Any tips/tweaks for slow computers?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by breick, Feb 14, 2013.

1. Nand Gate

Nand Gate Banned

My God the amount of "experts" makes me wanna puke.

For a start - Hermmie - yeah you - be quiet. You don't know what you are talking about, so stop trying to pretend you do. "Honestly, please for gods sake upgrade at least your ram.""All i know is that any micro stutters i ever had were memory related. 2 GB is not enough in my opinion. Just my two cents". I have noticed that people who don't know, always just say more RAM. Even though his RAM IS limited it is ENOUGH, and he will experience next to NO FPS difference by increasing it. The maximum available amount of RAM per process for a 32-bit OS is 2 GB. In 1.2Gb his OS max's out. If anything he needs VIDEO RAM. Currently he gets by with 57.6GB/sec video RAM bandwidth. For $289 I have 240GB/sec.

Step 1: Spend as close to $300 on a vid card as your can. You can use it in your future upgrades, but a
    nything else has such a MINOR effect on FPS you can safely ignore the advice. I think you will find that is what you need.

Other stuff will help but not if your graphics card is not up to scratch.

HAVE YOU TURNED IT ON AND OFFF? 64GB RAM IS FASTER THAN 32GB IN RF2 MINE RUNS FASTER WITH MY CAT ON IT

ffs shoot me - why talk when you don't understand? All you are doing is making it hard for people.

EDIT: If you gave me your computer and I used water cooling and 16Gb RAM and spent a week expertly over clocking it - I would be lucky to increase FPS by 14-18% on average. A new video card will jump you up to 60-100%.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 15, 2013
  2. Golanv

Golanv Registered

The Angry man is correct.
    When talking about improving the performace with money involved, get GPU that is up to snuff, its the absolute biggest fps gain here. Next in line is mb, cpu, memory (these changes usually requires more powerful power supply). After that its all about, input lag, loading times and picture quality, not frames per second.
    Merely getting faster memory or increasing its amount is usually not the wisest way to go, unless you are really ill equipped for the task at hand in the first place. Find out what is your system using effectively first before wasting money on mere peanuts.

When talking about imroving performance without money being involved. Theres other wizards for that, but I can say this much:
    Ingame graphics settings, GPU driver settings, windows tweaks, other programs running (depending on program) is the order you will gain frames the most.

3. Hermmie

Hermmie Registered

@ angry Aussie

I'm constantly with rFactor since it came out in 2005 and played F1C for a long time as well. Thats just what i experienced over the last 8-9 years time when having issues with my own machine. RAM helped me FOR MICRO STUTTERS, NOT FPS and i suggested him getting more since it is by far the cheapest option. I also said that a better graphics card is most important, but its a money issue.

But thats just how some folks are i guess. I wanted to help with the experience i made but if you are so much smarter and tell others to be quiet, i will just continue reading the forums without posting. I really have better things to do in my spare time than trying to help complete strangers and getting comments like yours.

4. Nand Gate

Nand Gate Banned

coolies. Best to not make people waste what little money they already have.

EDIT: Sorry if I come across as "angry". I probably spend too much time on the internet and you can get tired of certain...endlessly repeating cycles. Like people giving health advice with no background in medicine. Exasperated might be more accurate than angry.

I also tend to find people have extremely thin skin....prolly just me ;) When I first saw this I saw that there were 40 odd replies for a new post asking about computer gaming optimization....I rolled my eyes and thought "awright let's see how many experts there are here" so you might have been doomed from the start? ;)

5. breick

breick Registered

I understand and i agree with you, but the point is that i don't want more FPS, or better graphics, i'm happy for what a have, the issue is stutter and drop FPS, these happens even on slowest settings.

My VGA is not the best, but it is what ISI says is recommended:

Video Card: nVidia 250 GTS or ATI/AMD 4870 or better

6. Golanv

Golanv Registered

Well thats easy to fix. Just pop adaptive sync on from the drivers or software sync from within the game and the stutter issue should go byebye.

7. Gearjammer

Gearjammer Registered

Well Nand, you accuse everyone of being an "expert" and yet you offer very little to the OP on what his main issue was in the first place, which as stated above was micro-stutter, not fps. The OP obviously has been doing some work on his system as he has minimal programs running at startup and his Windows is set to not chew up a lot of GPU time with things like wallpapers and such. Perhaps if you stepped off of your high horse and offered some real advice your attitude might actually come across different than just being rude. By real advice, I am not talking about what might have worked for you one time, but real proven advice that has worked on multiple systems and configurations. Everyone has their own story about what happened with their own computers, but not many have worked in the field where they have several hundred or over 1000 systems worked on and repaired. Every system is different so how you approach the issue makes all the difference.

The OP stated that he was getting close to full CPU usage all the time, which would indicate that the CPU was a bottleneck. By suggesting that he attempt an overclock, it would reduce the bottleneck and very likely smooth out the graphics for him. This wasn't an attempt to gain more fps, though that would have been a nice addition, but was an attempt to handle the load better. If his system is throttling back due to severe load and heat, then he will get frame drops and stutter. Granted if heat were the issue, the throttling would not be for a micro-second, but would last until the heat dissipated. Increasing the horsepower of the CPU would show us if the issue is hardware related or software and is the easiest thing to troubleshoot. Playing with new hardware is nice, but if the OP can not afford it, or doesn't wish to spend the money, then you can't go down that road.

8. breick

breick Registered

My motherboard is not good for overclock, it is based on G31 INtel chipset.

I did some testing, and i could go from 2,8GHZ to 3,0GHZ easy, but i can't go further because of memory RAM, which overclock too.

If i luck i can go to 3,2GHZ.

I didn't notice any difference in FPS, but i couldn't test a race, to see if there are less drops/stutters.

I will do some later tests.

9. dsuspense

dsuspense Registered

I solved my performance problem by upgrading my whole system.
    I was doing ok on an HP dv7 (Intel i5) 8Gig laptop with an ATI Radeon HD 6490m.
    Have had to sacrifice details for 30-60 FPS.
    I just bought a Lenovo Y500, which has an NVIDIA GeForce GT650M 2GB GFX card.
    I will eventually do SLI with this as well, so I should be good to go for a few years.
    I spent $780, should get about $400 for my current laptop, so for about $380 I am upgrading CPU and GFX.
    Its worth it for me...

10. Diablo

Diablo Registered

Hmm, reading your posts again breick, you said, all your attempts to increase your FPS basically failed from a certain point onwards. And AA settings make no real difference in the FPS readings, but have you actually checked if it changes anything in the worst case? Reducing or disabling AA or other features might not result in higher top or average frame rates, but it could mitigate those stutters and deep performance drops. Under normal conditions you seem to be CPU limited, but I think it is not too far fetched that the situation changes to GPU limited with just enough complexity, that´s when high AA settings really hurt. I think it is possible, that you don´t notice it when racing against AI, because the code path could be different then.
    I´d say try the lowest quality settings at the lowest possible resolution, no matter how bad it may look, and do a test run in worst case conditions.

Oh, and one more thing, if I remember correctly, you said you experience those problems in online races. You didn´t host those yourself, did you?

11. breick

breick Registered

It was in race2play, i never hosted any event.

All low didnt change the drop fps, stutter, but i never lower resolution, i could do that.

But i just overclocked the CPu from 2,8ghz to 3,14ghz, and memory from 667mhz to 750 mhz, and from the test i did with 20 ai cars (6 visible) short races, i didnt have stutters, or big drops. Start to finish i had more than 50 fps, this is great news for me.

I will do 2 online races this weekend, 45 min and 80 mins, if everything works ok, the overclock did the trick.

RECOMMENDED:

CPU: 3.0 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo or 3.0 GHz AMD Athlon II x2 or better

So when i cross the recomended the stutters gone, i will confirm tomorrow.

Looks good, i can overclock only when i going to race in leagues, running by myself i will keep stock clock, to prevent hardware "hurt", because its very hot right now, and i don't have good cooler system.

12. Gearjammer

Gearjammer Registered

Glad to hear that helped you out. As I suspected, the CPU was the main issue for you. I would consider looking to see if anyone has a better CPU (one with a higher Ghz rating) on ebay or what ever is available to you for your motherboard. You should be able to find information on the motherboard manufacturer's site about what CPU's it can handle, so you won't have to overclock.

13. breick

breick Registered

My motherboard brand has shutdown the business and site, you can't even donwload drivers anymore lol.

Its difficult to find CPU for LGA775 socket nowadays, is all about core i3, i5, i7.

So i will stick with overclock.

14. Gearjammer

Gearjammer Registered

Well, hope it does the job until you have the opportunity to get a new system and again, glad I was able to suggest something that helped you out. :)

15. breick

breick Registered

yeah thx a lot, it will be "stress test" weekend...

16. Flaux

Flaux Registered

Hey guys I'm also thinking about updating my cpu. Should I stay with a high clocked duo or go for a quad? Don't want to upgrade to an i5 or 7 right now....

17. peterchen

peterchen Registered

Hi Flaux,
    Why no i5?
    It´s one of the finest!

Greets pete

18. Gearjammer

Gearjammer Registered

If you are only using the system for gaming, then a duo with higher clocks will get you better performance than a quad with lower clocks. Most games don't use multiple cores or hyper-threading too well yet. If however you are using the system for 3D renders or movie encoding then by all means get more cores.

If you have the chance to get the i5 then I would go that route as it is a lot more powerful than others, but get the Ivy bridge technology.

19. Novis

Novis Registered

Look who's talking...

About your fps problem, I have even lower-end hardware and less issues so I guess your problem is a setup issue. I would drop the AA cos that must do a difference on a low-end card. If not check your driver settings so they don't override AA settings in the game. Same with texture quality.

Turn on thread load plot with CTRL-C (I think, someone can correct me if I wrong) and check if CPU is overloaded. Run Afterburner and make sure your GPU get a 100% load.

20. Rino1970

Rino1970 Registered

Buy a faster computer.