Marussia DRS implementaion incorrect

Discussion in 'Technical Archives' started by 64r, Mar 22, 2013.

1. 64r

64r Registered

The current implemetation of DRS means that DRS is cancelled if the throttle is lifted. This should not be the case. The DRS should only be cancelled if the DRS button is pressed or the brake pedal is applied.

Please let me know if you requir more details.

2. Lazza

Lazza Registered

I believe this is actually accurate. Bear in mind this is a collaboration with Marussia, and rF2 allows full configuration, so it's very likely the case.

3. K Szczech

K Szczech Registered

It's been said somewhere else that this is correct and that some teams also not allow enabling DRS when throttle is not at 100%. Makes sense, actually :)

4. Thomas

Thomas Registered

yeah with this year rules it makes sence. (u can only use drs zones for activating drs, even in qualy and practise) But in 2012 the drivers were applying the drs on half throttle when exiting a fast corner, cause they were allowed to use it everywhere.

SO, imho its really stupid to not allow drs when throttle is not at 100%. That would have been a big disadvantage for the marussia team last year. Except the car has that small amount of downforce, that it just was not possible to open it that early on corner exit.

5. Diablo

Diablo Registered

I might be wrong here, but I seriously doubt a driver that is not at full throttle would activate the DRS on corner exit, since it would take away downforce and thus traction from the rear. Lack of traction is the reason for not applying full throttle in the first place, so in my eyes it makes perfect sense to not allow DRS if the throttle isn´t opened to 100%. There is also the problem of reestablishing the downforce after deactivating the DRS, which doesn´t happen instantly, it takes some time for the air flow to get sorted, so disabling DRS the instant the driver eases off the throttle pedal can help making that happen sooner.

Cheers,
    Marcus

6. Thomas

Thomas Registered

yeah, probably you are right. I changed my mind after thinking a bit of what u wrote. Anyway, u are definitly right about the problem of reestablishing the downforce after deactivating the DRS.