G27 losing its centering position (hardware fix)

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by gorgias1976, Mar 11, 2013.

1. Magzire

Magzire Registered

This happened to me before around 2 years ago. I just tighten the screw and was perfect ever since and i came close to throwing it out :)

2. Hedlund_90

Hedlund_90 Registered

Now everything is put back together. I tightened the screw and added a tiny bit of glue to the plastic sensor wheel. Soon I'll plug the USB in and can only hope that I haven't destroyed anything lol :)

3. Navigator

Navigator Registered

It won't make any difference mate; it's just an optical sensor, counting holes (from left to right, hence the wheel moving on itself when starting up the system) and centers itself from that: 231 holes--> hole 116 from max left is the middle one. :)
    You saw it a bit off; maybe it moved......didn't glue it yet at that point, right?

4. Hedlund_90

Hedlund_90 Registered

It works really good now, so no problems :) Thanks!

5. rogue22

rogue22 Registered

I too have the exact same problem starting with the same update as well. I thought I was the only one having this weird problem.

My Wheel will be slightly to the left, funny part is it happens as soon as I get in the car before even leaving my stall. If I go back to the control screen its fine and in line again.

Only rfactor 2 does this. Works fine in GTR 2, Iracing, Arca, and Dirt.

I haven't tried deleting my controller files so I'll give that a shot.

6. Timpie Claessens

Timpie Claessens Registered

Ye I tried everything and its still the same.
    In rF2 the wheel is angled a bit to the side and I have to use the center button in the control screen to go straight.

7. rogue22

rogue22 Registered

Nothing worked for me either. I realize the G27 has the potential to be off center, like most Logitech wheels, but being game specific makes me wonder.

I wouldn't have this issue but both my fanatec wheels and clubsport pedals failed on me so I gave up on them. Perhaps I should have given the Thrust master a go around.

I've searched but found no one else having this issue except you.

8. wgeuze

wgeuze Registered

My brother has the same issue, even with brand new optical encoder, we're still looking for a solution :(

9. Navigator

Navigator Registered

Are both motors working? Use a voltmeter if you're not sure.
    It's the only thing that I can think of without going into chipthings ;)

10. wgeuze

wgeuze Registered

That's the weird part, it's hard to find out, but the wheel does move, so at least one is working. It's frustrating, you replace a part hoping that will fix the calibration issue, now it won't even calibrate at all anymore...

11. parmageddon

parmageddon Registered

Hi,

I know this post is old, but wanted to ask a couple questions here first to see if anyone can help.

First of all, thankyou for this thread, My g27 starting losing allignment worse and worse during races, I searched online and found this and took a huge sigh of relief.

I followed the steps pretty meticulously (including the epoxy glue) but have an issue now that i've reassembled and wonder if any of you know what could be causing it?:-

:- The wheel will attempt to calibrate when I plug it in now but appears to almost give up, it's calibration rotates all the way to the right until it cant go any further, then when going back to the left, it doesnt go all the way. it sorta gives up somewhere between center and left lock. It does this about 3 times each with the same conclusion then doesnt try again. When I try in game, the steering has no effect on the game im playing at all and there is no feedback. Im not sure if that is simply a fail-safe because it failed to calibrate successfully or I've royally screwed it up!

Also, perhaps a side-note but i'll mention anyway, I noticed the shift lights are constantly on full now when calibrating and the little green light on the shifter is constantly flashing on and off at me now until I unplug.

Has anyone experienced this before and perhaps know whats going on? Maybe I wired something up wrong when I reassembled? thats what im gonna try now and i'l update if anything changes, In the mean time, Ireally appreciate any help on the matter.

cheers guys & gals

Mart

12. Moe Faster

Moe Faster Registered

My G25 just gave it up, the calibration went south & wasn't coming back. Sooo, I did what any inquisitive mind was meant to do, I took the blooming thing apart.

And, like, Wow, mon. lots of broken plastic rattling around in there, (that thing would HAMMER itself on calibrations) all mounting holes for the motors & frame were broken out or severely cracked, the pinion gear & its rack were trashed. the pinion gear is prolly replaceable, but not so the rack, there may be some rework there but it looks bad. and with all that, I suspect that optical wheel will have issues to boot.

anyway, check that gear, may be you can clean it up with a finger nail file & some epoxy, besides if you got cats, you know there's a fur ball in there.

13. kaptainkremmen

kaptainkremmen Registered

I think you may find that the 'Rack' gear/slider thingy wasn't centred when you reassembled.

14. Hectari

Hectari Registered

Yeah exactly this. I had the same problem after I had taken my wheel apart to glue my optical encoder together. The slider wasn't in quite the right position to give even lock to lock movement and it wouldn't calibrate in the same way as described. Opened it up again, got it spot on and voila all good again.

15. F2kSel

F2kSel Registered

Cracked and broken mounting holes was my problem a few months back, luckily I had some bolts the right length so I drilled right though both the plastic and metal mounts and put a small spacer of wood in the middle so it had something solid to tighten to.
    The only thing is you have to be careful not to drill through the gears or it's wrecked.

16. smbrm

smbrm Registered

If wheel appears not to be calibrating completely, you may wish to check your USB connections? I have noticed that mine, particularly USB extension cord connectors, can get misaligned sometimes so not properly contacting. Replugging the USB seems to resolve the issue.

17. PearceYaussy

PearceYaussy Registered

I was wondering if y'all were still around! Had some good races back in the ISI historic server days. Y'all were like the only ones that could keep up haha.

Anyway, I had the same problem (mine got to the point where when you plug it in, it would go all the way left, all the way right, and then stop with all the LEDs on) and was able to fix it by tightening the screws. Tim, I have never had that problem, but it might have something to do with rF2 game settings always overriding global device settings, because most games don't do that.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 20, 2015
  18. Hectari

Hectari Registered

Can't forget this classic SR4L EVE F1 league race at Spa:

[​IMG]
    Onboard with Rik and you ahead... overhead... then assumed dead! I remember you didn't stay for race 2 and didn't come back, a shame because Rik needed the challenge. They're doing an F2 Historic league over at SR4L now and I think Rik is back racing, you should go and get in the mix.

19. PearceYaussy

PearceYaussy Registered

:D That crash pissed me off so bad I went crazy and ended up in a psych ward. Hahaha not really, but I did have some personal issues, but I'm back now I guess. I see the next race is Longford. Think I'll try it out.

20. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

Almost caught it then snaparama

lol