Driving aids

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Bobs40, Feb 27, 2013.

1. pay2021

pay2021 Registered

Mostly i dont use any of driving aids but sometimes i try to match the aids used in a particulary class, like ABS or TC (ex f1 90s, 2007, old DTM).

2. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

Oh cool, is this in RFactor 1 as well? Are there lines that determine wether you have autoblip and autolift on or off, or is it either both or nothing?

Also, if the car's physics has semi-auto=1 but you also turn on autoclutch, are the lifting and blipping physics parameters going to be different (eg. Different length blip, different throttle position of blip, different length of lift, etc. etc?..........

3. smithaz

smithaz Registered

Is using auto lift or blip cheating(frowned upon), I use auto lift (and blip i think) because I use paddle shifters exclusively and without auto lift it made an annoying over-revving noise on every upshift.

4. wgeuze

wgeuze Registered

Well, in a clio, guess that would be a bit odd...

5. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

Depends, F1 cars have had auto blip and auto lift since Ferrari invented paddle shifters in i think 89???....

Lots of racecars use it, lots of race cars also only use 1 or another, not always both (this was a lot more common in the early to mid 2000s, now a days cars that have them usually have both, but not all the time). Some dont use any. You gotta just look and do the research.

The road version of the Mercedes CLK-GTR has paddle shifts, but you still have to lift on up shifts and I believe blip on downshifts. The skippy stick also has neither

6. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

So it is okay to have unrealistic arcade aids as long as they do not take away from the drive.

Say, I bet every man and his dog ever drove a open wheeler would have loved 3 large floating mirrors above their heads.

lopl

7. wgeuze

wgeuze Registered

Fair point!

As soon as my wheel is done, hud will be off too! :)

8. Denstjiro

Denstjiro Registered

I believe in rf1 you get a slight weight penalty for using these aids. Dont know about rf2.

9. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

Should get a penalty for using arcade virtual mirrors then.

They weigh more.

lopl

10. John.Persson

John.Persson Registered

I wished all cars should come with default settings for driving aids, if a car has this or that in a leauge, it should have it in the simcommunity to.

11. Neuro

Neuro Registered

It is there in rF1, yes. If semi=ON, then whether using auto clutch or not is the same on auto blip and lift, and no changes on up- or downshift times. I think there is no option to use just one, it always make both working, BUT you can define how much blip you want automatically. And you can design it to do 0 (possible values between 0.00 and 1.00 - 1.00 means 100% throttle on blipping).

12. Brettfan

Brettfan Registered

Now i am also driving the rFactor2 without driving aids,because i am very happy to have now a simulation for the PC which is not easier to drive with F2 and F1 cars than the race Kart in reality which i have driven 15 years ago.It is a fine challenge.And moreover in professional racing competitions like the Formula1 they had one year the traction control allowed and in another year not allowed.This means that the drivers in the principle have to be able to drive also without driving aids.Nowadays F1 drivers as they were teenagers normally have been driving a race Kart and so they already as teenagers had been learning to drive a race car without any driving aids.
    That was a very good education.Moreover there are enough Arcade race games on the market.

13. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

How about if the car has semi-auto=0? But you turn on auto clutch, where does RF get all of it's blipping and lifting physics, timings, parameters, etc. from? Does the sim automatically somehow generate them itself for everycar???

14. Neuro

Neuro Registered

The parameters are still there, whether you use it or not, it is defined in the HDV file. In the mentioned case, if semiauto=0 and you turn on auto clutch, then if auto blip and lift are also set to ON (in your PLR file), you will get the same effect like having semiauto=1. But if auto blip and/or lift are set to OFF, then you have to do them manually.

So, basically, there are 3 options:

- semiauto=1: in this case, whether using auto clutch or not, you will always have fixed shift times and auto blip/lift set to ON, even if you turn them off in the PLR file.

- semiauto=0 and not using auto clutch: you have to blip or lift on both up- and downshifting because when auto clutch is off, both auto blip and lift are also set to OFF

- semiauto=0 and using auto clutch: you can decide whether you want to use auto blip/lift by switching them ON or OFF in the PLR file

Shifting times are dependent only on settings of the HDV file. Semiauto and/or auto blip/lift/clutch does not affect them.

Well... a bit of a chaos... I hope it is clear. :D

15. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

Great thanks for that, is there a way that you can use shifting timings (for when u use automatic, or paddles, or sequentials), but you can disable shifting timings for when you use an h-gate shifter so that the gears change as soon as you put the shifter into or out of gear? Because when you use an h-shifter, the only timing should be your shifter when it goes out of gear, when it goes to neutral, and when it goes in gear, there should be no in-game shift timings for when you are using h-shift, only when you use automatic, or sequential (paddles or stick).

16. Neuro

Neuro Registered

Yes, you can do that with predefined setting in the upgrades.ini. Then you can select from them according to your needs.

17. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

Oh ya like the gp79 mod that's right, great thanks for all that