Any tips/tweaks for slow computers?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by breick, Feb 14, 2013.

1. Flaux

Flaux Registered

Change the fsb:ram ratio lordpantsington.

@gearjammer: +1 As it looks I'm going the right way finally... until I build a new system.

2. breick

breick Registered

When its stuttering, the "third line, second purple goes to the end"

View attachment 6285

3. Whykonen

Whykonen Registered

Oc

Look info msi afterburner my gtx 460 runs at 875mhz stable, big fps win combined with e6600 duo at 3.1ghz. Read slot before starting to take some risk by overclocking

4. breick

breick Registered

I have just did a test with the bars settings:

All LOW, 800X600, NONE AA:
    View attachment 6289

Now the config i use, which is 1280X720, AA Level 5, Aniso 4X, LOW/MED:
    View attachment 6290

As we can see, there are no difference in bars.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 17, 2013
  5. MJP

MJP Registered

That looks cpu bound, 800x600 all low should've given you more fps if your cpu was adequate.

6. Gearjammer

Gearjammer Registered

Yep, that is pretty much what I have been telling him with having him OC to test out how the system performs.

7. Flaux

Flaux Registered

So we are missing a cpu graph in rf2... the physics graph dosn't show the hole truth.. general cpu usage...

8. TIG_green

TIG_green Registered

Judging by this I'm not at least CPU bound?:

View attachment 6293

Pretty low usage of fourth core.

This was recorded turing two laps in Pocoyo Park with Clios.

9. JGraf

JGraf Registered

i think there's more going on here than meets the eye.
    after some testing of my own, breick is right... many graphic settings do pretty much nothing.
    AA off, or AA8x has no effect on fps, neither at the cards control panel (override all application settings) or (application controlled) in-game video config.
    not just AA but all settings from performance to quality do pretty much nothing.
    FXAA on or off, has no effect on fps.
    any screen resolution from 800x600 to 1920x1080 has no effect on fps.
    in-game display, Details settings, LOW seems to be a slightly worse on fps than FULL...
    something is fishy about this, grant it, my pc is more junk than his, but others with more powerful systems are seeing similar results.
    maybe it all needs a closer look.
    the range of FOV settings in cockpit view has a big impact on fps.

10. Novis

Novis Registered

Then something happens that screws the CPU. You are sure that there is no other program running at intervals that take possession of the CPU?

As RF2 pretty much only uses two active threads only two cores can be in use simultaniously. What you see is Windows balancing the load to three cores.

General CPU usage is not interesting as RF2 can't use all cores of a CPU. The graphics thread try to use as much processor time as it can. The physics thread only need just enough time to do the calculations. Logging with the Performance monitor can show you when the sum of processor time of all threads in RF2 get close to 2.

11. Novis

Novis Registered

Whenever this happens is an indication that you're not GPU limited. If running with vsync off that probably means that you instead are CPU limited. Only measuring over time with tools like fraps and with different speed combinations on CPU/GPU will tell you if you're always limited by the same piece of hardware. That of course requires that you can replay the same scenario time after time which is not possible during online gaming.

12. Rony1984

Rony1984 Registered

Haven't followed this thread really so dont know the background of your problems, but when this purple beam extends fully to the right with somewhat steady intervals, I would check whether CPU throttling is enabled in your bios. This is what caused these drops in CPU performance on my machine.

13. Diablo

Diablo Registered

Yes, maybe I should have been clearer, when I was asking for overheating earlier. Intel CPUs throttle themselves in the overheating case. And don´t just look at some monitoring program and say, it doesn´t overheat, sometimes those get it wrong.
    I would suggest disabling Thermal Throttling in the BIOS for testing purposes only and see if those stutters disappear. If so, you have an overheating problem and should check/clean/upgrade your CPU cooler right away.

Do not disable Thermal Throttling permanently, because it is a vital safety measure!

14. breick

breick Registered

@Novis no other program Running.

@Jgraph i don't use cockpit view, and your testing is similar to mine.

@Rony and Diablo i have all power settings, cooler otions off, not save energy, or noise, etc.

15. Diablo

Diablo Registered

Thermal Throttling is not a power saving or cooling/noise option. It is a safety feature introduced a while back by Intel, so to protect their CPUs from dying of overheating or less fatal shutting down due to that. In case of running too hot the CPU forcibly runs at a lower clock speed to cool down. Since you are running a higher base clock rate when overclocking, that cool down power state is likely to run at a higher speed as well, so might mask the throttling if it happens.

If you don´t find a BIOS setup option that´s actually called "Thermal Throttling" or similar, then you cannot change it there. In that case I´d say the throttling behaviour is undefined, meaning one cannot know, if it is on or off. In my case that option doesn´t even work, it is there but does nothing to activate "Hardware Thermal Control" on my Phenom II X4. I found that out by using a third party tool, that can get/set that option at runtime. That tool can also tell me if the CPU has been running in the cool down state:
    Code:
    C:\Program Files\TurionPowerControl>TurionPowerControl.exe -htc
    Turion Power States Optimization and Control - by blackshard - v0.43

Hardware Thermal Control Status:

--- Node 0:
    HTC features enabled flag: true. Hardware Thermal Control is enabled.
    HTC features currently active (means overheating): false
    HTC features has been active (means overheated in past): true
    HTC parameters are locked: false
    HTC Slew control: by Tctl without Slew register
    HTC Limit temperature (equal or above means overheating): 62
    HTC Hysteresis temperature (equal or below means no more overheating) : 60
    HTC PState Limit: 3

Done.
    Oops, I guess I need to dust out my cooler, again. ;)
    Since that one is for AMD CPUs only it won´t help you, but I am positive there are such tools for Intel as well.

I think he meant the "vertical FOV" display option, that applies to all views, not only cockpit.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 18, 2013
  16. breick

breick Registered

I've just checked and it was disabled in BIOS already.

Vertical FOV, i tried from to 10 to 100, no difference.

17. Diablo

Diablo Registered

Doesn´t necessarily mean it is really disabled.
    However, I just wanted to cover all bases, nevermind if you don´t want to.

18. JGraf

JGraf Registered

i don't know, most every track i run just fine fps, and never fall out of real time.
    shadows, fov and other eye candy do impact the fps, just not those things i mentioned in my test above.
    i made some replies in here blindly attempting to assist breick before i ran my own tests to come to these conclusions, has anyone else?

19. breick

breick Registered

Yeah Guys i just tested 2 more new "generation" games wich are going to compete with Rfactor 2.

Both RaceRoom Experience and Asseto Corsa runs better in the same graphics conditions, no micro-stutters, fps Drops or slow downs.

So in my opinion Rfactor 2 needs lots of optimization.

Here is the picture my PC running Asseto Corsa Technology Preview, looks to the CPU usage, look to RAM usage!

View attachment 6423

20. Gearjammer

Gearjammer Registered

Or the other "sims" need better physics and FFB. ;)