What happened to the sim racing community with rFactor 2?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Guy Moulton, Feb 10, 2013.

1. MarcG

MarcG Registered

its quite simple to find the tracks when you open your eyes and look at the forum, thats what I was getting at......todays lazy society need to be pampered for just about everything it seems, bring back the belts in school!

2. johnconner

johnconner Registered

LOL sory man i have to much work to do with the dam cars no time to look and i missed it because it says W>I>P in the hedder thanks for the pointer.

3. Guy Moulton

Guy Moulton Registered

Marcus, that's the thread right there. Eloquently put and right on the money.

IMHO rF2 will last much longer than 3 years, and I think I'll get a lot for my $84. I upgraded to lifetime this past month. rF1 is still going strong and it is 6 years old. Even Race 07- which was never as popular as rF1- is still going strong. You can keep going back too- GTR2, GPL, GTL etc all have fan bases because of the modding. The community piggy-backs the modders who keep the games alive. If rF2 implements all the promised features, it will last a decade+ because there is nothing it will lack (except maybe the visuals and games like GPL have proven that sim racers value visuals very low on their list of priorities). Once rF2 has dirt physics and point-to-point timing, I can't think of anything it will not have- the tire model ISI is making is amazing.

4. R1CHO

R1CHO Registered

Thanks Tim...... lmao

5. johnconner

johnconner Registered

In addition to the stock vehicles and circuits available in rFactor, a steady stream of unofficial mods has become available. One of the earliest mods was F3 vehicle mod, which became very popular for some time and was later officially included in the game, although with fictitious branding. Many more modifications were released, including ones that recreated seasons from Formula One, NASCAR, IndyCar and V8 Supercars. With the release of the SDK many new venues were created and released as unofficial addons to the game. Many of the circuits for rFactor were converted from other games, including GTR, GT Legends, TOCA Race Driver, Grand Prix 4 and GP Legends.

6. Sam Moss

Sam Moss Registered

This is the problem that rFactor had in the end. People expected modders to spend months / years creating mods in their free time as their hobby only for some other person demand that they should let them use it.

Many of the mod teams and good community members simply got fed up of all the childish people at places like RSC so simply moved on. For a game like rF2 and possibly AC that relys heavily on mod's its up to the people to create the good community.

rFactor was popular because members made it a good community. Pete Walsh with rF Central, the guys that ran the RSC boards.

7. Kknorpp001

Kknorpp001 Banned

What community? :p

8. Nibiru

Nibiru Registered

Wow what a thread and was shocked to see xfactor gets a mention. Almost makes you not want do any more. For the record Guy the xfactor community has released 3 conversions and 2 officially here at ISI so don't go saying we hoard or don't share. Yes you may have seen other tracks on our servers as we have a few works in progress at once and have them up for testing purposes. All the tracks we do we have tried to ask for permission if needed and if we don't get it then it doesn't get released and most are waiting replys. It seems you think it takes a few minutes to make a track and you should instantly have everything you see on servers.

Just like when your trying to decide when to make your next pass on the driver ahead a little patience is needed. All good things come to those that wait. I have been working on a Melbourne Track which has taken 2 months so far and I'm still only about half way.

9. Knight of Redemption

Knight of Redemption Registered

Nibiru please don't take the comments made by some as representative of us all, for every person that complains about the way Modders choose to go about their work, there are hundreds of racers that appreciate that work and the people that do it.

10. Golanv

Golanv Registered

+1

11. 1959nikos

1959nikos Registered

12. peterchen

peterchen Registered

+1

I also think that it´s too early to moan about releases like the OP does.

BUT: We should care about it! I´m also frightened that the community splits out and turns to something diffuse...

Remember good old rfactorcentral. Alle in one for all!

Greets
    Pete

13. MOD43

MOD43 Registered

+1 to this

Guy what you may not realise is that your actions have caused many people like myself to not have access to McNolo's future releases and updates of the great work. McNolo was not hoarding his work for his friends he was granting access to anyone who went to his forum and asked. And now because of your actions a lot of people will lose out.