rf2 graphics quality expectations

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Nazirull Safry Paijo, Feb 18, 2013.

1. Kknorpp001

Kknorpp001 Banned

Rick! What's up, hombre?! Your Spark gathering dust or have u been driving? Haven't seen you in the forums for a while. U still driving Nords? I had some great fun last week with several folks that joined my server. If u see it jump on. It'll be something like 60sF1Nords. We had great fun just driving and letting folks catch up as needed, etc.

2. MarcG

MarcG Registered

PRIVATE MESSAGE

yes I see the irony in saying that!

3. Barf Factor

Barf Factor Registered

I would always welcome some improvement in the graphics but I think a far more important priority should be proper clutch and gearbox simulation, this is a basic driving mechanic that will add significantly to immersion.

4. K Szczech

K Szczech Registered

It's a common belief, but it's not really true.

Graphics can be improved in various ways and many of them do not add any complexity to game engine.

5. Miro

Miro Registered

+1

6. tjc

tjc Registered

Another +1

7. tjc

tjc Registered

Yet another +1 and really cool video, thanks for posting. :)

8. Gearjammer

Gearjammer Registered

Very cool vid indeed TJC. who ever put that out did an awesome job of editing.

9. Ricknau

Ricknau Registered

Thing is, my PC is fairly high-end. It was an upgrade. And my vid cards are fairly high-end. At least they were a little over a year ago when I bought them. But I'm getting pissed that I can't even find out how well they might do because USING MY SECOND CARD IS WORSE THAT USING ONE CARD. I'll accept in hindsight that it was foolish to buy $500 worth of vid cards before I ever ran the game thinking "that ought to be enough vid power". (Yes, I bought the cards specifically to run rF2.) It never crossed my mind that having two cards would not only not buy me a gain in performance but actually make it worse! But I think I've been very patient for over a year waiting to see what two GTX 560ti-448s can do with a properly executed SLI implementation.

Tim, if your reading this can you toss me a bone? How much longer until we might get a chance to rev up our SLI systems? Can you at least give a ball park answer with the understandable caveat that it is not a promise? Maybe just a hint?

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 9, 2013
  10. Ricknau

Ricknau Registered

Still here just doing more reading than typing. Check your PM inbox.

11. ccjcc81

ccjcc81 Registered

Great post, thanks for vid.

12. ccjcc81

ccjcc81 Registered

+1

13. Gearjammer

Gearjammer Registered

I see in your system specs that you are using tripleheadtogo software for the widescreen. Have you tried it without using that to see how it performs? I have read here on the forums that a lot of people are using SLI and are seeing improvement in FPS so not sure why you would be having this issue.

14. MarcG

MarcG Registered

yeah fair enough you've bought it all specifically for RF2 so the poor optimisation is more noticebale, I feel for you on that front!

15. shum94

shum94 Registered

I expected a lot with rFactor 2, so naturally i'm disapointed. I waited it to buy a new setup so i have not done it, i have no idea how great the ffb is.

Good Graphics & Physics are possible together, i don't accept the speech saying it's not possible.
    I as a simracer want both, when you enter your car in the sim the first thing you see is the graphics, you haven't moved yet and the representation of a race track is there, so graphics comes first, then you move, pit out and run an hotlap, if the physics are bad then the overall becomes bad and the great graphics do not feel great anymore.

When Iracing came out, i felt it was less good in graphics than rFactor. The strong point in rF is the time scale and the shadows system.
    Nowadays Iracing looks better than rFactor 1 & 2, great texturing and shaders i guess.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OycSeHMRbKo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sUwUAR3-tX8

The night looks great, headlights are deep and useful.

The grass looks like grass, the sky is in HR and doesnt look flat, trees are nice.
    Cockpits from ISI are not in the standards of nowadays and when Assetto Corsa will be there, oh my ^^

I hate the standards ISI has, texturing is not HR, sky seem flat and trees are shameful. Feels3 does a great job showing that rFactor 2 has some guts.

The strong point of rF was the shadows and even that in rF2 it's not good anymore.

Now what's this ? No wipers moving, something we got in real but instead we got something we don't see in real, yes why we see raindrops falling from the sky ? And i know rain is not final but please don't make the mistake like Pcars does with rain = big mirror tarmac...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=qhmQGN9-7dk
    This isnt satisfying me either, their rain drops on the windshield is more like snow than rain and i hate their mirrored tarmac

Rain in real in hd :

On the top of all that is an absent communication, i remember the first rFactor days when i came across ISI staff on the virtual track and chatting, beta is out since one year and we don't know really where it's going, i paid and i don't regret it as i support ISI but communication from the boss himself would be nice once in a while.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ijvih-97-IA&feature=player_embedded
    I'd like to see something like that from ISI, explain rFactor 2 engine.

This is just beautiful :
    [​IMG]

Assetto Corsa is coming, with great graphics, and great physics.
    If the steering lag is fixed and with a good netcode, AC will be the sim of the next years

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 10, 2013
  16. Ricknau

Ricknau Registered

TBH I don't read every forum post for SLI issue improvements so I may have missed any where people are saying it has improved. I did see some posts a couple of months ago where others were still seeing no gain or worse.

But since you say that some have seen improvement I have taken it upon myself to go ahead an reinsert my second card for a try. And yea verily, my SLI performance still sucks big-time. My SLI FPS is around 60% of my no-SLI FPS.

Settings:
    5040x1050
    PhysX CPU/GPU - automatic
    No AA
    no HDR
    Bilinear
    multiview on (for testing, I play with it off)
    shadows MED
    15-20 AI
    all else on/full/max

Am I incorrect in thinking that fixing SLI will be a specfic dedicated effort and not just a tweak here and tweak there effort? And that that effort would be worthy of a Build Notes entry?

Regarding the TH2G vs Nvidia Surround, it looks to me like the Nvidia Control Panel setup choice is either SLI or Surround but not both. So eventually, we can only hope, some day, maybe... when it becomes advantageous to use SLI then I think the TH2G will be an asset. Frankly I'm too lazy right now to mess with all my monitor cables and Windows setting to possibly get only a slight bump in single card performance. I tire of clawing for onesy-twosy FPS gains when I know (think, hope, imagine) that a true perfomnace gain-by-design is coming at some time.

Tim, I know you follow this thread. I've directly requested comments from you. Would it kill you inject some company wisdom into the SLI issue? Even a "no comment" comment would be polite.

17. shum94

shum94 Registered

This video is perfect to illustrate what i dislike in rFactor 2 :
    Grass texture is poor and flat
    Trees on the outside of the track are flat and the texture is poor
    Shadows of the trees are weird.

18. stonec

stonec Registered

You shouldn't base your judgement on a random video posted with who knows what graphic settings. The grass texture at LRP looks absolutely find for me, nothing like that shown on the video. I have texture details & AF on full naturally. Slight improvement in lighting and fixing some shadow bugs is all what I would wish.

19. Hedlund_90

Hedlund_90 Registered

Oh I don't care about the negative comments by shum94, I thank him for the video lol. I had not seen it.
    That Megane looks fantastic, cockpit looks great. That's how a cockpit should look like :p

20. shum94

shum94 Registered

I shouldnt be so demanding on content i guess. It's not ISI strong point. But even the strong point (the engine) is not pleasing me.
    Colors, lighting, shadows, shaders, all that need some serious improvments + fix the flickering and weird shadows.