Gave up beta. Waiting for the final release.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Jux, Mar 26, 2013.

1. Jux

Jux Registered

I don't follow the beta updates anymore for some months now. It started when I failed to install a new car mod, because I had older version some other mod, track I think. Now I am several game updates and mod releases behind and I just don't want to go through all the "installing and updating in right order or it fails" again.

My next update is going to be the released (gold?) edition. If it takes more than half a year, I am disappointed.

2. K Szczech

K Szczech Registered

It's actually simple:

1. Download latest version and install it (no need to update)
    2. Download all ISI content and put it in packages folder
    3. Launch Mod Manager and install those mods that are shown as possible to install. Once you install these, more will be displayed as possible to install.

#3 is a no-brainer actually - install whatever you can at the moment and you will end up with everything installed.

As for community mods, I only have selected few and only those that do not require installing other mods.

It's your choice of course, but I don't see why you even have trouble. Unless you're trying to install community mods before installing official content.

3. pay2021

pay2021 Registered

I actually think that you gave up for physics or graphics, sort of that, but fot install/uninstall mods...

As K Szczech says first install ISI mods then the others, use +crtl to select multiple mods, you cant miss.

4. Jize

Jize Registered

how could one give up for physics?! graphics ok, but physics? come on ^^
    rf2 physics are one of the best out there with iracing

5. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

Next build & updates should be a good one,with some updated old content too, think this will be a good step

6. ucfquattroguy

ucfquattroguy Registered

Also...the "final" release won't be for a LONG time. Think back to how long rF1 took to be available on CD/DVD.... Tim said in another post that this will be in constant evolution as more enhancements are brought to the table.

7. pay2021

pay2021 Registered

Was an example, but, maybe someone not like the physics or graphics, personally i love it.

You cant compare rf2 physics with iracing, come on.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 26, 2013
  8. Tony

Tony Registered

Jux is talking about the "mod" feature of the sim, he never mentioned physics or graphics - so that's just putting words into his mouth that he didn't say

Personally I agree with him about the mods - they're an uneccessary layer of bureaucracy.. I'm only a bear with a small brain but rF1 seemed to work ok without it.. :eek:

At the very least it should be improved to allow you online as long as you have the track that's currently being run - & not having to also have the 5 other tracks you don't want anyway..

9. Jux

Jux Registered

Thanks for the info. It seems simple, but not intuitive if you don't follow all the rF2 development constantly.

I will wait till I can do all the updating and mod installing inside the game UI. I don't want to search web, what, from where, in what order and how I should do the installing. I want one button: "update" to update the game (downloading and installing) and I want to see list of available mods that I can install or uninstall. I don't want to mess around with prerequisites. These must be handled automatically.

The cluster-fu*k with mods was the most annoying thing with rF1. I think the polished mod management functionality is the backbone of mod-friendly software. Until it is not done, I have no love for rF2.

10. Nand Gate

Nand Gate Banned

Lol it is hard for it to be ANY easier......these "mods" and locations are mostly being released by random people, with no connection to ISI whatsoever - they don't update ISI when a track is finished or tell them where it is. When you start looking at it from that perspective its not so bad at all.

11. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

On next build I'm doing a clean install of build & only installing official ISI tracks&cars +feels3+top gear test track only

Not even going to try any new 3rd party mods unless feedback is very very good

Awaiting MAK classic car mod too

12. Nand Gate

Nand Gate Banned

Words to live by.

I currently have 15 cars and 76 tracks installed. Just counted.

13. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

There is no such thing as gold with this title. It is a constant development. Features and content will be added for years, 'final' will be when we give up on it, not when you should start using it. rF1 did the same, it was developed for 3 years after release, but to a lesser extent than rF2 will be.

I am not sure what is so difficult. The current build is 156, download the full installer, install it. Then you're up-to-date.

14. feels3

feels3 Member Staff Member

Tim, I think that for lot of people, GOLD (or whatever you call it), means bugs free and fully working sim, not necessary fully of content and features :)

15. Nachaso

Nachaso Registered

By "Gold" people means "Ready for the masses". First "official realease" if you want to...

16. 88mphTim

Yes, but rF1 didn't reach that until late 2007, early 2008 in terms of being ready for DVD. None of you thought it was ready for the public at any point before that? :)

17. crz

crz Registered

There actually is an update button in the rf2 launcher and it does exactly that - it downloads and installs the latest available build.

For the in game listing of all available mods I am pretty sure it is not going to happen. While it sure is technically possible to list mods that ISI is aware of, what is going to happen with mods that ISI is not aware of like Nand Gate said? Also I am sure ISI doesn't want to be accused of advertising a mod and make it accesible in game that includes copyright protected material from let's say Formula 1.

18. MJP

MJP Registered

Eh? I recall a multiplayer test demo (in fact wasn't there 2 of them?) and a 'official release' on 31st Aug 2005 (v1.0.2.0). Of course over time there were version updates and added content and a DVD release.

19. 88mphTim

And rF2 passed v1.0 during the beta, and had an official release January, 2012. rF1 wasn't "gold" until it went onto DVD - that is the point. And that happened in Nov, 2007. :)

20. Muxi-Mux

Muxi-Mux Registered

Evil tongues claim that at ISIĀ“s speed of development it's quite clear the support will go on for years... :p