Jeremy Miller tweets (Senior Programmer at ISI)

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by TIG_green, Feb 21, 2013.

1. baked bean

baked bean Registered

Build 342 being uploaded. This will be a full stable release. Not unstable as I said earlier. It will take a few hours to upload. Jeremy Miller on twitter :D

2. Jamie Shorting

Jamie Shorting Registered

3. Barf Factor

Barf Factor Registered

I'm not surprised, because the unstable build already seems really good

4. speed1

speed1 Banned

Yes :)

@Tim
    My following question in relation to the drivetrain :)
    I just don't know in how many parts it could be and which one is already working. :)

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 24, 2013
  5. tjc

tjc Registered

Just noticed this on twiiter too bb...

Hopefully it`ll be up soon. :)

6. Jerry Luis

Jerry Luis Banned

Is the 339 build but stable? If don´t, i don´t want.

7. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

Essentially they're working in steps so they can only go forward with that area. Usually now if they want to do something advanced with a car, the guys will being the code in (to core) to support it when it is released, so the model is WIP, but at a stage where it made the Howston more realistic.

8. speed1

speed1 Banned

So the Howston are the first and only one which benefit from at this stage, when it's right. :) And what is it ? :rolleyes: :D

9. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Wouldn't this deal with the known bug relating to clutch slip?

10. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

Yes, the Howston is the only car released since a new model was mentioned in build notes. What is what?

11. Noel Hibbard

Noel Hibbard Registered

No. It fixed some of the 339 bugs. It isn't simply an incremented build number.

12. speed1

speed1 Banned

Ok thx Tim. I was just curious on the part which is already in. What i mean't with, what is it ? As example the differential in relation to the drivetrain. :)

Edit: i won't wast your time, due to the language barrier we need 3 post's to come here and i'm still asking.:D We will see when what is in.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 25, 2013
  13. Mulero

Mulero Registered

Someone can explain to me what that means?

We do not need to create a VMOD to create a server?

14. Aleksi Elomaa

Aleksi Elomaa Registered

You don't have to register the vmod. Could this mean that you can now edit component download links in your vmod?

15. Noel Hibbard

Noel Hibbard Registered

I think it is just prep for the ability to auto create vmods. My guess is they are trying to prevent problems of duplicate registrations due to mass creation of vmods.

16. Mulero

Mulero Registered

Nothing new under the sun then. Having to register VMOD is no problem, the problem is having to create a VMOD, need that VMOD to enter on the server, need all the content you requested in VMOD to enter the server .... and all things that have been discussed many times.

I just want to select the cars, circuits and anyone who has to go. Or to enter a server where the content is being executed that I have without having to install 50.000 things I do not want for anything, although when you switch circuit I ejected from the game.

Not all of us run into leagues, just want something simple and fast. Two clicks and playing.

17. gabriel666

gabriel666 Registered

+1

18. Noel Hibbard

Noel Hibbard Registered

A vmod is just a description for what is currently running on the server. The problem isn't the need to have vmods, the problem is no one wants to be bothered with creating them and registering them. If the game gave us the ability to jut pick some cars off a list and some tracks off a list an then automatically created a vmod and registered it, we would have tons if duplicate vmods registered. Removing the need to register solves the duplicate vmod problem which paves the way to a more automatic way to generate vmods.

rF2:
    Step 1: run mas2.exe
    Step 2: click the package button and then select mod.
    Step 3: select your tracks from the track list
    Step 4: select your cars from the list.
    Step 5: select the car sounds and any other content like skin packs from the list.
    Step 6: click package
    Step 7: click register
    Step 8: run dedi server and select your vmod.

In rF1:
    Step 1: Run dedi server exe
    Step 2: Select a mod
    Step 3: select your tracks
    Step 4: select which cars from the mod that you want to allow

I you want to pull cars from multiple mods then you are out if luck. When people in the public (not talking about leagues) join your server they get a mismatch when joining and then it goes like this:
    Me: hey what mod are you gu<disconnect>

Join again:
    Me: what mod are you guys running?
    Other driver: a modified endurance series mod
    <disconnect>

Join again:
    Me: where can I get it?
    Other driver: on the ISI forums

You get the drift. In rF2, Vmods contain everything the connecting client needs to know. The game will auto download everything that is missing. The only improvement would be to not has to download all the tracks but only the current track.

What I think people would like:
    Step 1: run dedi server
    Step 2: select some tracks
    Step 3: select some cars (and automatically include the sounds and talent behind the scenes)
    Step 4: select any other stuff like skin packs or UIs.
    Step 5: click next and have it create a vmod behind the scenes and continue to the other server related options.

If anyone wants to see how a properly implemented server runs. Join the server named "Virtual Online Racers".

Please guys, lets not go back to rF1. Vmods need to stay.

19. Jim Beam

Jim Beam Registered

no they don't need to stay...Vmods need to go

..you didn't mention what happens in rF2

go to join:

missing blah blah...stuck in lobby with no way of finding out where to get said content and cant even ask the people on the server where to go, give up and go watch tv...or spend 1/2 the night downloading content , give up go watch tv

a thread was started here 18 months ago to get rid of vmods...30 odd pages with atleast 90% of people wanting them gone, back then we only had a few cars and tracks and as warned the situation is much worse now

its bad enough running in a league with them..id hate to be a public racer with these conditions

20. stonec

stonec Registered

90% of the servers hosted do not utilize the vmod system properly, which might make 90% of people think the old system is better. If the server was set up properly, rF2 would auto-download all missing content before server join. Now if every content had auto-download enabled (ISI content does already), then how many people would really want to go back to the old non-vmod system, where you had to search for every track and car manually on the Internet? There are problems with the current system, but the core problem isn't the vmod, it's how to link content to it and make the creation process easier.