can I run RFACTOR2 on a Mac Book pro with nvidia

Discussion in 'Technical Archives' started by Springer, Mar 31, 2013.

1. Springer

Springer Registered

I have just purchased a macbook pro with the intention of running Rfactor2, the salesman assured me I could do so using a windows crossover app.I had installed the launcher, but need to purchase the program.using the purchase tab I get error messages about CPU/ethernet device and permanent storage device not being found(802.110).Can you please tell me if there is a solution to this,and is anyone else running this program via a macbook pro with i7 CPU 8gb ram and nvidia GeForce GT650M 1024 mb and crossover app?

2. ambig88

ambig88 Registered

The salesman lied to you. Crossover will not work for gaming.

You need to natively install Windows using Boot Camp (search for Boot Camp in Spotlight). Follow the onscreen instructions. There are tutorials on the Internet to help you install Windows on your Mac.

3. Springer

Springer Registered

is that a good thing to run on a macbook or is there a risk to the system,this appears to be a very expensive iPad that i have bought (£1900 with support etc). I originally went in looking for an alienware gaming PC but was talked into this.Am considering taking it back as my primary use was for Rfactor2 and project cars.

4. call-911

call-911 Registered

If your primary use is racing sims, take it back.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

5. ambig88

ambig88 Registered

I would not describe it as a very expensive iPad. However, if you have no desire to run Mac OS X or use any of its programs and your primary use will be playing Windows only video games, then the Macbook Pro really wouldn't be very suitable, simply because of the price and the extra hassle in getting everything going on it. You can certainly use it for exactly how you want to use it, but you can get a faster Windows laptop for what you paid for the Macbook Pro.

And, no, you won't damage it.

6. Knight of Redemption

Knight of Redemption Registered

Take it back and give the salesman a kicking...well don't do that, the kicking that is, but there is no doubt he sold you what he wanted to sell you, not what was best for you.

7. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

You need to natively install Windows. Research boot camp from apple. As long as the Mac meets the specs (including Windows) it will work. Get a refund for crossover if that's the only reason you bought it.

Sent from a mobile device using Tapatalk

8. canastos

canastos Registered

Take that "very expensive iPad" back, because it's not what you were looking for; the salesman lied or (most probably) had no idea
    Alienware is the choice if you plan gamming in a laptop; also check MSI gaming series if you didn't yet ;)

byyyyyyyyyye

9. [NAR]Steve

[NAR]Steve Registered

If you don't NEED a Laptop. you could build a pretty good gaming rig with what you paid for that Macbook.

10. Drake Barron

Drake Barron Registered

I just made a forum account for the sole purpose of telling you that these responses are lies by uninformed people. In 10 minutes I got rfactor2 working perfectly on my somewhat dated MacBook Pro that has integrated graphics, without booting windows. Crossover can indeed run games and as a matter of fact part of their company is "Crossover Games."

I'm going to be posting a thread in a moment with a download for the version I made that's completely free and takes minutes to set up. I'll put it in this forum. Crossover runs with Wine, which is what I use. It is a very quick form of pseudo-emulation that doesn't lose the speed emulators do. I can play benchmark games like rfactor 2, Guild Wars 2, Eve Online, and pretty much any other application I've a mind to setup.

11. Drake Barron

Drake Barron Registered