Jeremy Miller tweets (Senior Programmer at ISI)

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by TIG_green, Feb 21, 2013.

1. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Common statement 1: rFactor 2 is unfinished, unpolished, has a long way to go, lags behind <insert alternative sim here> in <insert department here>.

Common statement 2: rFactor 2 development is extremely slow.

Question: If you don't like it now, and it hasn't developed much, surely you didn't like it 'then' either. Why did you buy it?

2. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

I can't really blame anyone for making a decision. Usually it will be based off expectation, and everyone has their own expectations no matter what information is available. I expected to enjoy SimCity. I expected to enjoy X Rebirth. Neither met my expectations. I honestly can't fault someone for believing in something.

3. lagg

lagg Registered

Many people bought a program "free in beta stage" and suddenly had a "supposed no beta", but "for sure no free".

4. lagg

lagg Registered

Tim coul you explain the reason of banning to SPASKIS.
    It's possible, because of the language, i've lost the reason.
    The only thing i've seen here has been some thing like:
    - ¡Mine is longer than yours!
    - ¡No, Mine is longer!
    - You are mistaken, ¡Mine is the longest!

And it has been in both sides.
    I only want to emphasize that SPASKIS was a member really active. He has begun 59 threads, and many of them were for announce problems, or bugs.
    Some of there were for help the track modders, and to post his circuits.
    And he has answered many questions in the forum.
    It's a shame.
    Could you explain it, please?.

Thanks in advance.

5. 88mphTim

The promise was actually 6 months additional for free, and more than that was given. Those who purchased after the "suddenly" were not told of any free period, and were not given one for that reason.

6. 88mphTim

It is a shame. No, sorry.

7. Bjørn

Bjørn Registered

Viso, progress is too slow yes, I support your view and has been voicing my frustrations numerous times myself... Also been shown the door for it... But nothing really changes no matter how many voices will express frustrations...

I support your view but I'm not going to lash out any more than that :)

@lagg: he wasted Tims time :)

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 31, 2014
  8. Sean_S36

Sean_S36 Registered

RFactor 2 is not the priority of ISI , commercial work is priority , I thought this was so obvious!

9. Adrian

Adrian Registered

Has anyone from ISI actually said this? Also as far as I can see on the rfactor-pro site they licence the code and build on it, meaning that anyone working on RF Pro isn't also working on RF2 and for ISI it would make sense to be developing RF2 as fast as they can (which tim has said they're doing) so code they're licencing has more value.

Tim can correct me if i'm too far wrong.

10. 88mphTim

No, we've said the opposite. And nothing has changed since it was last said.

However, your belief on Pro being "hands off" for ISI isn't exactly correct. We do sometimes have to make code changes for them and we do have to touch the product for fairly insignificant amounts of time here and there, but that product is already done and being used, being licensed out as-is. Until we want to make a Pro version based on the rF2 engine, it's effectively "done" in terms of major development.

I'm the only person at ISI doing any real amount of commercial activity (sim centers, software usage at events, etc, mainly consisting of contracts, invoices, phone calls). Licensing out of our software is my 'day job'. And again, 99.9% of this licensing is with products and options that are "done" in terms of development. These types of deals can lead to some interesting things, I can't give rF2 specifics, but the BMW Sauber in rF1 came to be because of Intel using rF1 commercially. There's been a lot of indirect benefit for the public retail products from private licensing as well.

11. 88mphTim

I have to say, only the most negative mentality could take a tease about the kart having moving feet in a limited character tweet as "OMG!!!11 All they've done is add animated feet... BAHAHA" Especially when the same tweet includes unspecific mention of shadows and LODs (which the same people complain need work), as well as unspecific HDR changes, which is an unspecific improvement to graphics. The reaction to that in particular says an awful lot more about some sections of the community than you probably want it to. Very sad, especially as I'm being reminded of different times consolidating my youtube channels down to a single account, uploading videos of GPL races from 1999. The internet was a much nicer place, gamers were nicer as well, because only the adults paid the phone bills, I guess, nobody had time to mess around trying to make people argue, you left that for when they wrecked everyone going into Curva Grande.

12. Guimengo

Guimengo Guest

It may not have gone unnoticed, it can be some skepticism with regards to how much improvement there will be given the impact of certain featured notes in past updates (or frustration with development pace). I have not played the game in several weeks but am staying reasonably hopeful with regards to the HDR portion of the update, although I still believe for HDR to fully work the base, non-HDR settings must be finely tuned.

13. 88mphTim

Can see that, thanks. That's a perfectly reasonable post about it.

14. McNolo

McNolo Registered

Dear members of ISI:

Your attitude with Spaskis has been unfair and misplaced. I have not seen insults or lack of respect that would justify his expulsion. If you not like critical reviews, simply do not put attention to it, but the thing that you have made does not show good image of you.

In my opinion the development is always difficult, I know it and I understand it, but if someone believes otherwise it is free to think that, you don't need to expel people just disagree with him, is called freedom of expression.

This actions create a bad image of ISI, and that is not good for business.

Regards.

15. lagg

lagg Registered

Agree with McNolo 100%.

This is another good sample.

In my opinion, you should remember who we are.
    We are the customers of your company.
    And most of us have been betatesters of your product having paid the game.
    And it's normal to receive some criticals about your product, because it's in constant development.
    This is a non finished product with a lot of bugs.
    Every release corrects old bugs, but has new ones.
    Sometimes we don't know if we go forward or backward.
    The league admin don't know what to do when a new release appears.
    Think that it's difficult for us.
    Thanks.

16. Domi

Domi Registered

Now instead you have the spanish brigade against you :D

I don't understand why people gets mad because there will be pedal animations, it's probably something irrelevant yes, but it doesn't mean that the 3D guy isn't doing anything else, and I'd bet it's something that didn't take much time off.

If anything, people should complain about the lack of coders, which is imo what makes the development so slow, but complaining about a new feature coming from some area that works well (in my opinion at least) it's a bit silly.

17. Mibrandt

Mibrandt Registered

I dont think ppl get mad because animated feet are coming. I think its clear that its frustration about the basic features being full of bugs and "one step forward, two steps back" builds often being released. So basically they are expressing the same opinion as you - "lack of coders that makes the development slow". They just express it their way. I hope ISI also can put 2 and 2 together and see where the frustration is coming from.

18. Noel Hibbard

Noel Hibbard Registered

Always the same handful. They think that if they post enough passive aggressive comments that development will miraculously become a simple task. Then when one of these handful of people gets banned we get a small outrage out of said handful.

Tim, I am also amazed that the number one complaint is about shadows yet it goes completely unnoticed when fixed. It's just proof that some people are here (on this planet) to complain just to complain. I am willing to bet these same people are on forums, blogs, YouTube, Twitter, Facebook ect, ect complaining about anything and everything they think they can get attention from.

I will say though that although SPASKIS can be abrasive or arrogant (he was top of his class you know) but he does contribute to the community as well.

19. McNolo

McNolo Registered

I'm not complaining of development, I'm complaining of injustice and intolerance that has been committed here with Spaskis.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 31, 2014
  20. juankyskys

juankyskys Registered

Improve rf2 optimization alone or give us more tools and info for increase it with rf Community help.

Spaskis voted for second option, time ago.