Jeremy Miller tweets (Senior Programmer at ISI)

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by TIG_green, Feb 21, 2013.

1. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

I'm confused, isn't that the same as what happened with rF1, minus the fact that with rF2 you know what content you need, and if properly setup, could automatically download it?

2. Jim Beam

Jim Beam Registered

and who do you think is going to pay for that extra bandwidth put on a server...we are 20 or so months into this beta and still admins/servers are not adopting this method...clearly its not going to be so saying if admin would only do it properly there wouldn't be an issue is mute...

3. Noel Hibbard

Noel Hibbard Registered

Actually a server hosted by an admin that likes to run his server properly goes like this:
    Step 1: Select the server on the list
    Step 2: Click the Mod button
    Step 3: The vmod downloads and then you get the list of missing stuff
    Step 4: You click the "Get Missing Components" button.
    Step 5: The components download one by one
    Step 6: Select the car you want to race and you're done.

No need to ask people what track/cars they are running and hope they answer before the server kicks you and there is no need to go hunting stuff down just to find out you downloaded the wrong version.

Like I said, join the "Virtual Online Racers" server. You will see how it should work. Also keep in mind that server has 100% non-ISI content.

4. Noel Hibbard

Noel Hibbard Registered

The server doesn't host the content. Dropbox or some other web host does. You need to learn how it works before discounting the whole system.

5. 88mphTim

Again, nobody has ever said there can't be changes. non-ID vMods are a server side change, easy to make now (and made) to see how it goes. If other things can be simplified, they will be.

6. Jim Beam

Jim Beam Registered

I know how it works mate... and its failed...how many rooms have adopted this method since its been brought in, 5% if your lucky...and even if a room has it...who wants to sit looking at the lobby for up to an hour while it downloads ...not many I can assure you

7. 88mphTim

Discount that feature entirely then. If nobody is using it, then why remove it? Nobody is being forced. If they don't use it, they 'fall back' on having to go find the mod, just like rF1. Doesn't seem like you're posting about what you're really being affected by, which is vMods, right? Not getmod.

8. Noel Hibbard

Noel Hibbard Registered

Well clearly you don't know how it works or you wouldn't have recommended extra bandwidth on the server. The reason only 5% are using it is because like you, they don't understand how I works. Also, you don't have to look at he lobby for an hour. Just like you don't have to look at your WebBrowser for an hour. The advantage is all you do is click one button as apposed to googling the track and car names an reading through threads, finding dead links ect ect.

But like Tim said, it works as is, just because you like to complain doesn't mean it should be removed for those that are willing to spend a few minutes reading up on how it works.

9. Chris Griffin

Chris Griffin Registered

+1

10. Gupster

Gupster Registered

NAGP ran a couple of races over the course of the last 2 weeks. We used Classic F series cars on historic circuits. Some of the guys didn't have all the content and used the "get mod" button, It worked wonderfully and everyone had a good time. It took me 4 - 5 minutes to make the vmod and upload it and start our server. As a league admin I have no issue with any of this system. I find security in the fact there is no way to alter files to gain an advantage.
    So I guess put me in the "like" column for the current online system. It is quite easy imho.

11. D.Painter

D.Painter Registered

This is true and everything that was brought up as possible issues have come to pass.

Get mod! Fine if you want to get any and every track, cars or series ever made just so you'll be able to join a server. That's not me. I have no interest in getting some tracks because their on the Vmod list for that server. I may have had it and think it's crap or just don't want it. I'm not going to be forced to getmod just so I can race online on a track "I do have" but can't because of a track I don't have or want.

Whether the servers are set up correctly or not the Vmod is making you need all available content. This is fine for those that don't care and right now the amount of content is limited but that will (may) change.

All this and more is in that thread Jim Beam mentioned. All the issues we've seen ISI change were in that thread 18 months ago as possible problems.

You can say ok I don't know how it works! Possibly that's true but please consider 90% of people wouldn't know and nearly as many don't want to know. They just want to race, not get crap they don't want. Why do you really think rF2 servers are empty?

Let's face it, Vmod and the old now debunked rFmods are League based. They would work in leagues because it's a set program or series that the Vmod can be made up for. Open servers it don't work and the evidence of that is on the servers or "not" on the servers. Till a new track version comes out and everybody wants it on the server to try it out.

People go on that rF1 was all bad! And ISI are among them. rF1 method wasn't as bad as you all make out. Sure open servers it was a issue but league based it worked fine. Series races arranged by league admin had all the content needed and linked on their wed sites, No different to Getmod before you enter the server.

The argument for having cars and track assigned to each other has been proven to be a downfall, not a benefit. The reason behind, for Vmods has been show to be a downfall. Over 18 month this debate has been going and still we see no real benefit in this method, only issues. Mismatch's

12. 88mphTim

We've only had tracks and cars unconnected to each other, and in separate files completely since July. Tacking an 18 month period onto that seems a little far fetched as a means of judgement, and it's what, 3 months of observation later, and we've made a first change towards simplifying things this week. Because it does indeed seem like the community won't use the system as it is intended, which is OK, it shows us that.

Bit confused reading your post as well, and this seems typical of the feedback on this issue.
    You don't seem to understand. Server admins aren't supposed to be doing that. You should be able to join having only the content running installed, and if you don't have it, download it, and it alone. Try Joining the ISI Touring rF2 server right now with nothing else installed, or indeed none of the content it is using installed, dare ya. It'll work exactly like it's supposed to. You won't be made to do anything except get the content actually being raced, and quite easily.

13. BrokkelPiloot

BrokkelPiloot Registered

Couldn't agree more. Why are people so impatient and conservative?

14. D.Painter

D.Painter Registered

Firstly I'm not interested in any of the servers content running but that aside, A car and 1 track if iI had them would mean only a text file to download. Otherwise I'd need the content itself. To be fair, If I don't have it, It's because I don't want it. Your servers are set up as a single track and a ISI track at that. So in general everyone has that content or for the most part anyway. Set up a rotating track server with none ISI tracks set to a Vmod and you have a different story all together.

How did you come to this conclusion? The content has been separate downloads sins then but they've been assign in one form of another the hole time. Whether you call it rFmod or Vmod their still assigned to each other.

Maybe your right. Maybe you could explain how the admin set up Vmods for multiple tracks and not have the community need to have all the content "assigned" to that Vmod.

15. BrokkelPiloot

BrokkelPiloot Registered

Don't present 90% as a fact like Jim Bean did. Just because a minority is complaining about the system in a thread all the time doesn't mean that that is an accurate representation of all rF2 users. Also, the fact that you need to download additional stuff you don't want has to do with the server you are trying to join. In my opinion, too many Vmods have at least 10 locations in them. That's why I think ISIs plan to have track/car combos is great. It will show people the benefits and that it shouldn't be that complicated if used correctly.
    I have no doubt in my mind that this new system will turn out to be a major success once people understand it. But you need to keep an open mind for that and read up a bit. If you are not willing to those small things, you will probably never like it.

16. Jim Beam

Jim Beam Registered

mate i do understand how it works...but any "free" method of bandwidth is way to slow (file hosting sites), that ive come across anyway.

try Tims example that he just dared D.Painter to try...thats atleast 30 mins of waiting in the lobby and that's just 1 car and track ... most people will see how slow it is going and give up

now i agree rooms should only have 1 track and car but i can also see why they arnt doing it that way because of the pain it is to continually have to reset up a room if you want to rotate tracks...

Tims answer is to run rooms with same car and track for a week...that's fine for a league that is planned and has a result via a championship but for a casual racer it will get pretty boring pretty quick ...

i mainly race in a league ...last night we wanted to run a particular track and car..we all had the cars and track..but because it wasn't linked with a VMod we were going to have to go thru all that process for a spur of the moment one time fun race...cbf so we did something else

you can say that people should do this or that till your blue in the face but you are and will remain the minority on this issue...the fact is the majority are not liking it and the lobby is dead..

17. Jim Beam

Jim Beam Registered

18. 88mphTim

You missed the point. *A* server should run like ours do. Referencing what is being raced NOW, not what they might race ever. Our servers work how every server should work. Take the fact that you can download ISI mods out of it, and you'd still only need the cars and track you are ACTUALLY RUNNING, not everything. What you're complaining about, is nothing to do with the fact that it's ISI mods, or that you can download them. Why do people keep lumping that in? You dilute your argument against vMods by doing so.

19. 88mphTim

Again, how is downloading mods ANYTHING to do with vMods? It's like you don't understand what you're arguing about.

How about you also forget about downloading the content from the server? How about you only talk about the thing you say is the problem, vMods. In your ideal world you would have the car, the track, you'd go to the server list, you'd join. Well, try that with the servers we're setting up. You're not talking 30 minutes, you're talking 3 seconds do join our server with the content BEING RUN the only thing you need installed, not everything, because we only referenced in our vMod what is BEING RUN.

Your point on having to go through vMod creation for a fun race, etc, is absolutely valid, but you keep diluting what you're saying by bringing in downloading of mods and simply confusing the matter entirely.

20. 88mphTim

And don't get me wrong, I want to hear true negative feedback, that's the only way to effect change. It just seems like it's coming across confused and out of context.