Gave up beta. Waiting for the final release.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Jux, Mar 26, 2013.

1. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

Yeah if that feels slow, you're probably not going to be that happy. Although we have added some staff, I don't know how much it'll alter that pace. Cars are obviously quicker than tracks, and always will be.

2. Muxi-Mux

Muxi-Mux Registered

Oh, you think ~5 month per track is a good pace? Too bad that you are not my boss. ;)
    Anyway, thanks for your explanations. I like your inside view postings...

3. 88mphTim

I would like it to happen faster, but I know how hard the guys work. And with the size of the team, it was what it was. Same guys also had to do some other things for tracks. But as I said, we will have to see what happens with some staffing changes, I make no timing promises on new tracks though. :) None of the tracks you've had so far have had the larger team work on them.

Some of the time you are including may have been taken up by Silverstone, by the way.

4. C3PO

C3PO Registered

Tim, is your Silverstone track laser-scanned?

5. 88mphTim

No. Neither was LRP.

Sent from a mobile device using Tapatalk

6. coops

coops Banned

hey Tim how long of a time period are we looking at for everything so far to be converted to single components ?
    is this a priority at the moment ?
    and i might as well ask when is the next update due ?

7. 88mphTim

Don't know. Testing is ongoing. Not long though, I assume.
    Yes.
    It was due last week, failed internal testing.

8. 1959nikos

1959nikos Registered

I sure Im happy Im not your employee, most arrogant post by a while, bravo mister!!

9. Empty Box

Empty Box Registered

This thread is quite hilarious.

Toss me into the camp of waiting for an update. Final update? No, that would be stupid as can be. But at this stage, I don't care what the version number is or what ISI wants to tell us, it's not even close to a stage where I would spend the mass of my sim racing time with rF2, even if I did like it that much.

I could say a lot more on that topic, but that would just make Tim and several of the other guys go crazy, so I wont. It's nothing that hasn't already been expressed anyways. Beta, Gold and In Development are all just words and nothing more in this world. It either sucks or it doesn't. Sometimes rF2 sucks, sometimes it doesn't. Pick whatever words you would like to justify the suck, it's still suck when it is.

Sort of reminds me of Red Orchestra 2. Brilliant game, except it was broken on launch (performance wise, that case). Despite having awesomeness (one of the best FPSes on the market easily) and being fixed now, there is right now probably 400 people playing it because of how it was on launch. The game shouldn't have ever released as it was - sort of like rF2 no longer being "beta" if it is only a name. On that note, why not just continue to call it beta, or down the road come out with rF2 Evolution I, Evolution II and whatever as major features are added? Similar to iRacing 2.0 (which was a fail due to undelivered features, not because the idea of a "relaunch" is a bad one) Plus, it beats a numeric soup of builds.

IDK. rF2 lacks a lot to make it a main sim... it'll be fixed, but by then who knows where iRacing, AC, pCars and whatever else hits between now and then. Enjoy the ride!

10. coops

coops Banned

tyvm for the quick reply

11. Radar

Radar Registered

ISI developers may not have been drinking coffee but I was.. Been some interesting posts.. Now can we all move from having coffee together to having a beer or 4 ?

12. RustyM

RustyM Registered

for me the lowly rfactor addict...... one word: spray
    that is all.
    i've had so much fun thru the early stages of rf2 great stuff! It keeps me sane: those nightly laps -> any car any track AI or online. I havent opened rF1 in like 3 months. That is a very good sign. cheers from Indy.

13. 88mphTim

Empty, because using a different name doesn't change anything but the name. :)

14. 88mphTim

Rusty, agree, that's a big one for me, too. :)

15. RCRacing

RCRacing Registered

I totally agree with you dude. And for people to say they cant install this or that. Rediculous. The directions cant be any clearer without get on someones machine and install it for them. Not that tough guys to install.

16. Empty Box

Empty Box Registered

iRacing is "in development" as well. pCars is "in development" too. Bit of extremes for sure, but the point remains.

Where do you draw the line? Alpha is "in development", beta is "in development", post release support when it is still coming is "in development". All three of those are distinctly different yet here is rF2... "in development".

Least beta can be used as a fall back. Technically, rF2 is now at the same stage as iRacing according to "in development". :p

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 27, 2013
  17. Nand Gate

Nand Gate Banned

I am not going to use public transport or roads until they are finished.

They need to understand that from a customers point of view.

18. Paddler

Paddler Registered

To me this sim is the best there is. Even in this state of the project. Just amazing physics! Just cure the G27 issues please. Thanks for a great program!!!

19. Jan Cato Larsen

Jan Cato Larsen Registered

I think I see the main reason for this thread now. Mindboggle Tim long enough for him to, in a fatigued state of mind, answer questions straight out without any thiswas and forthso. coops, you could have asked so much more when you had the chance :D

When that is said, I must add that rF2, for me, as for many others, is the best feeling true race sim out there. I do understand that it is not for others, but it is a matter of taste aswell. Cheers ISI, and thank you Tim for being active around here. Very good. Now, come may, sit back and enjoy the parade in Manchester, when the silverware is back in the right hands again :)

20. Jux

Jux Registered

Uuhh, poor Tim, taking all the heat.

Yes, I am talking about the day when it is released for mass market, when you start marketing and selling it in shops. When it happens, I expect I don't have to go to any web site, to look for torrent downloads. As a user, I don't want to see errors (error messages) when I install something. It should just work. At least for content released by ISI.

What I think about the current state:
    - the game is not ready for third party mods, I simply don't install them before the core game is "ready" because they might not be compatible with the next update for the core game. Right now there is no such guarantee, right?
    - the scope of the software has gone out of control. "It is done, when it's done" is a piss poor release schedule and that is why you are so much over-time of what you said before. We bought the beta with 18 month subscription for online services. 12 months would have been the mass market release then.

So the initial 6 month beta has extended to 14 months now and there is no end in sight.

I believe you, when you say the developers are working their ass off, but when the progress still seem slow, it is poor management. People are working on things they should not.

It is too late for now, but you should have a better release plan, the content should have been divided to packages and released them after the public release with bigger patches like so:
    - First release: polished core game + GT cars contet (clio, megane, corvette, etc + some tracks)
    - open wheel content (adding formula racing rules, cars and tracks)
    - oval racing content (nascar rules, cars and tracks)
    - V8 supercars, dirt racing, etc ...

Currently the first release step is too big and takes too much time.