G27 ffb

Discussion in 'Technical Archives' started by Provost, Feb 12, 2013.

1. Provost

Provost Registered

Hello,

If this has been mentioned before, sorry.

I have a G27, since I got rF2 I have had problems with my FFB. I ignored it as I thought it would be fixed in coming builds. But it hasn't.

When driving the FFB it AMAZINGLY rattly and very noise. I have tried everything but nothing is working. It is worst when simply driving on the grass.

I can't drive with it as you can hear the wheel on the other side of my house. I don't think that it is my wheel as it's not too old and isn't loud on other sims.

Thanks,
    Provost

2. ProTraX

ProTraX Registered

Hello.
    They added a feature called "FFB smoothing". Increasing the number on this feature, should fix your rattling.
    I had the same problem, and everything is fine for me on "14".
    You can increase it if it doesnt help to test. Also be sure to not start rFactor 2 as Admin. I think if you start as Admin, it won't apply on the wheel. In my case i had to start without Admin.

[​IMG]

Hope that helps

3. Provost

Provost Registered

Worked perfectly, has to put it to 16. Thanks.

4. Brettfan

Brettfan Registered

If You have set FFB smoothing to 14,how strong do You set the FFB Force to 1.40 or more?

5. Lazza

Lazza Registered

The smoothing doesn't affect the overall force at all. That is to say, if the game is producing a force of +8000 through a corner, the smoothed force will also reach +8000. So there's no need to increase the overall force.

Smoothing does introduce some lag and loss of fidelity at low forces that wouldn't introduce the rattling if smoothing weren't applied, but that's another issue entirely.

6. Diablo

Diablo Registered

Well, the smoothing does affect the overall effects strength somewhat. If I remember correctly it is a triangle filter. Take for example three consecutive samples: +100, +10000, +100. The smoothing filter will calculate a weighted average over these three samples, so the force output will never reach that +10000 value.
    But take another example, three consecutive samples, all of them +10000, so a constant force over those three samples. Averaging will still result in +10000. So in this case the overall output is equal for the smoothing and the non-smoothing case.

Smooting is meant to flatten sudden huge changes in the FFB forces, so I´d say the best way is, to increase the smoothing filter width one sample at a time, starting at 1, until you are satisfied and leave the FFB multiplier alone.

BTW, I have found that, without smoothing, the default FFB multiplier of 1.0 already is a little too high for my taste, because I run into saturation/clipping quite a lot. One can check that themselves by using the rF2 Pedal & FFB Overlay Plugin.

Cheers,
    Marcus