

I'm running a 7950 (OC @ 1150MHz) and a i5 2500k (@4.5GHz), so a good system, especially as I'm gaming only at 1080p.

I run the game maxed out, except AF@x8 and shadows on high/optimal, and for the most part it holds 60fps. I get drops to 30-45fps on the starting grid and 45-60fps when in traffic. It's not bad but it doesn't feel optimised to me when compared to other games which are much more graphically demanding. Sometimes I get fps drops when I don't expect them.

Also, I'm not really sure how the AA works in this game. What do the levels represent? I'd much rather ISI provided a straightforward 2x, 4x, 8x option for AA like most other games, so I know exactly what I'm applying. Otherwise it's a case of forcing settings through Catalyst or RadeonPro.

10. lopsided

lopsided Registered

I had some stuttering, some tearing and low FPS with my 6950 2gb card which I blamed on the "power" of the GPU. I was frustrated with it so I decided to upgrade my GPU. Could have gone either way as far as ATI / Nvidia but choose an Nvidia card.

I have all rf2 in game settings on/maxed, that includes shadows and reflections.
    I get fantastic FPS @ 5760x1080 and high level detail but, just as important... I have not had any further issues with stuttering, tearing etc.
    Hard to say if it was simply due to the power of the new card (EVGA GTX 670 4gb) or the fact that I went from ATI to Nvidia.
    Drivers? Power? Both? Not sure, but very happy now.

11. Bob Simmerman

Bob Simmerman Registered

I'm having serious performance issues on a new PC with an ATI 7970 card. Stuttering, poor frame rates at low graphics settings are rendering the game nearly unplayable. The new PC is an i7 3930 with a Radeon 7970. Naturally, all other games run incredibly fast at insane high levels of detail.

As a comparison, rFactor 2 runs faster on an i7 920 with an NVIDIA Quadro 4000 card, not the ideal gaming system.

I'd say there is a problem with rFactor 2 and ATI cards.

12. Rich_hard1

Rich_hard1 Registered

There Is indeed a problem using ATI based GFX Cards. I now achieve a steady FPS using the MSI Afterburner and Riva Tuner FPS limiter set to 30FPS.

once set correctly above, change your RF2 game settings as below:-

In Menus-

Take off HDR
    Use '2 x' Antialiasing
    Shadows on Medium or High but nothing on Max!!
    Reflections from road only
    No wind or crowd motion
    AA on level 1 or 2
    Visible Cars- I use between 15-20
    No FXAA
    Synchronize GPU
    Lower your vertical FOV under 35 if possible
    Reduce all other Detail levels to taste

and in game-

Take off Rear view side Mirrors using '3' until only middle mirror remains.

13. Bob Simmerman

Bob Simmerman Registered

Hmmm, that sounds like a lot of work for 30 FPS.

I think I'll pass for now.

14. Pluginz

Pluginz Registered

I manage to get really good performance out of my system with online races - HD5750 and Q6600. I just have to be careful with what i choose. Default Catalyst Control settings are the way to go for me too.

I was going to upgrade at some point because I thought my components were not upto the job, but I really dont think its necessary at the moment.

Im running 1600x900 - x2 AA
    HDR - ON
    FXAA - OFF
    Circuit/Player/Opponent details - LOW
    Texture detail - FULL
    X8 Anisotropic
    Special Effects - MED
    Shadows - MED
    Reflections all - OFF
    Occlusion - OFF

V-Sync - OFF

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cv2z80KPBRk

15. Isarmann

Isarmann Registered

A Different Experience

I disagree.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 25, 2013
  16. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

I've tried "eq" and "edge detect" aa on my 6950 and 7950 in many games and I can never see an improvement in IQ, I do see a drop in frames though, and sometimes even worse IQ.

I like to stick to regular aa, not eq or edge detect. Then from there just decide wether you want that normal 4x aa (example) to be the standard multisample (msaa), the adaptive (transparency for nvidia users), or "frame destroying but beautiful not a jaggy in sight on any object at any angle" supersampling. Adaptive works brilliantly in many games, removes tons of jaggies that regular multisample still leaves behind and most hardware nowadays should have no problem running even 8x adaptive.

With RFactor/RFactor 2 however, unlike most games, adaptive doesn't seem to help IQ much, not even close to how massive of a difference it makes in some games. For RF/RF2, in my opinion, it's pretty much just regular msaa or go all out and go supersampling if you can.

Since having powerful enough hardware, in rfactor 1 I now use 4x supersampling (like to go under 120 fps as little as possible). Will probably have to lower that to 2x once I set up my 3 screens with multi-view. Hopefully a 7950 can handle that.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 25, 2013
  17. Isarmann

Isarmann Registered

I only see a small difference with the EQ levels, if any, but they don't seem to impact performance, so I use them. Adaptive, too, it's arguable--- I'm not sure I see the difference or not. Supersampling I only tried a little... and I'm not sure how long ago that was (which hardware setup). It seemed like even the lower levels were an enormous performance hit, but not beautiful enough to make up for it. I might try a bit more with the supersampling, see what that's like.

18. Noel Hibbard

Noel Hibbard Registered

That was without a doubt the longest and most redundant post I have ever seen on any forum ever. Hahaha. Congrats! :p

For the record, I stay above 60fps at all times on my old ATI 5770 but only after setting "Max Framerate=60" in the PLR file. I refuse to use VSync. But that doesn't mean I wouldn't do even better if I was on an Nvidia 460 which was the comparable card at the time I got my 5770. ATI has been blowing in all sims these days. AC, rF2 and pCARS.

ATI has known problems with stutter. This is something they have been working on and is widely documented.

19. Isarmann

Isarmann Registered

Thank you!

But I'm not so sure it was all that long, or redundant either...

Please read it again to confirm.

20. Noel Hibbard

Noel Hibbard Registered

I did, the whole thing... It could have been cut down to a 1/4 of it's size. :p

BTW, have you ever looked at the CPU usage in rF2? I think you would be surprised at how low it is. I am sure some people have a CPU bottleneck, but for the most part the GPU is the bottleneck.