Zero motion blur, amazing!!!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Spinelli, Feb 18, 2013.

1. KeiKei

KeiKei Registered

Great! Btw I'm happy now as changing refresh rate to 60 Hz from nVidia CC changes behaviour so that LightBoost is only on when rF2 is on. No more eye strain and faint blur on normal desktop usage! (but of course I'll change it to 144 Hz once mdrejhon creates the new inf-file)

2. DrR1pper

DrR1pper Registered

Copy that, just checked it was and is on 120hz.

If I should die in my sleep tonight, tell the autopsy guys that the joker sized smile on my face is not from MDMA but from the monitor. :p

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 21, 2013
  3. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

Wow, I wasn't expecting this. I thought we had to rely on nvidia to allow the strobing at >120hz, this just keeps getting better.

This will also help with the rare people here and there that are overly sensitive to flickering even at 1ms/120hz.

I'm so jealous of you guys, I only spent time with lighboost once at my friends last week. Going to try to sell my 3 Samsung PX2370s ASAP. They are 3ms monitors, with some of the lowest input lag of all lcds (reportedly only 3.3 ms input lag), the motion blur on them is still a complete joke.

I can see the corners and edges of the car get slightly blurry and fuzzy even when my car is rotating VERY SLOWLY in the GT Legends car viewer spinner thing. What a joke!!!

Thank you lightboost, thank you mdrejhon , and thank the industry for pushing 3d technology, which FORCED manufacturers to get this technology out. It truly shows how much tech we have and could have, but due to whatever reasons (probably cost) companies always seem to give us crappy products that could be soooo much better. I mean if it wasnt for 3d, do you think we would have this right now, even though companies totally knew what this tech would achieve??? Of course not!

4. DrR1pper

DrR1pper Registered

KeiKei, you must be happiest of all because you started out having bought a monitor for the 144hz, unknowing to you what other goodies it had it store for you.

5. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

Blur/ghosting/trailing/artifacting/coronas etc INDUCED BY THE LIMITATIONS OF TRADITIONAL "SAMPLE AND HOLD" LCD TECHNOLOGY" is always a bad thing. Any blur thats been added purposely by the original source/content of course is fine because its supposed to be there, or an option to be there (like in some video game's options), but we arent talking about that here.

If you like the intended motion blur from, for example. your Crysis video game, you can still enable that setting in the specifc game's option. Then you will still get the game's intended motion blur whenever the game intends for it to happen, and how it intends for it to happen and look like etc., but you will not get any of the horrible blur/ghosting/trailing/artifacting/coronas etc. that are induced by the limitations of traditional "sample and hold" LCD tech.

6. mdrejhon

mdrejhon Registered

I am not 100% convinced it is worth replacing a VG278HE with a VG278H (they otherwise have the exact same PixPerAn blur benchmarks, when excluding the faint sharp afterimage). You might even have a better-than-expected VG278HE, too. You already said you don't notice the afterimage problem in games. Because of this, you might only notice less than a 1% or 10% improvement. So it probably not worth the hassle; my reply was simply to redirect gamers (who haven't bought a monitor yet) to better-reviewed LightBoost monitors; preferably a 24" for the best possible TN LCD quality, as LightBoost is only currently possible with TN LCD's at this time of writing...

As of Feb 2013, the current best LightBoost monitor models are ASUS VG248QE and the BENQ XL2411T, both of them are 24" 1ms panels. So, essentially, you're really wanting to replace your HE, you might as well look for the "larger LightBoost upgrade" you can possibly get, since the jump from the HE to the H is probably a fairly small upgrade. (The XL2411T is available for 239.99 pounds including VAT on a popular online UK site). But then again, if you're going that route, you are downgrading to a smaller size (27" into 24").

All LightBoost monitors seem to have equally excellent motion blur elimination, with the major differences being TN image quality (better on 24"), default color calibration (can be re-calibrated), and other effects such as the existence vs lack of faint sharp afterimage effect (crosstalk between refreshes)

So you might as well stay with your ASUS VG278HE, since you already have it...?

7. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

Hey everyone, just letting you know I posted the same thread in the nogrip forums http://www.nogripracing.com/forum/showthread.php?t=308903 , hopefully we can let the sim racing community more aware of it, as the hardcore "mainstream" gaming people seem to already have a lot of awareness and knowledge of this amazing tech.

If any of you would like me to edit anything in that post, as I have done lots of quoting, just let me know :).

Oh, and thanks again mdrejhon, for signing up here just to help us out at the expense of your own time :). I'm sure there are many viewers here who dont respond, or might not even be signed up, but still read, and are therefore very grateful for the information and help that you have provided us all.

8. mdrejhon

mdrejhon Registered

Thanks!

As a rule of thumb, I have learned that it's better to reveal LightBoost information in smaller morsels at a time. I find many people sometimes skip over huge articles. People prefer to consume information in smaller bits at a time.
    -- Keep your posts a little smaller and simpler; I have the same habit as yours. Huge colorful link-filled posts sometimes look too infomercial-like. It tends to turn off some audiences on certain forums (e.g. AnandTech has been somewhat lukewarm about LightBoost)
    -- Become familiar with the [VIDEO] tag, for embedding YouTube links; the LightBoost highspeed video has shown pretty convincing proof of LightBoost LCD's new ability to bypass the pixel persistence barrier.

Meanwhile, keep an eye on my www.blurbusters.com blog.
    I post new information all the time; including tricks such as overclocking an HDTV to 120 Hz, the new Toshiba 120 Hz laptop, and things like home-made Arduino input lag meters, etc. I am about to launch brand new, easier motion tests during march that are a 21st century replacement for PixPerAn.

The main thread I hang out for LightBoost, is usually the HardForum LightBoost thread, since it's impossible for me to be in all forums all at once.

P.S. I've moved my website now, although the old links still work. However, where possible, use "www.blurbusters.com" instead of "www.scanningbacklight.com" and "marky.com/backlight". You can click the link which now automatically redirects, then copy and paste the new link to replace your old link.

9. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

Cool, I know, the huge threads seem way too infomercial like, as if I am selling some fake B.S. gimmick, or as if I am just trying to make money, you're so right, I just get too excited and need to reveal and answer all questions in one big post. From now on, if I do it in any other forums, i'll definetely follow you're way, thanks for that.

By the way, comming ini will allow to re-enable 144hz non-lightboost, oops I read it wrong lol.

10. Novis

Novis Registered

This is why I participate in forum discussions.

Thanks, no problem. Motion blur is a compromise trading sharpness against the impression of smooth fluid motion. What to prioritize depends on the situation. Is motion blur always bad? No. Is motion blur always good? No. Is motion blur good sometimes? Yes. I can agree with that. It doesn't matter if the ratio is 5/95, 50/50 or 95/5, that has never been the point I'm trying to make. It is obvious as the frame rate increase that ratio swings to sharpness.

11. Novis

Novis Registered

With motion blur used to smoothen video you ADD image information (motion) from the same time interval as frame is being created. With ghosting and trailing you DESTROY the image as you insert information outside the frame's time interval. Blur generated by hardware can either fall inside the frame interval and MAY then be good or fall outside and always be bad.

12. Thomas

Thomas Registered

Hey guys, this really sounds damn great. I allways wanted to have my gaming as smooth as possible and tried everything in the past to get it. Sadly im not that guru when it comes to technic and hardware, so i have to ask some questions to u guys, if that what im planning to do is right and will work like i think it should.

So, im having an ASUS VE258Q, atm. Now i want to upgrad to some LightBoost Monitor. Sadly the best for that are 24" Monitors, wich i think will be to small for me. I actually feel, that my 25" Asus is a bit to small. So the only promising option for me is the Asus VG278H.

1. When i buy the VG278H, there is no .Inf or .reg tweaking needed to get LightBoost working, right?

2. If so, i have to go in the nvidia control panel and activate 3d everytime i want to play with lightboost, right? (of course, then use crtl+t to disable it ingame, lightboost will still be active)

3. Will there be a fast way of switching LB on/off, without going into controlpanel everytime, with a 120Hz monitor, in the near future? (it will be possible soon for 144Hz if i understand everything right)

4. Are there any 27" monitors that have 144Hz?

@ mdrejhon: THX, for all ur observations!
    @Spinelli: THX, for bringing this into the forums! :) I never heard of it before.

At the end, english is not my native language so its propably possible, that there are some grammar and spelling errors. sry for that! :)

13. Zizza

Zizza Registered

yesterday i receive my 2 new AOC I2757FM... ips monitors with thin bezel (12mm)

I tested this monitors with the Covette and WOW!!! Amazing!! Beautiful color and no blur... Next month i buy the central monitor... AOC D2757PH it's the same of I2757FM but is 3D :D

14. DrR1pper

DrR1pper Registered

Ok, so to describe my problem in a nutshell....

I tick 3D with "always" on to enable lightboost. If i choose to leave it ticked on, 3D starts with any game i open and in bf3 this leads to a crash of the game before i can do the ctrl+T to disable the 3D which also stops my CPU from being working at 100% (the cause of the freeze). As you said earlier, the 100% cpu usage is most like from the IR emitter emulator.

If i choose to disable the 3D and hit apply, lightboost remains switched on which is what i want. In fact, if i start PixPerAn, the lightboost is still enabled and my guess being because PixPerAn is not a 3D program. For some reason, when i start a 3D program (bf3 or rf2) the lightboost disables and that's not good ofc.

What's most annoying is that somehow i managed to get the PC to keep lightboost enabled with the 3d un-ticked and transition in and out of games and desktop. I wan't to get back there but can't figure out how.

All games are running at 120hz (119.98hz for bf3 as that's how bf3 calls it for some reason)

15. DrR1pper

DrR1pper Registered

mdrejhon, between your perfectly motion blurless 24" to your vg278h, would you consider using the vg278h for gaming despite there still being some ghosting on it?

I'm seriously trying to weigh up getting the non E version if i can get a better idea.

16. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

No it isnt a compromise. Fluidity is improved, as is the sharpness and clearness as well. Users have experienced this first hand in the movie theater watching The hobbit in 48 fps, in TONS of games (if you have a look at alll the amazing comments from others that I linked to :)), and 2 examples being in our very own RFactor 2 by DrR1pper and KeiKei...

Wish I could help you DrR1pper, gotta buy one of these myself first, cant do any testing until I go to my friend's place again, try checking out those links in the middle of my first post, tons of info.

Dont think so, no :). The rest of your questions I am not sure, there is tons of info in all the links in the middle of my first post that may help you.

17. DrR1pper

DrR1pper Registered

Guys, i have it working in lightboost again now (but still need to figure out what i'm doing for it to remain on and hassle-free) and it's just the best thing since sliced bread.

Been flying online in BF3 and with my old 60Hz 5ms response monitor/TV i could not acquire a target after turning the jet around to face the enemy as fast as i do now.......which is now instant, lol. It's as silky smooth as if looking at a static sharp image which means that when i'm turning there is no motion blur and everything looks super sharp when turning. This makes acquision of targets 100% possible whilst on the go. My turn around distances for lining myself up to targets are much short now as a result of not needing to take time to "think" essentially. It's Great!

From a game a short while ago....

[​IMG]

...and i'm racking this types of k/d ratio's and mass quantities of kills consistently and with ease on this display. It feels so real, it's an extremely surreal experience each and every second i'm on it. Grin still super glued on my face. :p

18. mdrejhon

mdrejhon Registered

No, except for the fact you need to hit Control+T everytime you enter a game and see double images.

You can optionally install just the .reg file (very easy), without the INF file, in order to make things a little more convenient. Some people have been able to set things up so that everything launches with LightBoost without enabling the 3D stereoscopic checkbox. This results in maximum convenience, but requires the tweaks.

You can't do 144Hz with the VG278H, only the VG278HE.

Yes, the VG278HE.
    Even though the VG278H (not "HE") seems to have slightly less of the "faint sharp afterimage" effect.

19. mdrejhon

mdrejhon Registered

It depends on the variables. If you have a lot of stutter/judder or a lower framerate, then adding more motion blur is a good compromise, as I've already explained in "When is motion blur good?". That said, if your framerate is not the weak link, then motion blur no longer improves motion quality during operations such as competitive FPS video games.

Have you ever played on a CRT before? The I2757FM has great IPS colors but still worse than CRT in motion clarity. I can see motion blur even in the very best IPS panels, even on overclocked 1440p monitors (Overlord and Catleap 2B).

20. KeiKei

KeiKei Registered

Yeah now we're talking about very low input lag combined with high steady refresh rate and almost perfect motion clarity! It really makes huge immersion of actually being there and just like you said allows to start feeling even the smallest movements of the car hence making your steering & pedal inputs gentle and accurate, giving more confidence, etc. It simply takes you to the next level of driving a simulated racecar.

Very pleasant surprise indeed. :) I was already extremely satisfied with 144 Hz regular and now that I'm able to switch HDR etc on, have even lower input lag, better clarity for already excellent motion clarity (at least for simracing), etc... couldn't be happier! :)

If you haven't been able to see the effect yet then look at the pole inside the red rectangle:

View attachment 6371

That's pretty much how it should look on Asus VG278HE (my artistic vision about the effect :)).