New Computer trying to get install perfect

Discussion in 'Technical Archives' started by Chopslide, Mar 6, 2013.

1. Chopslide

Chopslide Registered

Hi sll I have picked up a new (to me) puter with a combo of a ssd and regular hd the ssd is 100 g and has the install of windows on it and not much else. I have a few questions about how to best set up RF2
    first should I install every part of rf2 on the ssd? this is my first go at 2 drives and not sure how they will interact.....
    I have had problems with getting all mods to work on my old machine( vista 32;_) and want to do a clean break and keep the install on the new machine from getting out of hand
    I have downloaded the full installler for the latest build and am thinking about re dloading all of the other content so it is fresh on the new machine although it would be much faster to use old drive and copy it from there
    I would love any input on getting this right out of the gate and appreciate all responses

the new baby
    w7 64
    I5 3.3
    560 ti
    8 g ram
    100g ssd
    280g storage
    lots of fans/cool case
    craigs list score.....

2. DocJones

DocJones Registered

No need to download packages (.rfmod / .rfcomp) again if you already have them.

I don't yet use a ssd myself, but installing rF2 on it will benefit loading times. Don't expect increased fps compared to installing it on the standart hdd.

If you install rF2 on the ssd you should consider creating a 2nd packages folder on your standart hdd where you put all the content packages. ISI content alone is 5 GB in packages already. Use the 'packages dir' in mod manager to point to that new folder. Make sure you keep the original packages folder within rF2 main folder or C:\users\your username\documents\rFactor2, depending on where you install rF2 as this is where vmods (using 'get mod') and other files will be stored in.

Install all ISI content to make sure you have all ISI tracks. After that, install 3rd party cars&tracks if you want/need them.

This is pretty good installation instructions, even though it's not yet updated to the new mod manager.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 6, 2013
  3. Chopslide

Chopslide Registered

thanks doc I like the input.... have been to that install guide and agree it is one of the better. from your advice my only gain from ssd will be load times? thanks to all other input on this topic

4. Chopslide

Chopslide Registered

not sure why I am such a dolt but already having problems finding packages file.... I didnt change any paths on install and cant find packages anywhere looked in my documents and in program files nowhere to be found View attachment 6580 wierd

5. Chopslide

Chopslide Registered

just redid install and now have packages folder where it should be strange must have screwed up initial install lol