Jeremy Miller tweets (Senior Programmer at ISI)

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by TIG_green, Feb 21, 2013.

1. Johannes Rojola

Johannes Rojola Registered

Guess I did because I got answer that satisfied me :)

2. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

Odd that we would ignore such a basic question as about hiring people with experience versus not... Can you link the post? Tuttle was a perfect example, would have been silly to overlook him when we needed someone versus bringing in someone we would need to teach modding to. :) As I think Luc stated in his recent interview, it's often about the person being the right fit for who they are working with as well. Since being together, Pier and Luc have really turned things up. :)

3. Johannes Rojola

The question was about when ISI hires car guy for example, has he learned the gMotor physics engine by himself (like modders do), or if there is documentation or even tools to help the new guy out. And Tuttle answered something like that there is no documentation, and what needs to be learned is learned from company seniors. There is no link to a post, I am not sure what you are referring to... :)

4. Tuttle

Tuttle Technical Art Director - Env Lead

It is not about "learning" something you don't have a clue about. I guess you're trying to say devs are spending time to help new internal guys and not modders. Nope. This is not what I said. ;)

It's more about tuning your knowledge with the product.

I think most of the time people miss a very important information; modding is a VERY demanding task where the knowledge is not limited just on a single aspect you could explain in a tutorial. It requires LOT of knowledge and experience in lot of areas. Most of them are not directly connected to a game engine so you can't pretend ISI to teach you on 3D modeling, texture painting, layering, masking, baking, manual painting as a car modder shouldn't ask ISI to explain how a suspension or a engine works, from A to Z. etc...

Talking about myself I joined ISI with up to 20 years in the CGI industry so I didn't had to ask anyone how to model something or how to paint a layered texture, or how to manage a GIS set of data... This is stuff I already know. What I "learned", to use your term, was how to put all my experience between the product rails. Believe me, there is not time to teach "how to" do something from scratch...this is what Tim was saying about the non-sense of hiring a novice.

So the problem is when you're expecting ISI to release all that knowledge in a text form or in a set of tool to automate/averaging the creation process (which is something will never happen as we don't use ANY automation nor magic tools) or you're just asking for guidelines to put your knowledge on the proper route to match specific standards, and this is exactly what we're doing with already available and future documentation.

I'm not saying you need 20 years of experience to make a good mod (absolutely not, as many young modders and developers are showing). What I'm trying to say is nobody can ask magic tools or magic documents without a proper knowledge base which can help you understanding and managing any further information ISI will release to you, as a modder.

5. Johannes Rojola

Consistency between DevMode and Single Player would still help a lot, just sayin' :)

6. Jim Beam

Jim Beam Registered

7. 88mphTim

This'll be where Tuttle posts images from both looking the same...

8. Johannes Rojola

9. Andreas67

Andreas67 Registered

Sorry, but the switch has the function of world detail: the head movements are transmitted to the environment. The scenario is when it turns off, the environment does not shake. Or if they go to one side of a curb, the horizon does not change. In Rf1 you could change it for each vehicle in the cam file (orienteering rate). I hope you understand what I mean.
    Example: Here I changed the cam file for the Skippy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=unkq7jX2NZU

after edit:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ftMGEM2YwA

I have the real cockpit plugin, so it's better, but still way when hit by ground waves ect. the environment shakes.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 25, 2014
  10. Jim Beam

Jim Beam Registered

id like to see that...lets start with going for a pitstop

11. Brack Jabham

Brack Jabham Registered

Umm guys, the title of this thread is "Jeremy Miller tweets..." ie: a thread for people who don't use twitter. Your discussion, whilst interesting, is wayyy off topic. I suggest starting a new thread for it

12. 88mphTim

I've seen him do it before plenty of times. You can search for it if you want. Advanced search will allow you to do it by username.

13. mclaren777

mclaren777 Registered

14. Rony1984

Rony1984 Registered

I think I'm gonna skip my study tonight:)

15. Ronnie

Ronnie Registered

Email sent to my overlords ;) and uploading now... Unstable build is ready. Given its unstable, probably only be avalible via the forum

Sent from my RM-825_eu_poland_261 using Tapatalk

16. Esteve Rueda

Esteve Rueda Registered

Just at time to test It and be ready for league where I race! :eek:

17. Hagen Tröger

Hagen Tröger Registered

for how long?

18. MarcG

MarcG Registered

sweet, dinner now then play, thanks Jeremy & ISI

19. Justy

Justy Registered

Great news! Quick question... roughly how long (not holding anyone to anything here ;) ) do the unstable builds get tested, before a "stable" build is released? I'm weird and would rather wait for the stable build.

Many thanks, Justin

20. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

Can anyone post the build notes ( to the unstable ) ?