A few things about RFactor 2 and the coming update (+ future updates/advancements)

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Spinelli, Mar 15, 2013.

1. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

A few thoughts about RFactor 2 and the coming update (+ future updates/advancements)

First off, please don't turn this into a graphics vs physics thread, we already have that, or an RFactor vs "enter game here" thread, etc.

Ok, so......

I really, really, really hope that when the old content gets updated (supposedly very, very soon) that its more than just graphics updates, after all, if the gameplay doesnt change, then after a few hours, or a few days you just end up getting used to the graphics and you are back at square 1. I hope ISI keep on pushing physics and overall game engine updates ala iracing (although this could be a problem for mods/modders as the core game's software would always be changing, even if it is changing for the better).

New content (marussia, tracks etc) are always nice too, OBVIOUSLY, but I hope this coming update, which i heard is a pretty big obe, really brings more to the actual software engine itself like:

- overall physics engine, including tyre model, aero model, motor, driveline, clutch, suspension, individual chassis components, different characteristics for different materials and metals, different heat characteristics for different parts of the car, different rigidity values of different metals/materials, damage physics of components, driveline, clutch, motor, suspension, body panels, how changing or removing different parts affects cooling, aero, weight distribution, stiffness of components/materials, etc etc etc.

- sound engine (i could write a whole thread just on this)

- aids like traction control, we need the TC physics/system to be modeled more complex, so that it is more of a super complex tool to make the car faster (like in F1, motogp etc), rather than a simplified safety feature to help you not crash, which is what I feel the current RFactor aids models are. You should be able to adjust how far into rear wheel longitudinal slip you are allowed to go into before the TC cuts in, also, when it does cut in how hard does it cut in, does it slowly back off after the first initial cut in etc etc. There are soooo many characteristics of just traction control systems, they are EXTREMELY conplex.

Also there should be different TC systems, some car's should have ignition cut, some timing cut, some cylinder cut, etc. but that stuff i don't think is even modeled in the motor physics themselves, let alone connecting that to the TC system.

- Then there are electronic adjustable diffs, different types of more conventional diffs, etc.

- Tyres should be a contactable part, rather than the "contact area" of the car just being an invisible rectangle according to the physics.

I could keep on going and going about physics.

- Oh, and the car info in the spinner should reflect the car's physics, for example, many times you change a part if the car, and according to the specs, the weight, the power, etc, doesn't change, because the car specs are just going off of what someone wrote in a text file rather than being directly connected to the car itself, which is pretty sad I'm not gonna lie.

- This could be a cool future option. Maybe having a slider for the FFB in the menu. One side of the slider would be feeling more of the car, using the FFB to feel things that you don't normally feel in the wheel itself in real life, feeling things that, in real life, are only felt through the seat of your pants, through your feet and around you in the chassis etc. transmitted through to the FFB (this style is more what I feel RFactor 2 is at now, and is by far my preference), BUT on the other end of the slider have more of a true as exact to life ffb as you can get, so that anyone playing regardless of experience, will right away have a very realistic and relatable steering feel, some people prefer this style as it seems to some to feel more direct, clean and just real, because you are going more for a true simulation of a steering wheel, rather than using the ffb to try to make up for all the things we feel in real life that does not come from the wheel. I feel this second "style" of ffb is more of a Netkar Pro/Assetto Corsa sort of style, not my preference, but MANY people like it.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2013
  2. martymoose

martymoose Registered

Dont take this the wrong way but I dont see the point of pre analysing what may or may not be in the next update, from the sound of it its pretty much ready to go so maybe just wait til you try it and then see what happens rather then having a hypothetical analysis of what may be. We know there is much to do in physics, graphics, old content updates plus new updates prior to going gold so this is just getting us either there or closer.

ISI do know what they are doing even though some may not thinks so, sure graphics may not be as flashy as some other titles but they look pretty nice to me. Dont expect much more out of the graphics other then adding things not yet implemented and fine tuning the overall balance and some optimizations. This is pretty much the same as where the physics will be heading and people who have used ISI sims will know what to expect with a steady evolution of all aspects. This may not be what everyone wants but there are plenty of options around and for me RF2 is still the best overall sim package so I am happy with where its heading.

3. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

Rf2 is my favorite too, just pointing put some areas that would be great to further pursue, especially things that affect the sim aspect of the game, after all it is a sim, and that's what many, if not most of us are here for, the technical simulation part. This isn't like some other games/"sims" where as long as the physics are decent enough, yet controllable and fun, then you can call it a day.

I don't believe, that the physics are more or less done and it's just small updates and fixes here and there, Tim has said that RFactor 2 is an ongoing complex, ambitious, and long term project.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2013
  4. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

We've already said this all along.

5. ccjcc81

ccjcc81 Registered

I agree with most of what's in this thread. Honestly some of it went over my head because it's way to technical for me. However, the thread title, in my opinion, was misleading because it doesn't say "wishlist" anywhere in it. I honestly thought this was an announcement from ISI about the upcoming release and got way too excited.

6. TIG_green

TIG_green Registered

I think quite a lot of optimization is needed.

As for the points Spinelli had, I think most of your ideas are too hardcore even for a sim. Maybe better suitet for a pro version of rf2.

This I agree though:

"- overall physics engine, including tyre model, aero model, motor, driveline, clutch, suspension, individual chassis components, different characteristics for different materials and metals, different heat characteristics for different parts of the car, different rigidity values of different metals/materials, damage physics of components, driveline, clutch, motor, suspension, body panels, how changing or removing different parts affects cooling, aero, weight distribution, stiffness of components/materials, etc etc etc."

7. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

Awesome :)

8. goonzo

goonzo Registered

Couldn't agree more. I was confused when starting to read. Please change the title.

9. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

Just changed the title. Now I get a big black bold title on top of my first post with the updated thread title change, but the main title that forms the actual link to the thread doesnt get changed, it also did this with another thread title change I attempted a month or 2 back, seems like a bug.

10. Guy Moulton

Guy Moulton Registered

There's a few things that need to be changed but I hope too much isn't. The state that rF2 is in right now is the best sim there is- i don't want that ruined by changing everything. The tires need to be finished and the clutch and starter need to be made realistic and ground effect and aero downforce need to be adddressed. Better damage would be nice so that when you flip a car and crash it just flies apart- like a real car. But given the constraints of a modern PC, some of this just will not happen.

So let's see what this update has in store for us.

11. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

For me rf2 seems to be in a mess right now, so really awaiting old content updates -seems these will not take to long now (hopefully) then maybe in a couple of builds time rf2 we seem fairly bug free solid piece of software & a top sim

12. ritzcher

ritzcher Registered

Forgive, but I've lost, when you leave this great update?
    regards
    ritzcher

13. 1959nikos

1959nikos Registered

14. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

Lol damn, was excited there