Tim, Hows the Licensing

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Golanv, Feb 18, 2013.

1. Guy Moulton

Guy Moulton Registered

The difference there is, as I see it, that I know lots of people who have Forza and Gran Turismo and only a few who sim race. The GT and Forza owners have MANY cars unlocked and can name the major brands they own in game and can name a couple favorites but have no clue what most of the marques are. They don't know the cars, the engines, the history or really how to drive them. The sim racers know every car they own, the engine, the type of car, the series, the history and everything. In general. I'm sure there are console racers who are good and know what's in their stable but sim racers are far more knowledgeable.

It's a classic case of quantity over quality. these car manufacturers want as many eyeballs looking at their shiny car as possible even if the person behind those eyeballs has no clue what he's looking at.

2. Golanv

Golanv Registered

Caterham is gonna have financial issues soon with their F1 team, they need advertising help for their products, now is the time to strike. Imagine, Caterham V8 in rF2 and the ISI and rFactor2 logo on the side of the Caterham F1 car.

3. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

Primary interest is purely about how much money they can get from ISI, versus Sony or Microsoft really. Most of the time they don't care about the audience each party has, just how much of a fee they'll get.

4. Golanv

Golanv Registered

Makes one proud that ISI hasnt gone and get themselves married to a rich bachelor, just to sell their soul and make another arcade to the ocean of arcades.
    How many proposals or wooings so far... can be count with one hand.. two.. need toes?

edit: did you watch the Daytona 500 by the way?... cause I did and it was actually great.

5. 88mphTim

Well, the thing you can rest assured on, is that those who we have licensed, appreciate racing fans, because without money, that's their primary focus (just making people happy). Mercedes REALLY surprised me, for example, as we have multiple content items from them.

Yeah, it was OK. I didn't mind the single file stuff, I think it'll be a lot different at Talladega, even with the same package. But it also reminded me of the 'pied piper' days with Dale Jr. And everyone loved it back then...

6. Gearjammer

Gearjammer Registered

The one aspect of NASCAR racing that I don't like is the follow the leader way things have become. I liked NASCAR a lot more in the 70's where there was actual racing going on and not long trains of cars.

BTW, so this post is on topic, heheh, can't wait to see what you have in store for us from Mercedes. ;)

7. Jize

Jize Registered

how many ISI-made cars can we approximately expect when rf2 will release? :) i now count 17 in game with all content downloaded from isi for rf2.

8. Nimugp

Nimugp Registered

I think they don't know: Even just recently Tim secured new licences, and by the looks of things still trying to get new ones. Also, in rF1 it was the same, after release even more content was released (F1 Sauber, multiple Panoz)

9. 88mphTim

Yeah I'm always working on it. I purposely slowed a bit towards the end of last year, but I'm going at it again now.

And no, no idea as they'll always be added.

10. wgeuze

wgeuze Registered

Try offering a side deal for a 6dof motion system with rFpro ;)

11. JJStrack

JJStrack Registered

I think Mercedes is one of the more generous manufacturers...and they still have some enthusiasts left in their executive suite. On the upside, this results in the License for RF2. On the Downside, they are far less financialy viable than BMW and the VW brands, which might change the attitude towards the worse in the future...

12. Raiplat

Raiplat Registered

Hey Tim, have you contacted VW/Audi? Is there any chance we will see an Audi in Rf2?

13. Golanv

Golanv Registered

Of course they gave you licenses. ;)
    <- Big MB fan

14. 88mphTim

Yes. We have a VW owned property licensed, but not an Audi (or VW).

15. smartin13

smartin13 Registered

skoda,seat,lomborghini,porsche,bentley,bugatti?

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 26, 2013
  16. Hectari

Hectari Registered

17. Golanv

Golanv Registered

How are the Japanese car companies about their licenses, just as money hungry as the rest?

18. 88mphTim

Contact is the main issue. But I've gone through a couple of drivers to get that contact. They seem very open once you get in, but I can't confirm anything yet.

19. Pandamasque

Pandamasque Registered

Mazda MX5 and Toyobaru BRZ86 would be worth a shot.

20. Armando

Armando Registered

Mazda 787B, please. :D