[REL] Longford 1967 v1.0 [2018-08-15]

Discussion in 'Locations' started by woochoo, Mar 15, 2013.

1. Shamrock

Shamrock Registered

I am just gonna go ahead and say it. This track is as good as ISI makes. Bravo!

2. woochoo

woochoo Registered

Sorry Durge, I'm wanting to keep that stuff as it was back in the day. I can saturate the yellow a touch more, but otherwise you'll have to count the power poles on the left :p

Hi Bryan, thanks so much for giving it a good run :)
    The bumps aren't meant to be for the lines. I can certainly agree that they're way too much for that. They're actually meant to be a contrast with the other parts of the road where the cars drive. The thinking is that the "lanes" will be a little smoother from being flattened by public traffic, and perhaps some of that surface gets squished towards the inside as well. You should find it happening on road sections that don't have lines as well. But I was wondering if it was too much anyway.

I'm interested to hear your thoughts, and other people's thoughts about the central roughness with this explanation in mind. The lighter surface was laid sometime after the '66 race so that should perhaps be a little smoother anyway. And from what I've read, the govt invested heavily in those particular roads (for this particular purpose) during that period, with some (here unreferenced) claims that they were some of the best roads in Tasmania at the time.

3. Ryno917

Ryno917 Registered

Honestly, I barely noticed it and it surely didn't cause any loss of control on my end in the historic F2s :)

4. PaulG

PaulG Registered

Seems like a great track. Thanks!

Should have made a video of my first lap. LOL. It was horrible. I think I blew every 90 degree turn on the track (BT 20). I don't know if I would have killed myself in real life, but I certainly would have killed a bunch of spectators.

5. kiko0602

kiko0602 Registered

hi woochoo
    i was wondering if someone is going to write something about bumps on straights.i dont know how it should be in real life back then. but i think,my opinion,bumps are little to much i must put ffb filtering really on high to drive it normal over there and not to fight the wheel that much.all track is great but like i sad before bumps on the straights..hmm
    thx again

6. rhamm

rhamm Registered

Is it just me or does sound echo off the barbed wire fence like it's a solid wall? If so is there any way to tell the game engine the wall is not so solid for sound purposes?

As for the bumpy roads I like them. It makes the game more realistic.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 22, 2013
  7. Guimengo

Guimengo Guest

I never complained about the bumps but I definitely understand the comments, and it wouldn't be a problem (for me) if they were toned down just a bit.

8. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Registered

I think it's equipment-specific. I am using Fanatec and with zero filtering I thought the surface was surprisingly smooth (for a rural, public road)!

How does it compare for you with 1966 Spa?

9. Ryno917

Ryno917 Registered

I find Spa to be much bumpier than Longford. Much bumpier. Longford is almost like glass in comparison.

10. Max Angelo

Max Angelo Registered

11. woochoo

woochoo Registered

Firstly, yes, the Reverb is pretty much everywhere. I remember reading it was set by the corridors, which would end at the fence, but as you imply, the fence should be sending back squat-all reflections. Before b240 i did try manually editing the reverb in the aiw editor but it didn't seem to have any effect. I'll have another look before i release the v0.91.

AND THE BUMPS!!
    Well, some say yes, some say no... For reference I'm on a G25, and sure it does shake it up a bit down the middle of the road, but not so much as on the grass at high speed. I also run in-game FFB multipliers of 1.5 (yeah, I know, clipping, but I can deal with it for a heavier feel). I'll do some comparisons with the ISI tracks (particularly Belgium and Monte-Carlo) in a few different cars. I did do that to a limited extent before release and thought it was ok. I'll try again and if it's obviously worse at Longford I'll tone it down. If it's similar or less I might leave it, but I'll see if I can balance that with feeback I get from you gents (and possibly ladies?) Thanks for the input so far :)

Also, it might be worth mentioning that I tried to estimate an appropriate amount of bumpieness from driving down the Midlands Highway at 110kph (that's the big (narrow) highway between Hobart and Launceston, which goes fairly near by Longford, and immediately next to Symmons Plains (shout-out to WHAT21A, looking good ;) ). So I tried to imagine some of that bumpiness at 2x - 2.5x speed. From a slight deviation in a power-steering, moderately modern family-sized car, to my imagination of a tiny tube with the driver's hands more or less holding on to the front wheels. The keyword here is "imagine", so there's gotta be some error in there somewhere!
    More feedback on the issue is welcome :)

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 23, 2013
  12. tjc

tjc Registered

+1 :)

13. Fergy

Fergy Registered

Great job again with this track. We're noticing on our servers that there's no red arrows to indicate your pit box. Works offline.

Any help appreciated,
    Fergy

14. Flatspotter

Flatspotter Registered

I can't find my pit box offline. No arrows or red rectangle. I tried to serve a black flag for speeding in the pits, and couldn't. I ended up getting disqualified. This was in practice, by the way.

15. Hedlund_90

Hedlund_90 Registered

We have also noticed that cars share grid position/floating into each other at the start, so cars flying all over the place :p Don't know if it's already mention, but I guess so because I've seen it in every race I've done, so far. So I better mention it once more.

16. woochoo

woochoo Registered

Hmm, the pit boxes, that's bad news.
    Just to be sure, pit box 14,15,16 are along the narrow strip of road between the paddock exit and the pit building. Just before it gets wider in front of the pit building. I expect you'd have seen them though, if that was the issue.
    I don't know what the problem is, but it's now on the list. Same with the grid problem.

17. kiko0602

kiko0602 Registered

i think you are right im using g25 so maybe this is my answer :) spa is bumpy to yea i know.i will test to see difference in those two

18. Bryan Birtwell

Bryan Birtwell Registered

It more than likely is "equipment specific"... but only to a point.

I'm a G-25 user. I had a really "nice" Fanatec wheel. It had so much built in dampening that I didn't feel half the stuff I felt with the G-25. Well the Fanatec died (toy quality). Quiet and too many buttons. LOL! Long live the G-25!

Anyways... The point I was making about the bumps is that they are continuous. I'm not talking about just hitting big bumps here and there on the road, but a series of bumps that are the dotted white lines.

Trying to run side by side down the straights is virtually impossible in the F3s. Or it may be what looks like small "divots" immediately after each "dot" of the dotted lines. The type of thing they do for people crossing the line unintentionally... It wakes them up... hopefully. If that's what they are, one has to ask oneself; did they do that in the 1960s?? I don't know about "down under" but they didn't in the US.

By the by... anyone else having problems at the start of the race where cars start piling up on each other at the starting line???

Thanks,

Bryan

19. woochoo

woochoo Registered

Hi Bryan
    Yes, there are bumps down the middle of the road but they're not at all related to the white lines. Many/most vertices along the three central vertex lines have a +/-1cm vertical variation built in, and the road "panels" are roughly 1.5m long. So there is a maximum change of 2cm over 1.5m, and potentially 4cm over 3m. Since the other side of the car could potentially be traveling over an inverse of that gradient it can probably produce a bit of a rough ride. When written like this I am tempted to ease it a bit here and there.
    Here are some 3dsmax screens of what you are driving on. Notice the white lines are in the texture.
    View attachment 9466 View attachment 9467 View attachment 9468
    There are no tdf entries for these particular white lines. They are just road entries. They are the road material. Also, I've not made any effort to cut polys around the lines (waaaay too much work) or do anything fancy like that. The bumps are in the same area as the lines, but they're not related. They're the same as the roads that don't have lines.

Yes, this has been noted. My intention is to use a non-historic 2-2-2-2... grid instead, which should help the AI form up after a warmup lap as well.

20. Flatspotter

Flatspotter Registered

Where are the rest of the pit boxes (besides 14, 15 and 16)? Maybe I'm just not looking in the right place.