I'm almost afraid to ask but what kind of tires are on Megane?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Kknorpp001, Mar 8, 2013.

1. Kknorpp001

Kknorpp001 Banned

Reason for asking is I am almost positive the tire skidding and scrubbing sounds have changed at least since the first version because IIRC the tire sounds is what turned me off of the Megane, like they do for many of the other ISI cars such as Vette, Clio and 370Z b/c they sound like sandpaper.

But I like the Megane tire sounds now. I don't love them but I don't have to love them. Tire sounds are very important to me and they can detract from, be neutral or add to immersion. In fact, on the negative side they can totally kill a mod for me for two reasons. 1) absolutely kills immersion and 2) pisses me off b/c it just seems stupid to have ****ty sounds b/c it costs nothing to have decent tire sounds. It's almost like rf2 user interface where it's like ISI put a lot of effort into f_ing it up.

Anyway, I digress and I also admit that I am very bias toward skidding and scrubbing sounds that involve some type of chirping and/or screeching, etc. other than just scraping sandpaper. And, yes, I know racing slicks sound different and all that and I don't care and at least I am admitting that.

Oh yeah, and I also forgot on the extreme plus side good scrubbing and skidding sounds make me perceive better physics and force feedback. For example, since changing tire sounds (original tire sounds are absolutely god awful) of Historix rf1 I literally am amazed by how much this impacts the feeling of the car.

I also performed a negative test for this by putting ****ty sounds in Game Stock Car Mini, which IMO is one of the best mods ever and I don't even like Mini's. With the ****ty sounds, the mod goes from an A+ to a B- at best. But if I apply the Mini tire sounds to a B- mods, many of them become grade B+ or A- mods just because tire sounds.

So back to my original questions. What type of tires does the real life Megane have? If street tires then fine I guess I have nothing to argue. If racing slicks then (and this is what I am afraid to ask b/c ISI may change sounds back) why do tire sounds have the chirps and screeches that I love if racing slicks don't do this. And if racing slick DO do this then damnit please stop with the f_ing sandpaper already ISI.

Vette? A+ car but B-/C+ b/c stupid tire sounds. Same goes for 370Z and Clio. For the love of God, ISI please stop using these crappy sounds. And, although I understand ISI won't sink or swim based on rf2, ISI is shooting themselves in the foot again with public adoption of this sim. There are some things ISI should just STOP doing in order for people to sign on to rf2.

Edit: Almost forgot to mention that rf2 is the only sim or racing game I have played with these sandpaper sounds. Doesn't surprise me. I think the only thing I have ever heard that is worse is some of the ports of GTL cars with finger nails on chalkboard for tire sounds. Shrieking migraine that sound is.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 8, 2013
  2. TIG_green

TIG_green Registered

Tire sounds of rf2 does not bother me.

Can you give an example of good tire sounds in your opinion... video or an audio file...

3. lordpantsington

lordpantsington Registered

Your question is lost in the delivery. I can snip down your post to one line and get your question across.

4. Bill Paradise

Bill Paradise Registered

Genuine simulated rubber.

Sorry, I could not resist.

5. spider19462000

spider19462000 Registered

Round ones:D

6. Bart S

Bart S Member

(Black) round ones is more accurate

7. spider19462000

spider19462000 Registered

Fair enough

8. BlaringFiddle5

BlaringFiddle5 Registered

what is the deal with tire sounds in most sims? They aren't very good .... iRacing - rFactor2 .... They should get that dood from police academy to record some rubber squealing sounds for them :)

9. Pluginz

Pluginz Registered

Default GT Legends tire sounds were awesome!!

10. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

You're totally right kknorpp, it's sad that people's judgement of the handling and overall physics of a sim change based on their FFB settings and sounds like tyre sounds, when the physics themself don't get affected. Sadly it's like this for us.

Who knows how many amazing mods out there are underrated because of their FFB or their tyre sounds. Same with the great mods, who knows how many of them are being OVERrated due to the ffb and tyre sounds making the handling and overall physics SEEM much better than they really are.

Your Game Stock Car example is such a perfect example.

In GT Legends with the stock Capri (the more powerful blue and white one) but with custom engine sounds, which also changed the tyre sounds, I can do some very good and consistent laptimes at Magny Cours National track (the medium length version of the track that goes straight on where you would normally turn right for the super slow hairpin). Then I tried a different custom engine sound which used the stock tyre sounds, and now I am 3 or so tenths slower, and I'm also less consistent as I feel like I'm trying much, much harder to pull that laptime out, feel like i need to push much more, and am more on edge.

This was after only 1 day of practice, but still, the fact that I went backwards in ultimate laptime and in consistency due to just tyre sounds makes me sad for sim-racing lol. in real life you don't even hear tyre sounds in most race cars, unless maybe when you spin or lock up hard or something, yet in sims they not only MASSIVELY affect our feeling of grip/slip/what the car is doing, but also our overall judgement of the pure handling/tyre model/overall physics themselves (which obviously don't change from different tyre sounds to tyre sounds).

11. smithaz

smithaz Registered

Yep who cares what the tyre sounds sound like. I race online in the megane often and am usually one of the fastest, I cannot even think what the tyres sound like, I've never thought they sound crap though. Aslong as ISI keep the good feedback coming from tyre sounds then I don't care what they sound like, you may not hear it in real life but tyre sounds I think are a sim racers version of the seat of the pants feeling.

12. Domi

Domi Registered

I totally agree with Kknorpp001 and Spinelli.

13. KeiKei

KeiKei Registered

Yes we really need unrealistic tire sounds in simracing to make simulator more realistic as a whole because of the hugely increased seat of the pants feeling. That's just how it is I'm afraid. :) One very good example for me is when opponent sounds are too loud. I'm totally lost when fighting with someone if can't hear my tires properly. So I tune opponent sounds down to a level where it doesn't distract anymore. Call it cheating, call me cheater, I really couldn't care less! :) Fact is it makes simracing lot better and increases overall realism.

14. Pluginz

Pluginz Registered

Ok, Ive got a video of me going around a small sprint track in my old mk2 Golf from 2011. Im running Yokohama road legal track day tires and if you turn the volume up quite loud, you can just about hear my tires screeching around the track and also the final turn. They are very high pitched screeches!! To be honest they are quite hard to hear. Maybe I could of pushed a bit more but my suspension is crap lol :)

15. gorgias1976

gorgias1976 Registered

If I were you I'd quit that car, is not simulating properly, too high pitched tires sound and can hardly be heard. Too arcade. :p

16. KeiKei

KeiKei Registered

Yeah and windscreen reflections aren't clearly visible either. Totally unrealistic! :)

17. martymoose

martymoose Registered

Poor sounds and looks like its rendered in dx7 with crap textures and sounds, by the look of the video I can tell the physics and FFB are way out too. You really should try AC as its in dx11 and the greatest sim ever released, much better then your lame excuse for a simulation in that video.

18. KeiKei

KeiKei Registered

What is that ugly looking game anyway? Apparently beta version because road reflections aren't working, HDR seems too dark and washed out, there is no proper cockpit camera yet and it also stutters terribly!

19. Pluginz

Pluginz Registered

lol you guys ;)

20. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

Hahahahahahaha