Concerns and Suggestions Regarding RFactor 2 Updates

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Spinelli, Apr 2, 2013.

1. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

I posted part of this post originally under the "Tim's Tweets" thread, in response to the new Lime Rock Park V1.4x update, but thought I'd make a new thread about it, so moderators may delete the part of this message from that thread if they feel I am spamming (which is definitely not my intention)

1. What's the point of this (the new LRP update which supposedly hasn't had a single edit/update/change to to)?

2. Why is there no thread on this?

3. If changing the version # for organizational purposes, at least make a few small changes just for the sake of changing the version #...

4. If there is not even the tinniest change to the file (except the version #) then why isn't this explained on the ISI site, or on facebook or wherever?

5. What about people who don't download this updated version, will they be incompatible to play online with people with the new version?

6. Does this update even show up on the launcher, like a news section saying "LRP updated to version 1.4x," with some notes, explanations and links to download?

7. So much "fine print" stuff with RF2, people don't want to be having to check facebook and other websites every time they feel like playing a video game in order to see if there are any updates.

8. The game has to be notifying us, from an in-game news section, or a news section from the launcher which would probably be the best idea. The absolute best would be auto-updating, but at the very least (and this would at-least be good enough) the game should be notifying us that there are updates available in a pop-up or news section (through the launcher) with further information/notes/links from there.

It's not that we're retarded, and can't search forums and websites for updates, and can't search threads for update info/notes, but it's about the user experience, ease of use, and being very informative to the client about their product. Imagine we had to manually check and search forums and websites everyday for updates for all our computer programs, or even for just all our games? That would be straight up hell lol.

9. Regarding April Fools:
    I don't think this was an April fools joke, as saying a product has been updated as a joke wouldn't exactly be funny since downloading a file like this uses up a decent amount of bandwidth from servers, players, etc. not to mention the fact that RF2 is very much a WIP at the moment, so any "fake" joke update would be really unwelcomed at the moment.

If it infact was an April fools joke, then ISI could have at least made it funny with some huge real funny objects or trackside banners or making the grip like 10x less than normal lol, or putting rabbits and Easter eggs hopping around all over the track side, or a plane flying across the sky with a huge banner saying "APRIL FOOLS FROM ISI, DON'T WORRY, REAL UPDATE COMING VERY SOON :)" or something like that.

10. I totally understand due to the WIP development stage of RF2 that things may not be able to update automatically yet, as the core updates just finally started working good from the auto-update button, BUT, there is no excuse for just simply putting a news section in the launcher with announcements for every single car/track/core game/mod/series etc update that occurs, and then from there if even just adding notes and info is too much work, then at the very least just provide the links for things like more information on the update, direct download/torrent links, or even just the website link for the download links page.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 2, 2013
  2. Paul_Ceglia

Paul_Ceglia Registered

You make valid points Spinelli, I was taken back by an update being on FB but Tim mentioned that he was going to post it, (after he went do do) someone just beat him to it. But it still wasn't officially announced here on the forums so I get it ;)

3. Denstjiro

Denstjiro Registered

The trick with April fools jokes is to make people believe its real, and then its not.

I don't know about Italy but over here people get send all across the country by corporations, organisations, media etc because there was a treasure, or an ufo sighting or whatever. heck even local governments are trolling their citizens and make them go chase something that never existed.

So ISI making you download something would be the proper way to fool you. Otherwise its too obvious.
    If I was ISI I would simply have told you guys rf2 will be released within a week. now THAT would be hilarious :p

4. MarcG

MarcG Registered

Many good points Spinelli well said, lets hope ISI listen and take stock of the recent shambles, at least one good thing to come from it is other Sim Companies will know how not to do it!

5. D!2T

D!2T Registered

Point #8

Hear, hear I concur
    + 1,000,000