Jeremy Miller tweets (Senior Programmer at ISI)

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by TIG_green, Feb 21, 2013.

1. mclaren777

mclaren777 Registered

But you've also said that you don't want to actively promote rF2 until it's ready for prime time. Presumably that means there will be a "gold build" when you shift gears, promote the product, and entice the modding community back with a locked set of tools and standards?

2. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

The modding community is holding itself back at this time, and for quite a while now. Still seeing reasons stated as being the packaging system, etc. I don't see that as much of a valid reason anymore. I taught it to myself without reading any documentation, on purpose.

3. MarcG

MarcG Registered

so you understand the pain of having to repackage everything up, uninstall the old stuff then reinstall the new stuff just because you made one change to one line in one file....the packaging system has faults and has had faults since day one unfortunatley.
    You can either put up with it and get on with it or get frustrated by it, seems the mod teams are favouring the latter and I cant see how that is good for RF2 in any shape or form, they need to be kept happy, to me the mod teams (including individual track/car makers) are the number one priority too keep happy...not us regular folk!

4. 88mphTim

ISI uses those same tools to develop content. Not sure what else to say really.

5. Nimugp

Nimugp Registered

I'm pretty sure Speedweek is the week surrounding the Daytona 500 (which has ended now, so some people will have to for sim racing again)

You mean like almost everyone NOT from the USA??? :p

6. Andreas67

Andreas67 Registered

in Assetto Corsa, there is a switch for World detail. ( on or off ) I hope it is available soon in rf2.
    have often described here. So far, no official response.

7. Slamfunk3

Slamfunk3 Registered

If you have everything for your mod in the same designated folder and you just make one change to one file it takes about 4 clicks to re-package everything. Not only does the Mas2 utility remember everything but it also actually makes it easier to not forget any needed files.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I577 using Tapatalk

8. Johannes Rojola

Johannes Rojola Registered

You have in-house documentation?

9. Luc Van Camp

Luc Van Camp Track Team Staff Member

In-house documentation isn't going to teach you how to create normal maps, bake ambient occlusion, ... the basics.
    Modders can hide behind the fact that they don't have access to "the magic secret ISI tools" (see interview :) ); we don't have that luxury, that's the difference. I'd say there is no additional in-house documentation that isn't out there in public.

10. Noel Hibbard

Noel Hibbard Registered

I heard that too........ ;)

11. Noel Hibbard

Noel Hibbard Registered

You don't have to repackage mods to run in DevMode. DevMode works very much like rF1 did. Once you are done making all your changes then yes, you have to repackage. But during development (we are talking about modders right?) you don't have to do a bunch of work to change one line in one file.

12. peterchen

peterchen Registered

If you mean to adjust the detail of the environment (track) what includes number of objects and such,
    the ingame-option "track detail" does exactly this. That´s the reason an answer wasn´t necessary-
    it ever existed!

Greets
    Pete

13. 88mphTim

Hmm... Maybe he means to remove the objects, etc, while driving? In which case, I don't really see a need for that.

If you struggle that much for FPS, it probably isn't the case that you should ever have it off the lower setting, which makes the while driving option not needed, IMHO.

14. Tuttle

Tuttle Technical Art Director - Env Lead

This function (Circuit Detail in the Display panel) is present since day 1, as for rFactor 1.

EDIT; ops sorry...we replied the same all together lol! :)

15. Johannes Rojola

I find it hard to believe that there is not any in-house documentation or tools for car modding? It took community (many people) many YEARS to reverse engineer rF1 secrets about car modding, and there are still unknowns left. Does ISI staff rely on this community knowledge (which BTW is largely vanished by now from the web)? If you hire new guy to build cars, does he have to learn everything by trial and error without the help of any documentation? Or you just hire a modder who went through all that trouble of learning the engine in his free time?

http://imagespaceinc.com/technology/car-models-physics/

16. 88mphTim

He wasn't talking about that as an issue. He mentioned being able to dip in and our of in-sim testing and making changes. That has NOTHING to do with the in-house tool mentioned in that (partially out of date) link.

pTool (mentioned as being in-house in the link) is now public in the form we most often use it: http://rfactor.net/web/rf2/devscorner/introduction-to-physics-tool-ptool-and-flexible-chassis/

Without the help of any documentation? There's a list of documentation here: http://rfactor.net/web/rf2/devscorner/

Hiring a novice to do something there are experienced people available for would be ridiculous. Basic logic needed there. Almost seems as if you want an argument, which is an odd way to be posting.

17. Tuttle

Tuttle Technical Art Director - Env Lead

When a new guy join the team he has proper support from team "veterans". No secret documentation at all.

We're still writing down stuff to help modders (mostly on free time) and we're releasing everything as soon as they're ready to be released.

18. Johannes Rojola

Finally reasonable answer, thank you :)

19. 88mphTim

20. 88mphTim

Did you ask before?