It is a shame!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Didi, Apr 3, 2013.

1. privatebrian

privatebrian Registered

@ TIG_green post #60

Tell me which Graphics settings can be forced, i think Marc has a point here, take old spa for example
    if you have track details on max, you get those nasty little white posts around the edge of the track,
    if you put track details to high you don't,and as far as i'm aware you cannot force these kind of graphic
    settings.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 4, 2013
  2. MarcG

MarcG Registered

All Cars All Tracks will become a complete mess the more mods and tracks get released, there's already the problem with faffing about with seat and mirror movements, then graphics, then selecting each individual mod and slower loading times....Again this has been rehashed many times before in the wish list forum and changes need to be made to the basic usage but it's nowhere near getting done.

3. TIG_green

TIG_green Registered

How many graphical settings really effect how fast you are on track? Disabling speacial effects takes away spray and makes you faster so I was only speaking of that. I was speaking of league members trusting each other, maybe you want to read my post again.

4. TIG_green

TIG_green Registered

I'm confused. Tell me a system where the game reads your mind and gives you a list where are only the tracks you were about to choose :p

You always have to choose from full list of tracks, wheater by creating a vmod or choosing car/track compination in "all tracks and cars"

5. privatebrian

privatebrian Registered

Sorry perhaps you need to more specific as to which settings your talking about,Marc was talking about
    Graphic settings not Aids, which by the way you can force. :)

6. TIG_green

TIG_green Registered

I sometimes write in rush :p

But of course, if you want to have rain in a public server then it would be a real problem. One reason not to race in rain atm.

7. JWE

JWE Registered

It's a shame, such a shame, lalala. I don't agree with it. Sure, the mod managing system isn't very easy. But it works! In my league there are no mismatches anymore. And when all content are components it will be much easier.

8. privatebrian

privatebrian Registered

:)

9. Denstjiro

Denstjiro Registered

You realise that its just reversed now do you? your members would get mismatches joining the league server in rf1, leave, fix, return.
    Now its the same, but reversed, if members don't prepare their sim, no-entry, they leave, fix, re-join.

So no mismatches is an illusion, its just that rf2 now simply prevents the mismatches to obstruct the server. but they are still there. and your members might still get in trouble if they join the server unprepared.

Which is a good thing of course, no more crap on the server and easily solvable especially for leagues. but to say the issues magically went away is not entirely correct.

10. Diablo

Diablo Registered

Fair enough. Let me rephrase then. The flaw is not exactly to define a mod the way you did, it is relying on (v)Mods (alone) for the decision making, who gets to join and who does not. As I have said several times, that is an out of sync solution, because I can very easily create a perfectly valid vMod, which brings back the "All Cars & Tracks" server option of rF1. Then I choose to only run one car and one track on my server, by means of the filters. rF2 would still require everyone wanting to join the server, that they have installed everything which happens to be referenced by the vMod. The correlation between a vMod and the currently running event on a server can only be an exact match, if I create one vMod for every single event.
    To join a specific online event (the combination of a car filter and a single track layout), I don´t necassarily need to have tracks that might never be relevant for me, because I might just want to participate in this one.
    The two extremes of vMods, again, are the one that includes/reference all tracks and cars, which will most likely turn away a lot of potential participants, and the one that includes only the selections of cars allowed (no additional filter on the server setup) and a single track, which makes rotation of or voting for events impossible and thus put quite a bit of additional work on the admins.
    Both these extremes are not really feasible, so an inbetween has to be found, which is only ever going to be compromised to either side. That cannot be right, not when I can define the conditions to join a server as simple as: "Must have all cars allowed by filter and the currently running track layout (singular). On track change check this condition again, done."
    The ISI condition by design as it is now: "Must have vMod installed", which is plain wrong, but an easy way to reuse a design concept, hence I called it a cut corners kind of deal in an earlier post. And I know, that you know this is wrong, and that you did cut corners or maybe haven´t thought this through, it can happen, no big deal, just admit it. You must know, it is obvious. No response to this or one not falsifying this statement will be treated as silent affirmation. ;-)

Anyway, if you have to stick to the vMods for online usage, then please, for goodness´ sake, change the dedicated server application, so it will create a volatile vMod upon event initialization and bring back the "all cars & all tracks" option for server use as well.

Cheers,
    Marcus

P.S.: On third thought, why do we need (v)Mods anyway? In offline I can make my own series as easy as using the opponent filter and track selection. Transport this to online mode by referencing components rather than vMods. Result, no hard connection between Track and Vehicle components, thus more freedom, and a behaviour very similar to rF1 plus the improvements of the new packaging system with no downsides.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 4, 2013
  11. Diablo

Diablo Registered

Very poor example or just badly phrased? Simracing alone does not involve port forwarding, so long as you don´t intend to host a server. And there is nothing that can be done by ISI to change how networking works, so port forwarding and firewall piercing remain necessities. What they can do, is change their own program to make it more user friendly.

12. MarcG

MarcG Registered

Rf1, you load the mod and race on any track you've installed...simple! Vmods are great for online, no problem with that, for offline use with single mods it's a pita and not needed as we already select single player from the launcher. Sure if you want to mix match mods again it's good, but not for singular mod use.

13. Diablo

Diablo Registered

On the mismatches in rF1, I am almost certain, there was an option to not immediately kick drivers due to mismatches. If enabled or set correctly, people with mismatches could at least chat and ask for information, what they need. This is no longer possible in rF2, so the casual user must rely on google to find the proper download.

Edit: Yep:
    Code:
    Mismatch Response="2" // how the server responds to mismatches: 0=does nothing, 1=kicks the mismatched client at the beginning of the Race session, 2=kicks client immediately, 3=kicks client from Qualifying or Race

14. privatebrian

privatebrian Registered

This can be tiresome and expensive,if like me your on PAYG mobile broadband, though hopefully in a
    couple of weeks time i will have a proper connection :)

15. Gonzo

Gonzo Member

Offline all tracks and cars are free. Simply select "All cars & tracks" from the top and select whatever you want.

16. MarcG

MarcG Registered

Completely missed my point about the state of All Cars All Tracks...well done!

17. jrcn50

jrcn50 Registered

And what about Malaysia 1.42 full loop (I only get south loop with 1.42 version!)? I need vmod? well, now I've to use a vmod (found on the forum) to race with marussia and Clio on Malaysia 1.42 but I don't know how to do with other cars...any help?

18. Lukas Yardbird

Lukas Yardbird Registered

If you go rfactror2/support/tools - you will find app to create vmods (mas2.exe) and then you can make any car/track combo

19. ceSniper

ceSniper Registered

In the past, you only had to have the correct mod and track to race online, now you have to have the correct car mod, the correct car/track pack/mod and a whole list of tracks installed, even if you are planning to race in only one of them, so I see no advantage there. The problems with mismatches in rfactor1 was due to the number of mods and versions of tracks available, which will happen in rfactor2 as well, only worsen by the fact that you need a bunch of correct versions of a bunch of tracks instead of only the one you are planning to race in.
    then we have this 198 build, where the clio cup dissapears as a mod and we have to wait for someone to create one, then use the "get mod" to find out I´m missing Mills 1.3, which is nowhere to be downloaded.
    Since it seems to come with the 1gb full install, i removed all the mods, all the tracks then rfactor 2 and resintalled from fresh, to find out i still have mills 1.2 installed and no signs of 1.3 anywhere.
    End result, havent tested the new build since I get bored playing offline and there is no way to find a server I can join without missing a track of the pack (in this case, the magical Mills 1.3) even if I have the one the server is racing on.
    I´m extremely dissapointed

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 5, 2013
  20. Gonzo

Gonzo Member

yup, disappointing, bur for now:

1) You can easily create vmods with your mas tool in your support folder
    2) For offline racing you can enable "All cars and tracks" in the top of the mod-selection, which makes you able to combine every track and every car you have installed
    3) Shortly all missing components can be downloaded automatically by the lobby.

and in the near future all this will be an easy job and racing online will be very easy and comfortable.