When will RFactor 2 be in RFactor 1 launch version like state?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Spinelli, Feb 24, 2013.

1. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

They have gotten rid of the word beta from the title, but obviously the game isn't even close to something you would call official release ready.

They also said that when they are nearing the time of official gold release (before they decided to drop the word "beta" from the title), that they would really start to advertise and market the game more, so we haven't hit that stage yet, so clearly they know it's not ready enough yet either.

So, when is RFactor 2 expected to sort of be in a semi-finished state, like the official release version of RFactor 1 was? The countdown for the free 12 months of unlimited online multiplayer access (for anyone that didnt buy the $85 unlimited lifetime version) starts in june of this year, so I am thinking by June 2014 the latest???

2. C3PO

C3PO Registered

I would totally guestimate and say towards end of the year. But there is a desire it seems for ISI to keep going with rF2, a bit like iRacing, and this is fantastic news. I would happily bung another subscription their way at the end of the year to help them keep going.

3. TiTaN

TiTaN Registered

I thought the 12 months of online multiplayer starts from the moment rFactor 2 goes gold. that's why they said a long time ago (6 months beta + 12 months online) (but since beta it's not over...). please somebody tell me I'm right..

4. MarcG

MarcG Registered

I love the way ISI/Kunos are both commiting to developing their respected titles for the coming years much like iRacing, thats great and something that smaller independent companies will kinda have to do as they simply cant crank out a v1.0 from the very start and have done with it. ISI though need to get to a stage with a v1.0 for (argument sake), its all well and good saying "its a continuing development" and all that but IMO they need a "released" state to get too and agree its nowhere near that yet.
    Kunos on the otherhand seem intent on releasing v1.0 in the Spring yet it wont have simple basic things like Pit Stops in it, that confuses me for a racing title not having that from the start! Of course every company is different and does everything different ways, but if I was a newcomer to RF2 right now I'd say out loud that "this is a beta, whens it gonna be ready?"

The other problem is getting it to that Ready state so modders can properly start work, currently I know teams are still holding off as each build is or could potentially change certain aspects which means they need to do extra work re-doing their previous work, so from that point of view again ISI need to get to a Ready state (v1.0...for example!!) so those mod teams can properly get on with it, as described elsewhere they're still in a Limbo state right now with RF2s modding, as the games going to get contunially updated they still need a starting point...which currently is not right now it seems.

5. kotakotakota

kotakotakota Registered

That's what they originally said. The 12 months of online multiplayer begins in June of this year I believe.

6. Golanv

Golanv Registered

Continuous development cant mean eternity project, it has to be "done" in some point and then you continue to improve it.
    When is this "Done", indeed it would be nice to get an educated guess. Closest thing to that is June atm.

7. thuGG

thuGG Registered

Yeah,right... It took them over a year to move from "unfinished, buggy rF2 beta" to "unfinished, buggy rF2 without beta and with minor improvements", and you expect them to release "rF2 Done" in 4 months? Keep dreaming.

8. Golanv

Golanv Registered

Yes mr.Positive.

9. thuGG

thuGG Registered

Why should I be positive after 13 months and seeing the progress?

10. Golanv

Golanv Registered

Because I say so.

11. rene-xmg

rene-xmg Registered

you are right! no serious racing is possible without pitstops..
    we will get nothing but a beta from kunos too
    they just dont call it so...

12. Golanv

Golanv Registered

Kunos will release a demo before release.
    "After the Technology Preview, we will release a proper demo with more features."
    I would say that, that would be their version of the open beta, unless they deside to have open beta like ISI with rF2.

13. Lazza

Lazza Registered

I wasn't around for the initial launch of rF1 (only came in at 1250 I think), but looking at the update logs previous to that I would have thought rF2 is already ahead...

14. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

I view that as more of a feature though (an important one obviously), rather than bugs and problems associated with a beta/unfinished peice of software.

I think I was around from 1.0 (got it dec 05), most of the updates (besides new cars and tracks) were I think smaller things that i dont think the average player would always notice, probably made a big difference to modders though.

For example, the general modding system (from a regular players point of view, not a modder's), sound engine, graphics engine, tyre model, powertrain/transmission/driveline model, not many changes, if at all from version 1.0. Some added lines and some other extra options in the ini file definetely helped polish things off, and probably small glitches and bugs here and there that many people might not notice, and probably big updates if you are a modder, but nothing too much different for the average player from 1.0 to 1.255 (all the great added cars and tracks were AWESOME though).

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 24, 2013
  15. David Wright 67

David Wright 67 Registered

There was/is a racing sim called Grand Prix Legends. Pretty serious racing and no pitstops :)

I would suggest 90% of sim-races do not have pitstops. Didn't Iracing launch without pitstops?

16. osella

osella Registered

Well in GPL there was no tyre wear either, with no tyre wear pitstops aren't very important to have.

You have a point that most of all sim races played, and I'm no different, are so quick that pit stops are not as important feature as they seem. Many players artificially increase importance of pitstops by setting x times higher tyre wear and/or fuel consumption which IMO sucks, I'd rather drive 30min race with no pitstop than 30min race with 2 pitstops because the car eats 200litres/100km and hard compound that last 3 laps.

Not sure why exactly, but no matter how much I love any car/track combo, driving long races just gets boring for me. Usually have most fun in first 20-40 minutes.

So I can imagine having great sim time with no pitstops, I think rF2 at the moment has far bigger issues, if rF2 had no pitstops and that was its biggest problem that would be sweet...

17. coops

coops Banned

realism = simulation

18. rene-xmg

rene-xmg Registered

when i am thinking their "vers. 1.0" will just be a beta my focus isn´t on that missing feature.
    if you look at the AC forum there are lots of issues. and they gave us just one car and one track which they have tested over weeks before release.
    with the full version there will be also a lot of things to be fixed. i just hope that clip isn´t significant lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sLw_NOTmEVw&feature=player_embedded

about rf2 -
    in my opinion it is near at that point where they can set the "vers.1.0 milestone"

19. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

For me, it'll be when the old content is all released as a component, as at that same time it should be bugfixed. That's going to be my sign to start marketing the product. However, for the company, it'll be whenever they get to a stage where they have to think about whether to do a DVD image.

But as has been said above, rF1 and rF2 are different. rF1 was updated more often when ISI did things for ISI (commercial clients, etc) and you just got the benefit, code enhancements after the initial release weren't really planned, it seems. They are planned with rF2, and actually the product will change in all areas, and not just for ISI's benefit, but for yours.

20. C3PO

C3PO Registered

Brilliant Tim!