Jeremy Miller tweets (Senior Programmer at ISI)

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by TIG_green, Feb 21, 2013.

1. mclaren777

mclaren777 Registered

Theoretically 110+ improvements since the last build.

I wonder what we should be expecting.

2. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Never done any programming, then?

3. stonec

stonec Registered

A build increment only indicates that the programmer has decided to commit something onto version control, that could be a change, adding or removing of code. For example tracing a bug could result in 10 new build versions.

4. mclaren777

mclaren777 Registered

True, but it has still been 70+ days since the last build so I think it's fair to be disappointed if very little has changed.

5. RNelson

RNelson Registered

No matter what is released people will find a reason to complain.

6. Ruben Miranda

Ruben Miranda Registered

Hello

No matter what is released people will find a reason to complain.

Is that not the truth
    +1

Ruben

7. Jamie Shorting

Jamie Shorting Registered

If they got free money they'd complain about the currency.

8. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

Qhhh I cant wait.

There is an RFactor 2 truck mod out that drives so much better than Reiza's Formula Truck game despite Reiza's / Niels H's AMAZING work on FTruck and Game Stock Car.

The RF1tyre model and physics engine still exhibit the same behaviour and tendencies no matter how much massaging and work you put into them. This can be clearly and instantly felt with the RF2 truck mod. The way the tyres grip, slip, and re-grip is just on another level than FTruck or anything from RF1, and I bet it will be the exact same thing witn the RF2 karts, and judging from some early RF2 kart mod videos from even 2 whole years ago I get even more confident.

9. Jamie Shorting

Jamie Shorting Registered

I tried that straight 6 mod(porsche) that people were raving about. I don't know if it was bad data or what but the tire model really showed it's age. Lost interest very quickly.

10. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Unless Jeremy's been on holidays the whole time, quite a few things will have changed. The large number of builds in that time would be another clue there.

But it's impossible to try and relate number of builds, or even time, to how many new things or fixed things we should have. You can completely redesign the backend of something so as to allow for a new direction in future and have absolutely nothing change for the end user. The mistake people make is thinking they should be able to see everything that's been done, when most of what goes on is hidden and therefore most changes are too.

11. mclaren777

mclaren777 Registered

I would probably agree with you if this was still 2012, but now that we're 25 months into the public release of rF2, I simply can't accept that notion.

ISI has squandered its time with this project and it seems crazy that they might radically change course now. If most of the 110 changes are invisible tweaks, we should all be concerned.

12. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

After really enjoying rf1 again recently I'm coming out of my highly frustrated (with ISI) phase (lol)
    rF1 although now a tad dated is still a total blast & now in the very best shape it's ever been,
    A good choice of tracks & cars. ( installed the historX mod & I recommend everyone tries this )

With rf2 I guess we have to leave initial anticipation's behind, like rf1 it's going to take some time,
    I do hope mod teams get involved as quality ( & optimised tracks ) are badly needed
    There's a good range of top quality cars mainly from ISI so all good in that department.

I wonder when rf2 will be in a state to be officially released, I think some mod teams are awaiting this,
    Be good if there was some kind of tutorial from ISI for track building from scratch and including real road etc features maybe this will promote some more track modding?

Rf2 is clearly better than anything else on the ffb/physics dept IMO so I guess the wait will be worth it.
    Let's keep out fingers crossed that the next build when ever it's released will be a decent one

13. C3PO

C3PO Registered

This really is a ridiculous statement.

If you examine where RF2 is right now versus the competition still in development, you'll see the current features are more advanced and even there at all. RealRoad, full 24-hour lighting, wet weather, fully functioning pit-stops, fully functioning human driver swaps, strong stability and AI the best of the bunch that I have used...I could go on. Of course it is not perfect, but the diamond will continue to be polished, refined and improved with time.

If you're worried about time versus feature implementation, you need to take a much closer look at the competition to see how advanced rF2 is.

14. C3PO

C3PO Registered

Oh, I hear much improved HDR in the next build too.

15. mclaren777

mclaren777 Registered

Most of those feature were either in rF1, or were developed for rF1 but never released to the public (eg, rain).

You're right that other games don't have those features, but ISI had a big head-start going into rF2. Most of those features were there 25 months ago.

16. C3PO

C3PO Registered

Well, it's about what's appeared and improved in rF2.
    - Real Road
    - MP driver swaps
    - Improved MP
    - Proper HDR
    - Improved FFB
    - Improved Tyre Model
    - Better Tracks
    - Better Cars

If you have Build 64 or whatever it was at launch might be worth checking it out ;)

17. mclaren777

mclaren777 Registered

You've just given me a brilliant idea. :)

18. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

Be sure to check it out with the original content. ;)

19. Javik

Javik Registered

in two years 381 builds, and in two months 221 builds ( 493 Unstable RC )

ths is de final of tunnel?

20. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

We're not intending to have a "final" build. "Final", meaning the last time we touch rF2, rF3 (or something else) will be our focus, and probably yours as well.