How to create a VMOD

Discussion in 'Technical Archives' started by Weasel_DB, Feb 12, 2013.

1. Weasel_DB

Weasel_DB Registered

I have found very little information on how to create a VMOD from start to finish. There is one Youtube video but it seems to be a different version than I have. The MOD Manager has no way to create a package or VMOD. It looks like from the video that the MOD Manager has about 6 less buttons on the toolbar. How, in detail, does one do this? Thank you.

2. Max Angelo

Max Angelo Registered

The video is ok, just one different icon because it changed in build 135 if i remember correct, but the main point is that you dont build VMods with Mod Manager, but with MAS2.

MAS2.exe is located in rFactor2/Support/Tools

3. F1Fan07

F1Fan07 Member

Yeah, I just built a VMod with that tutorial. It worked perfectly. The only difference is instead of clicking P on the menu bar I think it's an icon of a box.

4. DougSpinster

DougSpinster Registered

Is there a site that tells us what to do? I saw the video on YouTube and it was suppose to help beginners .It sure wasn't to beginner friendly to me. Really wonder why it has to be so complicated to have a mod race on a track. :(

5. DocJones

DocJones Registered

There's a help file in ...\rFactor2\Support\Tools\ called ModMaker.chm with all the necessary instructions. In the 'Mod Packages' section be sure to read the 'Creating a Mod Package Using the Mod Packaging Wizard' and 'Customizing, Registering, and Packaging a Mod Using the Advanced Packaging Dialog' articles.

6. Thomas

Thomas Registered

Hey,

i have a problem with building a vmod. I made a clean install of the sampler build 198. When i start MAS2.exe and try to make a new mod package, there are no Tracks or Vehicles to choose... anybody has an idea what im doing wrong?

edit: Ok, problem solved. I am using linux with wine and it was simply a typo in the path variable for the Packages folder...

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 22, 2013
  7. MikeVa

MikeVa Registered

I'm haven't tried the vmod thing..but getting ready to. Question is...if I create it and it works..can we just update the current vmod..or do you have to create a whole new one each time you want to add a new track or mod? B

8. Craigjw

Craigjw Registered

Creating a VMOD is a painful process, particularly if it goes wrong.

9. TIG_green

TIG_green Registered

There's an update function. Haven't really tested it.

10. TIG_green

TIG_green Registered

Goes wrong how? Verify process can go wrong if you type wrong password etc. but you can save those so you don't have to type them every time, I think.

11. Eaglerapids

Eaglerapids Registered

I just made a Vmod pretty easily but don't see a way to edit the Vmod. A mod can be edited (but I haven't tried) but if there is a way to edit a Vmod I haven't found it yet.
    If I try to run the allcarstracks mod in singleplayer (build 240) the sim crashes to desktop every time I hit the race button so now, at least, I can make a Vmod to run a particular car at at any track.

12. MJP

MJP Registered

A vmod is just like a mod, it just doesn't have any content of its own. Or are you telling us that your version of the MAS tool doesn't have an 'Edit Existing Mod Package' button directly under the 'Create Mod Package' button you used to start making your vmod?

13. Eaglerapids

Eaglerapids Registered

I don't know why but when I had picked the edit option it didn't show my mod and it took me a bit to figure out where it was (C>users>username>appdata>mastemp{whatever that was exactly})>xxx.mas and then when I did pick it and tried to edit it, it got corrupted or something so I deleted it and started over. I finally did get a Vmod made and then edited it to add more tracks and cars.
    So, yes, it works. After a few hours work, it's easy, but I can sure understand why somebody who only wants to race an Eve F1 at Silverstone or a Megane at Mountain Forest gets so freaking frustrated when he has to jump through so many hoops instead of just picking a track and a car and going racing.
    While I'm at it, I'm not sure the auto update is working properly. In my efforts to get the all tracks and cars mod working I uninstalled rF2 and reinstalled. It didn't get the mod working but the menu was updated in the launcher upon reinstall which hadn't happened with the auto update.

14. TIG_green

TIG_green Registered

All cars and tracks should work fine, never had any trouble with it. No need to create vmod for offline.

Maybe one day when you can make championships by creating vmod, it could be useful.

15. Eaglerapids

Eaglerapids Registered

I am thrilled it works fine for you and that you have never had any trouble with it!
    Unfortunately that is not the case for me. I am just trying to help any other person in the same boat as me by sharing my experience with creating a Vmod to be able to run any car at any track.

16. TIG_green

TIG_green Registered

Didn't want to underestimate your problem, I hope you will find a fix soon because this is a basic thing that should really work for us all. Just wanted you to know that it isn't any way normal or even a common problem.