[REL] rFactor2 Weather Tool

Discussion in 'Other' started by Gerald Jacobson, Mar 30, 2013.

1. Gerald Jacobson

Gerald Jacobson Registered

Look your wet file and check the date. Then launch Weather Tool and collect then save weather for this circuit. Did you see the wet date changed. If yes, rfactor 2 should take it. If not, look in your plr if you not have the weather set as fixed (or check the plr checkbox in the weather tool before saving collected weather)

2. Philip00

Philip00 Member

when i click save file i check .wet file and all is fine. But when i start the game all is default again(29 C always). I quit then i chechk again .wet file, but now default (29 C). I tried to chechk plr box in weather tool before save, but same result, when i start game somehow game reedit my .wet file to default.
    What is the soultion? :(

3. SPASKIS

SPASKIS Registered

Rf2 saves both wet file and plr after exiting the game and will overwrite FROM RAM any change made to them while rF2 was running.

While running, rF2 will use the values stored in RAM and will not be affected by any external changes made to the files, which can be applied, but will be lost afterwords as said.

I hope I explained myself

enviado mediante tapatalk

4. SPASKIS

SPASKIS Registered

For this reason, in order to have server having a real automatic dynamic weather this should be the procedure to be automatised.

- stop the server periodically (I am not sure if it is
    - automatically launch rF2-WT with parameters to provide the time criteria used. This could be absolute or relative to the moment when the program is launched. I'll explain later.
    - automatically save both plr and wet file.
    - automatically launch rF2 with those parameters.

Time defining criteria:

-Relative: a positive (prediction) or a negative (historic) offset wrt actual time. I actually prefer the second one since predictions are not changed as dynamically as historic records. It has the additional advantage of transparency for league purposes: the used weather can be later proved to follow the published criteria since they remain unchanged.

- absolute: a specific date and times are used. This can also be used for future and past predictions. For past (historic) predictions there is no need to be rewriting the wet and plr files since they would remain constant. For future predictions, however, it would: TWC only provides forecasting for 48 hours and will use that if a more advanced time is specified. Therefore it will be dynamic but not being the prediction for the specified day. 48 hours prior to the specified time, the prediction will start being a real prediction and should vary less until finally becoming a historic prediction and remaining constant.

As it can be seen there are several ways to use the tool in order to have a realistic random weather in dedicated servers. From all of them I clearly prefer the relative historic prediction since it is the one that fulfills all my goals as league admin.

5. Philip00

Philip00 Member

So you think if i rewrite the .Wet file it will work for me?

6. Gerald Jacobson

You must not have rfactor running when you use the tool.

7. Philip00

Philip00 Member

I didn't run RFactor whne i use, but i have same problem:(

8. SPASKIS

SPASKIS Registered

Are you selecting scripted weather in rf2 before exiting?
    If so, I don't know where your problem resides.

9. R-B

R-B Registered

i thought i had the same problem, but it was a **** up on my side.

Check the Directory path in the weatherconfig.xml, i think that one is not correct. It must locate to the player / settings / track map.

i.e. :
    Game: C:\Games\rFactor 2 Install 4\UserData\player\Settings\SNLEuropean_GP
    Path is then: <Directory path="SNLEuropean_GP"/>

10. gpfan

gpfan Registered

Are you using the minimal UI HUD? The problem for was that, when i return to default UI everything back to normal!

11. Philip00

Philip00 Member

YES! That was the problem, THANKS!! now works fine!

12. Grandi

Grandi Registered

Hi there,

just wanted to say thanks for this excellent piece of work, in my mind it ranks among the best user created content for rF2, and certainly something that makes it possible for rF2 to differentiate among the sim market. I was just about to post on the connectivity of this app with the minimal UI (another fantastic addition), but it looks like gpfan beat me to it :) . Gerald, do you have an idea as to why the minimal UI imports a default weather even though the .wet file generated by the weather tool specifies the correct conditions? It would be great to have both the UI and the weather tool working concurrently.

13. Gerald Jacobson

Hello i will download minimalui and try to find the issue.

14. Gerald Jacobson

I looked into the UI and it seems that it does not use the existing weather (from wet file), but set a fixed weather (Sunny / 29° Track / 29° Air).

I put this bug in the Minimal UI thread.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 10, 2014
  15. SPASKIS

SPASKIS Registered

Big issue for offline. I guess for online using a dedicated server is not relevant since no UI is required

16. R-B

R-B Registered

True, i use to tool for league races, and indeed no UI required so no problems.

17. Grandi

Grandi Registered

Great, thanks!

18. Gerald Jacobson

Here a quote of the other thread.

19. Gupster

Gupster Registered

Thanks again Gerald, I use this tool before every session now.

20. Gerald Jacobson

ISI have published a new version of the internal Plugin API (v06) comming with the build 660. Now, it is possible to update the weather directly inside the game (at runtime).

I think i will develop a windows service that will send in udp the current weather to the server, and then, the plugin will update the weather at each udp frame update.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 17, 2014