Jeremy Miller tweets (Senior Programmer at ISI)

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by TIG_green, Feb 21, 2013.

1. Valter Cardoso

Valter Cardoso Registered

Or some stewards running naked like crazy around the track....:D

2. Ruben Miranda

Ruben Miranda Registered

I would rather have naked grid girls running around lol

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

3. Luis Armstrong

Luis Armstrong Banned

4. Emery

Emery Registered

Naked grid girls running around would be incentive to prefer F1 to club racing... the club racing stewards around here are an unsightly bunch!

5. TIG_green

TIG_green Registered

It seems now they are testing unstable 589...

6. K Szczech

K Szczech Registered

7. Ari Antero

Ari Antero Registered

This may be good news ;)

8:26 AM - 19 Mar 2014
    Jeremy Miller ‏@jeremymmiller

Unstable 589 is out. Looking for stable build release by the end of the week if the unstable build holds up.

8. Justy

Justy Registered

Excellent! Just in time for my week off work. ;) <-------- Smug face ;)

9. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Registered

Hopefully it will include the simplest fix of all--to reverse the default setting for Alt-M so we don't have to press it every time we use the sim. Or, at least share the pain so those who don't use it can manually reverse the setting every time they run rF2. Of course if it was in the UI or even .PLR, this would be solved.

10. Radar

Radar Registered

I doubt this setting will come in as it comes down to mods changing their settings. Once these are done across all mods then the Alt-M will be useless.

11. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Registered

Wrong. It affects ISI tracks just as much as others. In the meantime, why force a manual selection of something that should be set-once and forget. As far as I know, even if every track out there was constructed perfectly, using this setting would not have a deleterious effect on visuals or performance, so ... ???!?!?! If .PLR remembered the last setting (as with mirrors, etc.), the problem would be solved. People could use whichever they preferred: enabled or disabled. How hard is it do that?

12. stonec

stonec Registered

As was pointed out here and by ISI dev in some other thread it's the track creator's choice to use excessive negative MIP LOD bias. If it's used sensibly I assume there would be no big aliasing, maybe on such tracks alt+M would even look worse. But apparently this high negative bias became a standard with rFactor tracks and has continued into rF2.

Anyway I'm doubting ISI is going to introduce an off switch for something that is a matter of track design. Also it's not a question of difficulty to do, but the dev team has never brought new game options on the fly based on what the community wants. Even obvious ones like the FFB smoothing slider took a long time to get into the menu.

13. FatnSlo

FatnSlo Registered

I don't really care how the track creators need to do it. How much time and money have users here spent trying to get the game look like what Alt-M is providing??? It needs to be an permanent option in the game.

14. Hedlund_90

Hedlund_90 Registered

The biggest difference I've seen when using alt + M to disable negative MIP LOD bias, was actually at ISI's Silverstone, so yes I think it would be nice to see it as an option in game.

15. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

Alt - m works for every single track. Also, every single track even In RF1 had the shimmering/crawling/super-aliased lines....Are you guys telling me that it's purely the modders/track makers fault? Because there are literally over 1000 tracks (I have almost 1000 in GT Legends, surely RFactor must have more) and i've never even seen a single track that didn't have this problem.....To me that points more to a core game engine issue, I mean if most track makers use these overly sharp GFX techniques you guys speak of then surely there must be at least some, out of 1000+ tracks, that don't use these over-sharpening techniques. At least a very small percentage, but I have never even seen 1. I mean out of 1000+ tracks not even 10%, not even 1%, it's literally EVERY SINGLE track that has these issues in RF engined sims.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 20, 2014
  16. Nhra Racer

Nhra Racer Registered

Hmmm. alt+m. What exactly does this do? Never knew about it.

EDIT: i see now. Nice difference!

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 20, 2014
  17. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Registered

And the short-term solution is as simple as rF2 remembering the setting and not reverting to a default. If this is too controversial or too much effort or requires six months of debate, rF2 is doomed. As mentioned above and other places by me, this is a clever solution (or darned good temporary work-around) to a problem that has plagued us since the beginning of rF1.

18. Luis Armstrong

Luis Armstrong Banned

It is not so easy.

19. hoser70

hoser70 Registered

Alt M????????

20. Luis Armstrong

Luis Armstrong Banned

No, nevermind